Your thoughts on Surefire 6P

pahl

Enlightened
I'm thinking about picking up a Surefire 6P this weekend at Cabela's.

I would like to hear from other 6P owner about what they like or don't like about there 6P.

I have a couple G2's so I preaty much know what to expect from the light output.

I think it would be nice to have the LOTC and the black finish along with be able to use the cell extender with the higher output lamps.

So what do you think about the 6P?

Thanks,

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Hey pahl,
You're right. It's great to able to to "mod" the 6P so easily. So far, I have accumulated a LOTC, Shock Isolated Bezel, P60, P61, P90, P91, A-19 extender, and the KT2 Turbo head. It all makes quite a flexible kit when you think about it. Mine spends most of it's time as a 9P Turbo but I love the P91 also.

pahl

Enlightened
Now if Al would send me a photo or two of all his 6P's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I wonder what the 6P looks like with the extender and KT2 Turbo on it?

Tech a Billy,
What about a KL3? That would also work on your 6P, right?
Sound like a nice set up you have there with your 6P.

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
Mine is almost 20 years old and going strong. Everyone once in a while I carry it instead of the e2 because I like the beam better. It is bigger but not bad(I also have a 9P that is about the same age and still carry it.) I believe I still have 1-2 spare bulbs that are the same age. imgadgetman

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget the Black M2 bezel, clickie tailcap, Pyrex lens bezel,KT1, 2xA19 + Turbo= 12v light to use as a 12PM (up to 500lm)

There are so many options with it it's awsome. It's quite nice to belt carry with a Bianchi #37S leather holster. The holster is only about 2 inches long and the light slips in from the top and the bezel keeps it from falling through. Very tight and sturdy.

I think the G2 is better utility light because it wont scratch the car hood, won't conduct electricity etc. The 6P beats the G2 with the many options. The options are why I would buy a 6P over a Pelican M6, Brinkmann LX etc. Sure the latter 2 are cheaper and may be just a bright but the OPTIONS MAN....the options! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The others will never measure up with the flexibility of the 6P

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 6P bodies without extenders in only two applications.

1.) With a P61 and either a C or M bezel. (Most of my 123's get consumed in this configuration.)
2.) With an 80 Lu 3.7 V Pila L/A and a 17670 Li-Ion.

For 60 Lumen I'll use my e series lights.

llvo

Enlightened
I love my 6P.
Now it becomes a long run LED light with KL3 and Z49 clicky switch installed.

Many options = $$$, though.
Anyway, the $$$ is well spent(no regret!)and the parts gives my 6P a completely new dimension.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Ho-hum" was my first reaction upon receiving my 6P (old style) several years ago. I preferred my Streamlight Scorpion.

Since you already have G2s, why not go for a three-cell Surefire light? With the high output lamp, you then have a wider range of lighting options...from approximately 60(G2) up to 200+ lumens of light. And unless I'm mistaken (somebody please correct me!), you could use the extender (+ parts) to create a four-cell light!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:
Now if Al would send me a photo or two of all his 6P's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I wonder what the 6P looks like with the extender and KT2 Turbo on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a 6P plus two A-19's and a KT2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
P12%202.JPG

The 6P is the most versatile light made with a range of output from 20 lumens too 500 Lumens.

Azreal911

Enlightened
oh a question about the cell extender... would that part attach nicely onto a G2? if so i would get one so i can have a extended run KL3 and a p90 lamp assembly would be sweet!

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashfan said:
"Ho-hum" was my first reaction upon receiving my 6P (old style) several years ago. I preferred my Streamlight Scorpion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. My 6P in it's original form doesn't seem much action (I prefer the Scorpion), but I still have the 6P because of all the things you can do with (to) it. Personally I like the old style body that is completely round.

As for things I don't like, I don't like the standard P60 beam, along with the fact that it doesn't come in HA (probably the reason I don't use it for EDC). Size is also an issue when comparing it to an E2 or E2e. You might want to consider a shock isolated bezel if you are going to use one a lot, since if the light takes a bad fall it can blow the P60 (not a big deal if they cost $5, but at $20ish it bothers me).

-Mike

pahl

Enlightened
jtivat,
Nice photo. I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
How do you get 20 lums out of a 6P. One cell and what lamp?

Streamlight Scorpion: Had one of these. I sold it right after I got my first Surefire and I have not missed it yet.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I need to sleep sometime!
Don't I even get an email?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:
jtivat,

Streamlight Scorpion: Had one of these. I sold it right after I got my first Surefire and I have not missed it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

KL3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:
jtivat,

[/ QUOTE ]

R30 Lamp Assembly and a 123 dummy cell. Or use two AA rechargeables with an A19 adpapter and 2AA tube spacer.
oldgrandpajack

pahl

Enlightened
Great replies, thanks!

I got a 6P this weekend at Cabela's and it's great!
The LOTC feels nicer and more solid then the switch on G2-BK when turning it and when using the push button switch.

Comparing it to my G2-BK the whole light feels more solid.

I also picked up the red filter for my 6P. I tried a red filter on my E2e and did not care for it.

The red filter on the 6P is much more of what I expected when I tried the red filter on the E2e. With the bigger spot from the 6P the red filter works great.

I know that black finish will not hold up as well as the HA finish, but I really like the looks of the black on the 6P.