Mag C to D Adaptor DIY

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order to test the MagDragon Jr. (This light, build on Mag C body: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/288704)
on the Full Size MagDragon Head with 75mm lens (This light, built on Mag D platform https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280670)

I needed a mag C to Mag D adapter. After extensive search, I was not able to find one for sale nor was I able to find one that's ever being made.

I decided to make one.

Here is the starting material: Mag C head & mag D tube:
dscf7326.jpg

using my trusty table saw, I made two pieces:
The black one is from Mag C head that carries the C thread & the white one is from Mag D tube that carries the D thread.
dscf7331.jpg

It was necessary to bore out the Mag D tube a bit, as the adaptor from Mag C start to get real thin & still too fat to plug into the D tube.
dscf7329.jpg

The two pieces plug into each other & permantly bonded together by JB weld.
The inside of the adapter carries mag C Thread & The outside carries the Mag D thread:
dscf7333.jpg

The adapter in action on MagDragon Jr.'s C body.
dscf7341h.jpg

Now the Jr. body mounted into the MagDragon head, wola!:
dscf7344n.jpg

It's getting really late, I'll have to wait for tomorrow to take some beam shots & lux measurements.

Last edited:

bob4apple

Enlightened
Let me be the first to say: THAT IS SICK!!!... in a good way, of course.

I'm totally impressed, without seeing beamshots. You truly have a one-of-a-kind "Dark Knight Meets Silver Surfer Photon Blaster".

Congrats! :twothumbs

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sha,

WAY cool! can't wait to see the beamshots..... hope the rain lets up so you can take some pics...

Now, I'm itching to make a M@G C head to SF C thread adapter. I've got access to a nice lathe, any suggestions where to start?

Hill

Enlightened
Great idea my man!

You just don't quit...and I LIKE that :thumbsup:

This is what keeps me coming back. What's next? :poke:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sha,

WAY cool! can't wait to see the beamshots..... hope the rain lets up so you can take some pics...

Now, I'm itching to make a M@G C head to SF C thread adapter. I've got access to a nice lathe, any suggestions where to start?

Thanks.

Are you trying to use Surefire C body in a mag C head?
I don't have a lathe, so what I would have done if I had the needs would be to cut the thread section of Mac C tube & mount it to the outside of a grind down surefire C head, assume the diameters work out, I am sure one can tell if it's doable just by looking at them.

But you have a lathe, I assume you could take piece of raw bar & make inside thread to accept Surefire C body & outside thread going into Mag C?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sha,

I haven't had a chance to learn how to do threading on the lathe but I know that would be the preferred method. Just have to invest in a few inexpensive L2 heads and some time....

Probably too wet to get any outside beamshots tonight of the MD Jr.?...

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sha,

I haven't had a chance to learn how to do threading on the lathe but I know that would be the preferred method. Just have to invest in a few inexpensive L2 heads and some time....

Probably too wet to get any outside beamshots tonight of the MD Jr.?...

yes, still raining. I spent the evening doing a sequal of the franken mags: The magDaddy :)