E2D LED / LX2 / E1B - Which for everyday carry?

mrwhite1

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide which of these 3 lights would be the best for an every day carry light (pants pocket). I usually wear 5.11 tactical pants every day, so I have several pocket choices. Any suggestions / opinions?

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
CPF has uncovered an unsuspected personal model-dislexia when typing but I'll be careful, I mean I'll try: I EDC both an E2DL and an E1B on the job, lately with a Quark AA on my keychain just for luck. And curiously enough, I often wear 5.11 or similar cargo pants. The E2DL is inevitably hardest on clothing, the E1B hardly so at all. In practical terms, both are equally useful for lighting up thingts, with the E2DL being marginally brighter and with a much longer runtime on low power (sometimes nice to know but has never actually been important- but could be someday). The E2DL is much more useful for poking things (I refer to self-defense), which is a tradeoff for the less convenient size and the aforementioned clothing destruction. Overall for regular walking around I would go for the E1B and certainly will do so after I retire. Right now, in a somewhat hazardous line of work, I would choose the E2DL. I have no experience with the LX2 but as long as it's a SF you could hardly go wrong if you decide it has the options you are looking for.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that (thanks to the scalloped tail cap) the E2DL can be carried in the ready-to-click-on position whereas the E1B is more problematic if you don't lock out the power with the twisty feature, at least if you're carring it in such a way as to make it prone for the protruding button to be depressed.

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear 5.11s and find them ideal for the LX2.

The newer 5.11s have reinforced corners on the pockets to stop them getting chewed up by knives/flashlights. I used to go through pairs of the old kind like wildfire.

The rest of the material is still pretty lousy, though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The newer 5.11s have reinforced corners on the pockets to stop them getting chewed up by knives/flashlights. I used to go through pairs of the old kind like wildfire.

The rest of the material is still pretty lousy, though.
They've finally caught up with the pocket-reinforcements? Cool. That said, the two-way clip design used by the LX2 doesn't wear pockets like other clips in my experience.

I find the crotch area of 5.11s wears out pretty fast compared to other combats such as those from Niton but Niton doesn't do the pretty colours like 5.11s.

Al :)

WDR65

Enlightened
I would go with either the LX2 or the E1B personally. When I wear jeans or shorts I prefer the E1B because I can still grab stuff in the bottom of my pocket without it interfering. Obviously output wise there is a large difference but the E1B is no slouch and I can use it for 70% of what I need. The E2DL is great for jacket pocket carry IMO but not for pants.

If I'm wearing 5.11's or Carharts I can carry and LX2 with no problem and then some. I have been know to carry an LX2 clipped to my left rear pocket, an E1B clipped to my front pocket and an A2L in the front flashlight/magazine pocket.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your anticipated use - general, casual use? E1B.

A lot of use? LX2.

Have an eye for self-defense, E2DL.

I wouldn't choose the old-school incan E2D unless I had a specific reason for it - the LEDs perform better and last longer than incan bulbs.

You also might want to take a look at the new SF offerings - the new, cheaper 6PX tactical/pro options.

-Trevor

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC, I'd take the LX2 every time. An absolutely amazing light.

I sometimes switch to the E1B if size/space is an issue (for travel, summer clothes, a suit) but generally the LX2 is perfect.

mrwhite1

Newly Enlightened
Since were talking 5.11s, which pocket do you prefer to carry the light(s) in?
Would it be better to carry in the cargo pockets or the small pocket on left side?
I like the look of the e2dl best but I don't necessarily like how it defaults to brightest. That's good for defensive purposes but I don't wanna blind myself if I need to use it for something where max lumens isn't needed. That's why I liked lx2, starts at low setting so wouldn't be overpowering for times where minimal light is needed but it can go to max output just by pushing down farther. You are right the E1B would prob be best if suit or limited space. I'm starting to see that flashlights are like guns, when in doubt by all of them. They each have certain advantages and disadvantages based on what situation your in.

I do really like those 6PX, great lumens and long run time. Given the price of them I'll definitely have to buy a coupe for my go bag

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
With something the size of the LX2, I tend to clip it to the corner of the rear slash pocket, where it's reinforced. That way the front pockets are freed up, and the LX2 is small enough for it not to get in the way when sitting.

The UI of the LX2 is, to me, one of its greatest advantages over the likes of the E2DL.

njet212

Enlightened
I have both E2DL and LX2, i dont have E1B but for the same size light i have Nitecore Extreme.

I love the E2DL because its feel solid on my hand, the knurling is super comfortable it's feel like sticky flashlight on my hand. I love also the crenelated bezel it's so aggressive and sharp. But i don't like the carry option, which is i forced to carrt with only bezel up carry option.

LX2 is great light too. Even it don't have knurled design on it's body it's feel solid and comfortable too on my hand. But last time i used it on rainy condition, it feel a bit slippery on my hand because the body is not knurled. I love the LX2 carry option because it's offer both bezel up and down carry.

The NEX is compact, reliable light too. I have been EDC'ing this for around 3 months or so. So far so good. I carry the NEX because it's size is more compact than the LX2 and E2DL. I don't have the 5.11 cargo pants yet and the pocket i have on my pants is really limited, carrying LX or E2DL will make my pocket "overload".

But since you are wearing 5.11 pants, i would suggest you go with LX2 or E2DL they both great lights also you will get more burn time and lumen compared to E1B.

Regarding the "self defense" option for the E2DL, in my opinion you could also have that option on LX2. It's not about the tools it's about how you deploy it IMHO.

