Good inexpensive thrower

cistallus

Enlightened
Looking for a thrower but want to spend less than $50. Went camping with friends, they saw the beam on my Jetbeam Jet-III M (with R2), really liked the throw (for outdoors, e.g. check the pasture from the house, maybe 80-90 yards). So would like to give them something similar, yet not too expensive, to start with. It has to run on primary batteries. Not super-cheap (I won't buy from DX or KD). I'm figuring a 2-cell light (like AA or 123) for reasonable size and throw. I've considered a few:

Romisen RC-C8, about $24, flood-to-throw - but the throw is the "see the LED die" type, I think some spill would be more useful.

Romisen RC-N3 R4, about $24 - reviews say not especially good throw.

Mag light with a dropin - something like a 2D or 3D incan Mag, but the only inexpensive dropins I see are Terralux and they seem to have mixed reviews - would be less than $40 total but not sure how good throw would be, or beam quality.

Solarforce flashlight (something like L2 or L2R plus LC-1 either single or 3-mode) - around $30-35 - maybe this is best choice but not sure how much throw there is.

Am I missing some other obvious choice?

Opinions?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice gesture I need more friends like you, you may want to look at the Eagletac P100C2 it throws just about the same as my Jet M. The P100 is a great light don't let the inexpensive price fool you it's the best light per price I own, that and the T100C2.

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-6607

If you have not already set up your discount with Eagletac-USA and PTS, they are the same dealer.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
2D Mag for sure. If you're angry I bet you could throw that sucker at least 50m!

On a more serious note, you can get a KX2C on the Marketplace for under $100 provided you have a E2x host.

Inexpensive is a very subjective term...

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a Fenix TK20. It's built like a tank and it throws very far for a 2 AA powered light. Because it throws so far, it does have a very narrow hot spot though, which some people consider to be a strike against it. If you're going camping with your new light, the neutral white color of the TK20's LED will make those colors in the wilderness come alive, but some people's eyes don't notice the difference compared to a regular cool white LED.

The best price for a TK20 is at 4Sevens and it's just under $50 when you use the CPF member discount code. They also have free shipping and a very good customer service reputation here on CPF.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need it fast, you can run down to the local Lowes and get the Task Force 2C (it was the most talked about budget light for a few weeks here). Won't disappoint for the price. Or, go to Sears/KMart and get the Rayovac 3C/4-Watt. Both of these are excellent budget throwers, and go for $30-$35.

cistallus

Enlightened
... You might look on the "budget" forum...
Yes I'm aware of that, checked that budget thrower thread, but as expected every light mentioned was DX or KD, don't want to deal with that.
Nice gesture I need more friends like you...
Thanks, sometimes it just drives me crazy when I see people trying to use a poor quality flashlight that just isn't up to the task. Oh, the humanity! :D
...Eagletac P100C2 it throws just about the same as my Jet M ... and the T100C2...
Thanks, those look like quite good throwers; I may end up going with one of those, will look into them further.
... you can get a KX2C on the Marketplace for under $100 provided you have a E2x host. ... Inexpensive is a very subjective term...
I defined it as less than $50, and have no such host, so will have to skip this.
I'd suggest a Fenix TK20...
Thanks, that's a good light though right near my limit; I'll compare it to the others.
how about fenix e20? decent throw and runtime :)
Hadn't noticed that model before, looks like an older one, good price but compared to other choices I don't think it's the best based on Selfbuilt and other comments, but will keep it in mind.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my P100C2 when I want to EDC a light in a holster that has good throw. IIRC the Jet-III M ~7500K-9000K lux and the Eagletac P100 is ~7500k lux so it's not to far off from the Jet M in throw just to give you an idea of the throw.

For a budget light I highly suggest them, they are as well made as similar light's costing $60-$70.

cistallus

Enlightened
If you need it fast, you can run down to the local Lowes and get the Task Force 2C (it was the most talked about budget light for a few weeks here). Won't disappoint for the price. Or, go to Sears/KMart and get the Rayovac 3C/4-Watt. Both of these are excellent budget throwers, and go for $30-$35.
Thanks, didn't know about these, I'll check them out if I get a chance.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
2D Mag for sure. If you're angry I bet you could throw that sucker at least 50m!
:D

Actually, my 2D Rebel Maglite is my best thrower.
With a tight focus, it throws insanely well and blows away any of the "throwy" drop-ins I have for my Solarforce L2 bodies.

Cole07

Enlightened
:D

Actually, my 2D Rebel Maglite is my best thrower.
With a tight focus, it throws insanely well and blows away any of the "throwy" drop-ins I have for my Solarforce L2 bodies.
I would also recommend a 2/3D rebel mag. They throw very far and are built like a tank.

cistallus

Enlightened
To OP:
RC-N3 and Solarforce L2 are both fine lights but not throwers IMO.
Thanks, good to know.
... Actually, my 2D Rebel Maglite is my best thrower...
I would also recommend a 2/3D rebel mag. They throw very far and are built like a tank.
Thanks, but while researching this, found some beamshots, and indeed they look like they throw very well, but when focused that way, have almost no spill. Also, everyone keeps saying "Rebel" - looked at some at Lowes, none of them say Rebel on the packaging, how do you tell?
If you need it fast, you can run down to the local Lowes and get the Task Force 2C...
Thanks again - that's what I did (after doing my all too common "stay up way too late browsing CPF reviews of a light" thing) :tired:. It was $23.63. I think it will do just fine. I compared it to my Jet-III M R2 - the TF has just a tad less throw but the hotspot is wider; overall it's great for the price.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, everyone keeps saying "Rebel" - looked at some at Lowes, none of them say Rebel on the packaging, how do you tell?

The Maglites with the Rebel LEDs in them have much deeper reflectors compared to all the other models. The previous generation LED Maglites with the Luxeon III LEDs have the exact same shallower reflectors as the tried and true incandescent models.

Also, and this is the big difference if you don't have two different types of reflectors side by side to compare them to, the Rebel models have absolutely no mention on the packaging of a spare bulb included in the tailcap. The older Luxeon III ones proudly say on the packaging that the LED can be replaced by an included spare krypton incandescent bulb that is in the tailcap.

Also, as a side note, the 4 D cell LED Maglite was discontinued when the Rebel LEDs came out. Thus, the largest Rebel LED Maglite available is the 3 D cell model. If you see a 4 D cell LED Maglite sitting on the shelf, it has a Luxeon III LED in it.

Latest posts