Keychain LED lights

CarryTheSun

Newly Enlightened
The last thread about this topic was from 2007 so it's probably time to start a new one.

I carry a Quark 123^2 with me most days but I would really like to have a keychain light, just a nice backup or when I need to lend my keys to someone.

I know there's a lot of keychain sized flashlights but which is the smallest which can still produce reasonable light (more than those cheap ones you squeeze).

Size is probably the #1 factor (besides keeping the thing hopefully < $100). What are your feelings on this?

Quick side note: I know this is my first post so if I've run afoul of any of the rules please let me know.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
since you have the quark mini 123^2, why not get the quark mini cr2 for keychain? or the new preon ReVo?

joe1512

Enlightened
The ReVo is ok, but Id rather have an itp A3.

What kind of battery chargers do you already have? Do you use RCR123s, or just plain CR123s for your quark? How bout AA/AAA rechargables?
Got any 18650s?

I personally carry an itp A1 with an RCR123. This gives over 200 lumens in high mode with a simple twisty that prevents accidental turn-on and gives 3 plain modes at good brightness levels. I can top it off whenever I want. It is stainless steel so looks decent at is 30 bucks.

That might be too heavy for some people though. I have had no issue, but I can see the appeal of a really nice smaller light.

The CR2 one is tempting (though 100 bucks for the titanium one! plus dont think you can use rechargables). It has most of the kick of mine but less length and not as fat (and thus heavy).

Another option is the illuminiTI. It is about 50 bucks or less and it is titanium and looks nice, is lightweight, uses an XP-G emitter for maximum efficiency and brightness and uses a AAA. This seems like an impressive light for the price.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
iTP A3 is what we use in our platoon, as keychain light. Superbright for an AAA size, rugged, and one alkaline battery will last a very long time :whistle:

Ian2381

Enlightened
iTP A3 is what we use in our platoon, as keychain light. Superbright for an AAA size, rugged, and one alkaline battery will last a very long time :whistle:

I like the ITP A3, Just hpe you won't rely too much on alkalines. It leaks like crazy. I suggest Eneloop AAA or a Energizer Lithium AAA.:grin2:

ama230

Enlightened
Photon Rex: $17.50 Check it out at battery junction as this is a great company and they have a cpf member coupon. I carry this around my neck on an icon lanyard and its super bright with great runtimes. If you like the photon freedom circuitry, then you'll love this.

theshorelinemarket_2118_670701657
theshorelinemarket_2118_670769815

Now with Nichia GS LED!

The new Photon ReX features four extremely bright LEDs in a single line array. The entire array has Freedom features which include variable brightness, multiple signal modes and an automatic SOS mode. The SOS feature alone, if used by stranded hikers or motorists, could enable search and rescue teams to locate people who might otherwise not be found. The most important break-through feature of the Rex is, of course, its recharging ability. By simply connecting to any common battery, the Rex can be recharged up to 500 times!

• Inexpensive to operate
    No more disposable coin-cell batteries! The ReX will charge from any standard battery of 6 volts or less. Your average cost is 6 cents per charge when using an alkaline "D" cell battery. When charged from a AA rechargeable NiMH your cost is only 1/3 of a cent per charge without any trail of discarded batteries!*
  • ReX with proprietary Freedom digital circuitry
    Photon's proprietary Freedom digital circuitry provides simple on/off control, full-range adjustable brightness, plus additional safety strobe functions and a momentary/signaling mode.
  • Rechargeable from Most Household Batteries
    The ReX will blink slowly to indicate charging is in progress. When the charge is complete, it will stop blinking and turn itself off. When charging from disposable alkaline batteries, LRI estimates approximately 2 full charges from a typical AA, or 20 charges from a D battery. A single rechargeable NiMH AA battery will typically provide approximately 3 full charges of the ReX per charge.
  • Accessories coming soon for both solar and USB charging.
Hope this helps....
Also not affiliated with this company, just love their products and great prices.

Eric Ramirez

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
keychain carry for under $100?

For me that would be Fenix LD01 using an NiMH AAA cell. 3 levels, med-low-high and is very tough and sturdy, i once threw mine straight up in the air as high as i could to land on concrete just to prove to a non-believer how tough the light was and why it was better than his 9-LED showerhead, 3xAAA battery carrier POS light.

DM51

Flashaholic
The last thread about this topic was from 2007 so it's probably time to start a new one.
In fact, there have been a few other similar threads since then...