Good Luck

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Since were talking 5.11s, which pocket do you prefer to carry the light(s) in?
Would it be better to carry in the cargo pockets or the small pocket on left side?
I like the look of the e2dl best but I don't necessarily like how it defaults to brightest. That's good for defensive purposes but I don't wanna blind myself if I need to use it for something where max lumens isn't needed. That's why I liked lx2, starts at low setting so wouldn't be overpowering for times where minimal light is needed but it can go to max output just by pushing down farther. You are right the E1B would prob be best if suit or limited space. I'm starting to see that flashlights are like guns, when in doubt by all of them. They each have certain advantages and disadvantages based on what situation your in.

I do really like those 6PX, great lumens and long run time. Given the price of them I'll definitely have to buy a coupe for my go bag

I find that when I need to bring out a flashlight, I want to see far away so I prefer the high to pop on asap. As far as the E2DL defaulting to bright goes, you get used to it and can always hold it against yourself when firing it up. I quite often use the low setting on both the E2D and the E1B but I'm in urban and semi-rural settings where that sort of darkness is rare- and the low is there for situations where I don't want my eyes to become too light-adapted. I generally carry the E2DL in my right front pocket, either clipped or at the bottom depending on how badly I need it vs the likelyhood of losing it. If the pocket starts wearing through I shift it. Some models of 5.11s have had a great cell phone pocket on the R that was long enough but not the ones I have currently. Most often, you find my E2D in my jacket pocket. If indicated I've been known to fold it in a bandana or handkerchief to protect the material- that would be in the daytime in midsummer and if I really like the jacket.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
You may also want to factor in which size you prefer, the 1xCR123, or the 2xCR123. I find that I pocket my E1B more often, just because I prefer the size. (I'm used to 1xAA sized lights.) And it is usually enough for every day tasks.

However, I do prefer the UI of the LX2, because blinding yourself is no fun. Holding the light against your leg the first time you turn it on is also an added annoyance of the Backup.

I think that if you're looking for a smaller CR123 SF light that starts on a low, the LX1 would be a good choice. I personally want one for myself!

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide which of these 3 lights would be the best for an every day carry light (pants pocket). I usually wear 5.11 tactical pants every day, so I have several pocket choices. Any suggestions / opinions?

Greetings from Belgium.
For "pure" EDCing, I would choose the E1B : small, bright, dual output, smooth design.
As self defence device is needed, I take the E2DL. I manage the sharp bezel with an old Mini Mag filter holder. This little thing gives good protection to both pocket and bezel. The Lumens are available at once and it takes a fraction of a second to remove the protection.
LX2 is a fantastic light but I don't EDC it .

I hope this will help you.
Cordialement.

Please note that I'm French speaker, be indulgent concerning my basic English:crackup:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I've been carrying in the front "knife" pocket of my 5.11's on my right leg. The pocket without an up and over cover. I find it fits a Surefire E-series 2 cell light nicely without needing to clip the light on.

I think they call this a knife pocket, I may be mistaken but basically it's on the right leg on the front and it's a long tall pocket without a velcro closing lid to the pocket. I find the tac-lites I've been buying are the only ones that have this pocket unfortunately. The regular tactical trousers don't seem to have it, just the velcro closing pocket on the left leg which I like to keep my keys in.

mrwhite1

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the advice, thanks!
Definitely has given me some things to think about. It pretty much sounds like I'm going to have to buy more than one of the lights depending on situation / clothing. The E1B would probably give me the most flexibility to start with, casual or formal attire. Then probably get one / or both of the others as soon as fundage allows.

On a side note, the only problem with using the small pocket on the right of the 5.11 Tac Lite pants, is that I usually carry my firearm in my right pants pocket. This small pocket is directly over it and would definitely cause the light to bulge. I will probably have to give some thought into how I plan to organize all my gear in my 5.11s for maximum effectiveness.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Personally, I just ordered an E2DL to replace my E2D but I regularly carry and E1B as well, now on a holster on my day pack. I prefer the older style clip for it's ability to attach a split ring easily whereas the E1B switch needs to be upgraded/replaced by a Z68 or E2D switch to allow for a split ring to be easily attached. The clip on the E1B is a little loose for my needs so that is another plus for the E2D/E2DL but the E1B clip offers more flexibility.

I have yet to use a LX2 so I can't comment on the differing qualities.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I appreciate all the advice, thanks!
Definitely has given me some things to think about. It pretty much sounds like I'm going to have to buy more than one of the lights depending on situation / clothing. The E1B would probably give me the most flexibility to start with, casual or formal attire. Then probably get one / or both of the others as soon as fundage allows.

On a side note, the only problem with using the small pocket on the right of the 5.11 Tac Lite pants, is that I usually carry my firearm in my right pants pocket. This small pocket is directly over it and would definitely cause the light to bulge. I will probably have to give some thought into how I plan to organize all my gear in my 5.11s for maximum effectiveness.

I would go for a waistband holster for the firearm, but alternatively you could always get one for the light. If you do that, I suggest that you just get the special purpose-made E2DL one from SF- I wasted a lot of time looking for a regular ballistic holder that would work without being unreasonably oversized. And failed.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Re: E1B for Everyday Carry IMHO

MrWhite1
I understand where you are coming from. My J-frame rides in the right or left front pocket of all my trousers dictated by my G19s location, IWB or ankle. On my 511s my E1B is clipped in the left rear slash pocket next to a pen whereas on my VerTx pants the E1B is inside the lower left thigh pocket in the small inner sleeve there. I also have been known to also carry an E1E RoomSweeper besides the E1B.
I've been wearing the heck out of the VerTx for a year + now and I'm very surprised that no one else on CPF has mentioned them.