SOLAR Charged Lights ???

jtice

Flashaholic
In the process of getting some lanterns and emergancy lights, and it got me to thinking about solar charged lights.
Lets get a collection of all the ones we think are good performers.
Here are a few I found, but dont know much about.

SolLight LightCap 300 lights, thought they were pretty cool, I like that they are solar charged.
Anyone have one, or know anything about them? And guess to how many lumens they are, or if they are regulated?
http://www.sollight.com/products/lightcap.cfm

3 LED Solar Keychain light
Neat, but wont get much sunlight if its in your pocket with your keys.
Might me nice worn during the day as a dogtag though.
http://www.kooing.com/Other/Solar-Keychain-with-3-LED/

Tri_Solar flip out panel LED light.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-Solar-_-Solar+Light+Technologies-_-82524007

~John

gorn

Enlightened
I have a couple of those solar keychain lights. They are not bad for the price. I keep on the dashboard of my cars for grins. A few years ago I bought several of the Swiss light solar keychain lights. http://www.skylight-swiss.com/en/ they are real nice. They were expensive but I found a place that was clearancing them out for less than $5.

I sent on to Iraq with my son. He loved the thing and used it quite a bit. It ended up dieing a horrible LED death after soaking in a black water canal for 8 hours or so. The others that a bought are still going strong.

jtice

Flashaholic
ohhhhhh the BoGoLight SN-2 looks very very nice !!!!!!
I think I will HAVE to get one of these, if nothing else, to leave laying on the dash of the Jeep for emergencys!

Love the fact that is has changable batteries, has 3 output levels for spot AND flood.

~John

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Member Cottonpickers on the marketplace has some unique solar chargers.

A panel in the size of your choice that has a usb output, and a mini usb charger with magnetic leads to charge li-ions.

Not production, but is a nice solution to charge our lithium by the sun.

i have one on the way to test, has anyone else gotten one

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got one of the 3LED keychain lights. It's been hanging near a window next to me for almost a year. Still works anyway. It's too bad the switch won't lock on.

Geoff

gorn

Enlightened
I've got one of the 3LED keychain lights. It's been hanging near a window next to me for almost a year. Still works anyway. It's too bad the switch won't lock on.

Geoff

The Swiss light skylight I posted the link to has a soft electronic switch that allows it to stay on. That is much better than the momentary on the 3 LED version.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Anybody have one of these? I have been eye balling them for awhile now but dont know if they are worth the money.

For $30 you can buy a 4x5mm AA light at walmart and about 80 or more AAs for it which would work even if it was overcast outside or if you ran it 10 hours and it dims you could swap in fresh batteries instead of being in the dark.

Brian321

Enlightened
For $30 you can buy a 4x5mm AA light at walmart and about 80 or more AAs for it which would work even if it was overcast outside or if you ran it 10 hours and it dims you could swap in fresh batteries instead of being in the dark.
Yea but how cool would it be to drink water from your lantern? ( Although your water might get hot while charging your light lol)

I always have a light with me, but I was just wondering how bright these things are and how long they run for. It would be neat to take camping.

Brian

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yea but how cool would it be to drink water from your lantern? ( Although your water might get hot while charging your light lol)

I always have a light with me, but I was just wondering how bright these things are and how long they run for. It would be neat to take camping.

Brian

There is a guy in the marketplace that sells solar charging kits in the $30-$45 range that can charge li-ion or usb devices, I would rather invest in that as I have a USB nimh charger. :D

jtice

Flashaholic
I ordered a BoGoLight SN-2, looks like its a really nice light and very versatile.
Will post back here my thoughts on it once it arrives.

~John

ama230

Enlightened
there is the photon rex look alike and its rechargeable and is 40+ lumens using nichia gs leds. Its solar and usb rechargeable.

331256713_tp.jpg

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the process of getting some lanterns and emergency lights, and it got me to thinking about solar charged lights.

It may be a little "off topic" but wind-up & dynamo powered flashlights would be an excellent addition to any emergency preparedness pack (or B.O.B.) :thumbsup:

Back to Solar Lights! :D

Lately I've seen a lot of a Maglight styled solar lights (placed under 4X4 windscreens) in tourist vehicles passing through, I've found a review of it at GizmoScene.com it's called the EFO Solar Torch, opinions are divided as to the actual duration of usable light output with the manufacturers claiming 8 (from 6h sunlight) & an independent review @ digitalreviews.net claiming only 3h... QC issue perhaps? :thinking:

efosolarlight.jpg