Where are the Continuously Variable Lights?

jonesy

Enlightened
So we all know about the Titan, Saint, a Lummi that might or might not exist, a jetbeam or 2, and that little 38DD. But where's the rest of them? Why are there so few EDC lights with the simplest operating system for people to use?

I have quite a few twisties and clickies and the only light I can hand to someone and have them understand how to use it are the single mode ones. God help me if I hand a Novatac to someone and they need to use it in a hurry. Easy for me, impossible for anyone else.

But a light like a titan is uses a concept that everyone can understand. In a way, it's the iPad of flashlights. Give it to a 3 year old and they can figure out how to use it. Just twist to turn on, and keep on twisting for more light out of the shiny end. See? Simple.

So why do we keep on having manufacturers who insist on creating multi click/ twist on & off interfaces, when the one that is arguably the best around for EDC is so hard to find? I imagine something like the new 47 Revo that came out, if it had this interface, would sell like crazy. I would definitely buy one, but after suffering through my mini 123 there's no way I would buy another multi twist light.

Any insight is appreciated. :popcorn:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea but I do not like the system you suggest is the best,twist lights which I have more of are not really my thing I prefer a clicky.:grin2:

scout24

Flashaholic
jonesy- I'm with you, waiting patiently... Give me a AAA version of the Titan, and a 0-200 lumen version, I'd buy a pile of each. Different emitters and flood or throw oriented versions, I think they would sell like hotcakes.

jonesy

Enlightened
jonesy- I'm with you, waiting patiently... Give me a AAA version of the Titan, and a 0-200 lumen version, I'd buy a pile of each. Different emitters and flood or throw oriented versions, I think they would sell like hotcakes.

That's exactly what I want! Even if it was 80 lumen off a AAA I'd be happy.

In case you're wondering why I just don't buy a Titan T1A, it's simple: price/ low lumen count/ beam shape/ tint. If they fixed all of the above I would have one already and I wouldn't bore the rest of you.

But until they do, I wonder why other manufacturers haven't made one yet...

jellydonut

Enlightened
I agree entirely with you and I am equally perplexed. I can't stand these multi-click modes that are pretty much the equivalent of voodoo.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think we see the multi-click UI's because they're a cheaper, smaller, and probably more reliable means of level changing. It's got to be tough to engineer a twist ring that resists water and dirt.

The LiteFlux and Photon Proton (also Freedom and Rex) UI's have a continuously variable setup that works well.

Geoff

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, Surefire has patented the concept of "variable brighness proportional to an rotary position". I am sure other companies could makes such a design (its no magic, the basic drawback is the one visible in the titan: The size was nearly increase by 50% by the potentiometer assembly).
But they cannot during the next 13 years, or if Surefire decides to license the tech (not likely).

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that type as well and wish there were more. I do have a Proton Pro and for what it does it's great.

scout24

Flashaholic
It would be nice to see SF take advantage of their position and make some variations on theme... They have released, in my opinion, two niche lights with this tech- One, a limited production collector/ enthusiast piece, and one that would have been mass market at a different price point... I own one of the former and two of the latter, and have had a close to ten of combined variants pass through my hands, so I speak with a bit of backround. Even at current pricing, different versions would be a nice thing. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wonder if anyone has a system (magnetic induction?) where no openings in the battery tube are needed for the control ring? I know it's been done with simple on/off switches.

Geoff

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Surefire has patented the concept of "variable brighness proportional to an rotary position". I am sure other companies could makes such a design (its no magic, the basic drawback is the one visible in the titan: The size was nearly increase by 50% by the potentiometer assembly).
But they cannot during the next 13 years, or if Surefire decides to license the tech (not likely).
I'm sorry but that is such an obvious solution. Anyone with sufficient reserves should be able to fight that and win.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak LED Solutions makes two lines of lights, First Responder and Search & Rescue that use a knob to control brightness levels. These are larger lights, from one to three 18650s [and many, many battery combos in between]. Very well made lights.

red02

Enlightened
+1,000,000

I would pay an outrageous amount of money for a AA current controlled version of the Photon Freedom. My Holy Grail light for some time now. For now the Saint will have to do. I really think that market applications are the limiting factor. Implementing a design that sacrifices size and looks may be unappealing to companies that make their money on form and not function.

