just purchased eagletac P100 now I need help

robertt931

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys I have a few noob questions, as the title states, I just purchased a new flashlight. I also bought an AW 17670 battery and an ultrafire charger. When it comes to rechargeable batteries I am lost. My question my flashlight going to be less bright with a 3.7v 17670 vs 2x123 at 3v each? Does voltage equate to brightness all else being the same? do you add voltage together to get a total for example does 2 123 at 3v each equal 6 volts or does a the light run at 3v no matter how many batteries are in it?
If I am interested in brightness what makes one cell better than the other? If I am looking for runtime what number should I be looking at?
ps I also just purchased a fenix ld20 and a quark AA^2. All in one day! They just run regular AA so its simpler to me.....This is getting addicting. I will post pics soon.Thanks in advance for the help.

oliussw

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys I have a few noob questions, as the title states, I just purchased a new flashlight. I also bought an AW 17670 battery and an ultrafire charger. When it comes to rechargeable batteries I am lost. My question my flashlight going to be less bright with a 3.7v 17670 vs 2x123 at 3v each? Not this particular one, no.

Does voltage equate to brightness all else being the same? No

do you add voltage together to get a total for example does 2 123 at 3v each equal 6 volts or does a the light run at 3v no matter how many batteries are in it? Yes two 123s in a light will generally produce 6v unless they are wired differently. You need to read the paperwork to see what voltage range lights can operate within.

If I am interested in brightness what makes one cell better than the other? If I am looking for runtime what number should I be looking at?
For your application a 17670 should give longer runtimes I would assume. Use the search function to answer some of these questions.

ps I also just purchased a fenix ld20 and a quark AA^2. All in one day! They just run regular AA so its simpler to me.....This is getting addicting. I will post pics soon.Thanks in advance for the help.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I had a P100C2, it was the same brightness using a 17670, two CR123, or two RCR123. This was determined using a lightbox.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hello guys I have a few noob questions, as the title states
Hello and welcome to CPF.

I just purchased a new flashlight. I also bought an AW 17670 battery and an ultrafire charger. When it comes to rechargeable batteries I am lost. My question my flashlight going to be less bright with a 3.7v 17670 vs 2x123 at 3v each?
No, increasing Vin for the P100 series does not change brightness. The driver in this light is very well regulated above ~3.5V

Does voltage equate to brightness all else being the same?
No not with the ET P100 lights.

Do you add voltage together to get a total for example does 2 123 at 3v each equal 6 volts or does a the light run at 3v no matter how many batteries are in it?
The P100 lights use a buck converter, so increasing Vin results in the same Vout to the LED.... which is around Vf for the XPE emitter. Yes when 2 identical cells are in series, voltage is added. 3V+3V = 6V

If I am interested in brightness what makes one cell better than the other?
Current capabilities of the cell. A cell thats able to deliver higher current without voltage sag will be brighter than a cell that can not. This is where IMR cells are worth the extra $$$. In the case of the P100, an IMR cell will not get you increased output because the light does not draw enough current to induce voltage sag from the AW 17670.

If I am looking for runtime what number should I be looking at?
You should be reading the cell test results and discharge curves posted by the other CPF members. More often than not, the mah capacity printed on the cell is not actually what the cell is capable of.

ps I also just purchased a fenix ld20 and a quark AA^2. All in one day! They just run regular AA so its simpler to me.....
On the surface, yes 2AA lights appear to be simpler. You should however be aware that Alkaline cells WILL leak at random and nearly destroy whatever they are used in. Higher current draw from these lights with Alkalines increases the odds of a cell leak. NiMh or Lithium primaries should be used in these lights not Alkalines.

This is getting addicting. I will post pics soon.Thanks in advance for the help.
Sure no prob... yes it is an addictive hobby and :welcome:

Last edited: