HDS Clicky Programmable Drive Current...?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to Travis' generosity, and/or his need to have his vehicle repaired, a batch of incredibly rare high CRI Nichias were put up for sale in the Marketplace. I snagged one, only to find myself in a quandary: what is the perfect host for this LED?

My thoughts turned to the HDS Clicky, which gets extremely favorable reviews for both its build quality and its extensively programmable UI. Tekno_Cowboy has confirmed that the LED can be put in an HDS light, but I am uncertain about the drive current. I've studied some of the threads and I read through the user manual, but I could not find a published account of how the 23 internal brightness levels correlate to a particular drive current.

Ideally, I would like to set the HDS light to a single mode, with 700mA going to the LED. This is the stated safe maximum for the Nichia. Now, I believe Henry said that the light is calibrated for a given runtime. That runtime will depend exactly on how much current it draws, which is in turn determined by the particular Vf of the LED.

So, given the requirement for a particular runtime, we must adjust the current. How much current depends on the Vf of the LED.

Is this correct? Is it the case that there is no way to know precisely (in advance, without measurement) what the current to the LED is at each brightness level for a given HDS light because they are calibrated for the particular Vf of the LED in that light?

Man, that sounded way more wordy than I wanted. :ohgeez:

Last edited: