Franken MagDaddy PAR46 HIR : > 400,000 lux@ 1 meter vs. 35W HID lighthouse beam shots

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Franken MagDaddy PAR46 HIR : > 400,000 lux@ 1 meter vs. 35W HID lighthouse beam shots

Updated 10/14/10:
a log of Top Incan thrower cps measured & reported for reference use.

Extreme Throw Incans:
MagDaddy PAR 46 HIR: >400,000 cp, 130W, 5.75" Reflector sealed beam H7680 HIR (Measured by ma_sha1)
Platinum Thor 15 Million CP Halogen: 380,000 cp (Maxablaster host): 130W, 9" reflector (Measured by RA)
Several other 15 Million cp halogen spotlights: Non went above 400,000 CP, unknown but large reflector sizes
(Measured by RA)
Thor 10 Million CP Halogen: 183,000 CP 100w, 7" reflector (measured by mtbkndad & calculated by RA)

Updated 9/23/10.
After the "staging" prep for battle with HID, the lux went up to >400,000 lux @ 1 meter
:devil:

Updated 9/14/10.
NTC soft Start & 4x IMR 26650 to over drive the lamp to 16V
, the lux went up to 300,000 lux @ 1 meter

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Introducing the newest sequel to the Franken Mag Series: MagDaddy PAR46 HIR
Throw machine:

This is the 4th installemant in the Franken Mag series. Incase you missed any of the previous episodes, Franken Mags are all based on Maglight with various crazy Turbo heads & must be able to throw more than 100,000 lux @ 1 meter.

Episode 1. Freanken Mag DEFT SST-50: ~115,000 lux @ 1 meter
Episode 2. Franken MagDragon SST-50: ~125,000 lux @ 1 meter
Episode 3. Franken MagDragon Jr. XRE R2, ~150,000 Lux @ 1 meter
Now , without Further delay, here is:
Episode 4. Franken MagDaddy PAR46 HIR, ~200,000 Lux@ 1meter

I must credit theses two links for inspration:
FM PAR36 Head: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273839
It got me started reading about seal beam PAR 36 bulbs & it's ability to throw. So I figure, I could make one my self with 100W q4509 sealed beam. Rated 140,000CP. AS I was gathering parts, I found this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250928
alone with the bulb H7680 HIR, whiich is rated nearly 2X teh throw of q4509 with only 80W of power consumption:
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPr..._Lamps_Halogen_PAR_PAR46&SearchFieldCode=null

The rest is history. I went on the road towards over 200KU throw, nothing could stop me now:devil:

The Bulb is GE H7680 HIR, efficiency between Halogen & HID, it use
IR reflective bulb hosing to make the filament glow hotter & thus the increased surface brightness for longer throw.

At 80W of power, it's not enough to get into LuxLuther's top 10 of most powerful mag mods, but for throw, it'll probably be in Top 3?
I don't know the CP of those bobs, but most of them are massive flooders.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177171

dscf7360.jpg

The Hosts: a 6" Vintage PAR46 Lantern head from ebay & mag 4D tube.
dscf7359m.jpg

The wiring:
I put in a plastic insert to house the positive terminal holder made out of hard wood door knob & a piece of circuit board.
The Lantern had a Hi/Lo switch, so I wired a resister (2x0.5 Ohm High Power resister in series) to get low & direct drive on Hi.
dscf7373s.jpg

The Power source: 4xLiFepo4 Safe Chemistry High Amp Cells
(Max AMP rating = 14 AMPs), They are 3.36v each freshly charged, together deliver about 13.5V, perfect as the bulb is rated 13V/80W.
safe, Simple & Long Run time.
dscf7399t.jpg

The lantern head & mag body are joined together similarly as the other Franken Mags. The Mag tube are cut below the switch hole, bored slightly to reveal the bare metal. The electrical flow are facilitated by a copper ring between the Mag Body & lantern head. Then the two pieces are held together by JB weld, yes jB weld again :nana:
It's actually pretty short since I make the battery pile up all the way to the throat of the lantern. It's basically the length of a 2d mag plus a big 6 inch monster turbohead.
dscf7395j.jpg

Recessed tail spring mod, to make it as short as possible.
dscf7391.jpg

Wola, it's done. You can operate the Hi/Lo switch with one hand.
It's actually fells pretty light, because it's well balanced & the head, although really big, it's just a thin alum. shell.
dscf7380k.jpg

Shown next to the MagDragon: Who's your daddy, Who's your daddy now?
dscf7379.jpg

My family reacted more than usual tonight. My wife said "ridicules" three times :crackup:.
My son loves it, he was going like Wow, Wow, I like the big light.
So he is modeling for me tonight.
dscf7407.jpg

Bulb warming up,
img5121c.jpg

Warming up some more,
img5120e.jpg

Don't look directly into the Sun :eek:
img5117u.jpg

Beam shot at the place I always use for beam shots.
It has a spot slightly smaller than the MagDragon SST-50 /75mm ASpheric.
The beam is pretty good looking too, very symetrical, no messy filament images, excellent beam for an incan.
img5112q.jpg

Finally, Lux Measurements. GE rated 275KCP (275,000 lux@ 1meter).
On Hi, the DX meter registered 180,000 lux @ 1 meter using my 10 meter measurement system.
With DX meter reading 15-20% lower than other meters, this thing is pumping over 200,000 lux @ 1 meter for sure.
How much more isn't that important, as I am in the 200Klux club now :D
On high, it pulls 6.2Amp & On Low it pulls 5 Amp & gives 30,000lux @ 1 meter, but still brighter than My previously measured Mag 1185 (25,000lux @1 meter).

That's it folks, I am running out of ideas to continue the Franken Mag series, so the big Daddy might very well be the last Franken Mag.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Franken MagDaddy PAR46 HIR Throw Machine: Over 200,000 lux@ 1meter

Personal smile-per-post ratio at maximum for the week - I love it! :twothumbs

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks!

While reading through the PAR36 threads, I came across the link from the FM thread on GE PAR bulbs spec.
http://www.gelighting.com/na/busine...ture_library/catalogs/downloads/msb_43-52.pdf

When comparing the PAR36 bulb specs, I realized that there's Nothing in PAR36 that cold out throw this bulb,
not even the 250W level. The Highest PAR36 lamp CP is 4596, which is 250W/150,000 CP.

The lamp that makes the most sense for throw in PAR36 to me would have been Q4509, 140,000CP @ 100W.
But it's only half the CP compares to this lamp.

So I thought, why PAR36 if I could PAR46 it? The lamp measured 6.5A with my 13.5V battery set-up,
Running at about 87 Watts. GE don't have Lumen spec, the spec sheet only shows CP: http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPr..._Lamps_Halogen_PAR_PAR46&SearchFieldCode=null

Last edited:

irv_usc

Enlightened

LOL. it took THIS to get your wife to say ridiculous?

btw can you cook with that beam? it looks hot.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL. it took THIS to get your wife to say ridiculous?

Yes, my wife is a Saint:kiss:, she's been very supportive so far, tolerating me using her Kitchen as flashlight work-shop as well, so I could do my mods while "baby sitting" my son who's usually playing in the living room. Most of my lights were made in the Kitchen.

I certainly don't want to push my luck, I think I already earned a free ticket to the dog house :crackup: so I think this is where the Franken Mags will end.

I don't know as I haven't turn it on for too long, the HIR is also suppose to turn some IR into lumens, so it should run cooler than 80W halogen. I did remove the Rubber seal around the edge & make four "Copper Feet" on the brace instead, so I don't have to worry about heat melting the rubber seal.

The round brace is perfect to sit a small frying pan on, may be I'll try to cook an egg over it tonight? :cool:

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another extreme mod! I like this alot..

But... Isn't it time to place that door a bit further away from the torch ?.. SOME 500 YARDS FURTHER AWAY !!!!

Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Ra.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another extreme mod! I like this alot..
But... Isn't it time to place that door a bit further away from the torch ?.. SOME 500 YARDS FURTHER AWAY !!!!

Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Ra.