It seems like most of the demand is for brightness not usefulness. :ohgeez:

ama230

Enlightened
There is the photon rex (4x Nichia GS Warm) that is very bright for its size and is variable in brightness and has awesome runtimes. It is also rechargeable(li-ion) of any battery 3v or less. Its also the lightest too. I keep mine on my neck with a icon lanyard. Very handy!!!:nana:

Then there is the photon proton that has variable brightness and is a single aa form. Also has crazy runtimes. Wish they'd update it with a cree XP-G and then this would be the perfect light, as it currently has a single cree XR-E. Has the photon freedom UI and its super duper awesome. I have the pro(6x nichia DS 60lumen) and the proton(1x cree xr-e 100lumen). Photon is one of my favorite companies btw.

Then there is the 5.11 tactical pc3.300 (3x XP-E) that has the ramp configuration. This has two button as one is near the head and one on the tail cap. Its in between a streamlight stinger and maglite 2c. Its also one of the lightest and floats!!! This has variable brightness too. It runs for eight plus hours on low(20+ lumens) and hour and thirty minutes on high(200lumens) and charges in 90 seconds flat, sometimes less(depending on useage). Also I would like to clarify that this will last thirty day on a charge as most on here say it doesn't hold a charge. This is due to the light having a microprocessor that has parasitic drain just like any other high end light. :thumbsup: This is a company that is going to make it huge!!!

I own all these lights and would recommend them to anyone as they are definitely worth every penny. :party:

lovecpf

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened
+1,000,000

I would pay an outrageous amount of money for a AA current controlled version of the Photon Freedom. My Holy Grail light for some time now. For now the Saint will have to do. I really think that market applications are the limiting factor. Implementing a design that sacrifices size and looks may be unappealing to companies that make their money on form and not function.

It seems like most of the demand is for brightness not usefulness. :ohgeez:

Try and look at the photon proton or photon pro as this is what you are looking for and can choose either. The original version pro(6x nichia ds as i love nichia) or new proton(1x cree xr-e which is very white with no artifacts). http://www.batteryjunction.com/proton.html as other places want 50 plus bucks for it. Also don't forget the cpf member coupon and you have to search for it. Great light and awesome customer service!!!

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Try and look at the photon proton or photon pro as this is what you are looking for and can choose either. The original version pro(6x nichia ds as i love nichia) or new proton(1x cree xr-e which is very white with no artifacts). http://www.batteryjunction.com/proton.html as other places want 50 plus bucks for it. Also don't forget the cpf member coupon and you have to search for it.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, but I have already crossed that one out. It was high on my list on potential candidates. But current control is somewhat important to me...

Are you sure its an XRE? I thought it was some 2 watt LED. Maybe I should reconsider.

How red is the secondary LED?

EDIT: just found one for about 40 and picked it up. I hope its worth it... I should really stop browsing this forum in the middle of the night when my resistance is weakest.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The Proton Pro is a really nice light, but could really benefit from a bit of an update, as it hasn't changed for a couple of years. A newer LED (XP-G) and improved refelctor to tidy up the beam are really all that's needed. I would also welcome the suggested switch to current control, as it does use a fairly low frequency PWM at the moment, which can be quite distracting.

Red02 - the red LED is quite useful: it's a 3mm LED and looks to be in the 630nm range. Like the main LED though, the beam pattern is a bit non-uniform. I suppose that's inevitable given the difficulties of incorporating both in the same reflector.

Now if only someone could combine the output and flood beam of the Quark RGB, but with the Photon Pro interface . . . :paypal:

Latest posts