Recommendations for good, inexpensive keychain light?
Advice on my first keychain flashlight
"Best" LED light for keychain...
Help me decide on a AAA keychain light
Best keychain light?
First Keychain Light
rugged keychain light
Best keychain LED light
In the market for a keychain LED, suggestion please
Which keychain light?
Best AAA Keychain?
Budget 1x AAA Keychain Flashlight Suggestions
KeyChain LED Suggestions
Best Keychain Flashlight under $35
Recommendation for 1 AAA keychain light
Good Light for Keychain
Looking for a new 1AAA keychain light
Best keychain light
Any good keychain lights?
What's the highest performing keychain light?
Best Flashlight using 1xAAA or 1AA? (to use on keychain)
keychain flashlight
Keychain LED recommendation
Looking for waterproof/bombproof keychain light
The brightest 1xAAA keychain light?
Recommendation for Keychain Light
Keychain light suggestions please...
best keychain LED?
Keychain Light?
newbie keychain question
Keychain Lights
best keychain flashlight search
Need advice on keychain and general purpose flashlights
Looking For A New AAA Keychain Light
Brightest smallest keychain light?
Micro/keychain AAA recommendations?
Best cheap LED keychain light?
Recommend me a new AAA keychain light
keychain led
Which is a better keychain light?
New here, Looking for a great keychain light.
Searching for very (!) small keychain light...
LED Keychain suggestions?
Smallest keychain LED?
Keychain Lights
Keychain light questions
Best value in a keychain Flashlight
What's a good keychain light?
Keychain light and EDC for me........
New Torch for my Keychain
What's the brightest LED keychain light?
Brightest Smallest Keychain LED
Help me choose a high power Keychain light???
Best inexpensive keychain light(s)?
What is the best LED keychain flashlight
extreme light keychain LED
recommend keychain light
Keychain Light
Keychain light?
Keychain flashlights
keychain LED
KEYCHAIN LIGHT QUESTIONS
Seeking Recommendations for keychain LED
Keychain carry
Best/Brightest Keychain Light?
Best keychain light?
Brightest LED keychain
Single 123 Keychain Light
Smallest Keychain LED Light
Which keychain type LED is the brightest?
Need help with next keychain light
Looking for a keychain LED light
Keychain light suggestions?
Please someone- an elegant AAA keychain light

... and quite a few more :whistle:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Rex: $17.50 Check it out at battery junction as this is a great company and they have a cpf member coupon. I carry this around my neck on an icon lanyard and its super bright with great runtimes. If you like the photon freedom circuitry, then you'll love this.

theshorelinemarket_2118_670701657
theshorelinemarket_2118_670769815

Now with Nichia GS LED!

The new Photon ReX features four extremely bright LEDs in a single line array. The entire array has Freedom features which include variable brightness, multiple signal modes and an automatic SOS mode. The SOS feature alone, if used by stranded hikers or motorists, could enable search and rescue teams to locate people who might otherwise not be found. The most important break-through feature of the Rex is, of course, its recharging ability. By simply connecting to any common battery, the Rex can be recharged up to 500 times!

• Inexpensive to operate
    No more disposable coin-cell batteries! The ReX will charge from any standard battery of 6 volts or less. Your average cost is 6 cents per charge when using an alkaline "D" cell battery. When charged from a AA rechargeable NiMH your cost is only 1/3 of a cent per charge without any trail of discarded batteries!*
  • ReX with proprietary Freedom digital circuitry
    Photon's proprietary Freedom digital circuitry provides simple on/off control, full-range adjustable brightness, plus additional safety strobe functions and a momentary/signaling mode.
  • Rechargeable from Most Household Batteries
    The ReX will blink slowly to indicate charging is in progress. When the charge is complete, it will stop blinking and turn itself off. When charging from disposable alkaline batteries, LRI estimates approximately 2 full charges from a typical AA, or 20 charges from a D battery. A single rechargeable NiMH AA battery will typically provide approximately 3 full charges of the ReX per charge.
  • Accessories coming soon for both solar and USB charging.
Hope this helps....
Also not affiliated with this company, just love their products and great prices.

Eric Ramirez

Everyone should have one of these!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Be careful charging up the Rex. That description says you can use up to a 6 volt battery for charging. That may be an old blurb, or the light has been changed. When the Rex first came out some folks fried theirs using 6 volts, and maybe less. I don't know if the company ever acknowledged a problem, but I think the newer ads did not mention 6 volts. I have not checked the LRI site.

I've always just used a 1.5 v. battery and never had a problem.

Geoff

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Some suggestions:

1) Photon Freedom

2) iTP EOS A3

3) Fenix E01

4) Fenix L0D or LD01

The first is best for minimalist carry. The A3 comes in two flavors. The standard is 80 lumens for just under an hour. The Upgraded version has three modes, and comes in a variety of colors. Very small, very inexpensive. The E01 is a great keychain light that is geared for runtime, instead of output. Makes a great gift for non-flashaholics. Very rugged. The L0D is excellent. Unlike the LD01, you get strobe and S.O.S. modes with the older L0D. Only reason to spend the extra money on an LD01 instead of an Upgraded version of the iTP EOS A3 is if you really want a light with the ability to tailstand.

Hope this helps.