Thanks Ra, nothing compares to your Extreme Maxablaster!

Yes, I should take some long distance outdoor shots, there's a light house
in the nearby park with long distance flat ground, perfect spot. I've always wanted to go take my lights there for some long distance shots.

I used to tell myself, it's not worth the trip until it's over 100K lux.
After 100k lux, it becomes: I'll definately make the trip after the 200Klux light that's already in the planning stage.

Now, I am thinking, what's the point for the trip? Many off-the-shelf HIDs are in the 200K lux club,
maybe if I get over 300K lux...:crackup:

Now I started to see a pattern, I think I am just plain lazy ..:eek:

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened

That's it folks, I am running out of ideas to continue the Franken Mag series, so the big Daddy might very well be the last Franken Mag.

Naw, I think you've got ONE more Franken Mag mod left in ya :poke:

This one sure is a "monster" and truly fugly ta 'boot :devil: . But I'll bet it throws a devastating beam :faint:. BTW, where are the outdoor beamshots????

Hill

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

One more Franken Mag left in me? Got to wait for price to come down from this thing:

I would love to build one of this: 18,000 lumens from a tiny light source, 95 CRI.
The head looks about 3", certainly small enough to Franken Mag it. :eek:
plasmalamp285.jpg

mrartillery

Enlightened

:huh: Very nice! Beamshots at a couple hundred yards perhaps........:naughty:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like this new MagDaddy the best:thumbsup:

Here is an Idea for you that should give you 200k lux at 1 meter with reflector.

CBT-90 with 3in~5in Reflector:party: AT 5~10A of course.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like this new MagDaddy the best:thumbsup:
Here is an Idea for you that should give you 200k lux at 1 meter with reflector.
CBT-90 with 3in~5in Reflector:party: AT 5~10A of course.

It's getting too big for your new sphere :devil:

I thought about Franken Mag turbo head with a big reflector quite a bit,
sourcing of proper reflector & find a head to match will be a challenge.

Plus, knowing that the SR90 fully driven with a big 4" SMO reflector is at 112K lux. A CBT-90 could give 30% more throw, ~140K lux range at 4" SMO, so even with a good 5" reflector, it probably won't get up into the 200K lux zone. In reality, it's limited by availability & quality of parts within reasonable price. Reflector in that size would be most likely from halogen spot light, which is usually too shallow for LEDs.

There is a 4" Aspheric lens at Thor labs that could easily push led over the 200K lux zone, but at a cost of $1085 a piece :eek:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Ra, nothing compares to your Extreme Maxablaster

Be that as it may, I always enjoy projects like yours. In Holland, we have a saying which is hard to translate to english: Wie het kleine niet eert, is het grote niet weert.. It means that when one doesn't respect the small things (of others), he or she isn't worthy to have the big things... Is there a saying for that in english?

Don't get me wrong, I don't see this project of yours as a small thing..

Regards,

Ra.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

is hard to translate to english: Wie het kleine niet eert, is het grote niet weert.. It means that when one doesn't respect the small things (of others), he or she isn't worthy to have the big things... Is there a saying for that in english?

Yeah, in America, it's called mine is bigger than yours:crackup:

I am just kidding with you, Ra, you are an inspiration. The process of improving each build is what I enjoy the most, I always end up selling my lights & build new ones anyways, I promise a lighthouse outdoor shot when I am over 300K lux:D

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, since I am too lazy to go take nice outdoor shots, at least I can do is
to do the cooking experiment:

A piece of copper is placed over the light, covered by alu. foil,
followed by Organic egg from Free Running Chicken.

After two minutes, Nada, nothing happened. So I put my hand over the lamp, it's barely warm.
It seems that the HIR bulb sleeve really works, reflected most of the heat back to the filament,
there's hardly ant IR radiated out the front.

Disclaimer, No McGizmo "Sundrop" was harmed during this experiment :crackup:
dscf7435x.jpg

As a result, I think it was not necessary for me to use copper feet to replace the weather stripe, so I put the weather stripe back on, at least making it weather resistant & some shock damping.
dscf7437l.jpg

In the end, I did end up "Cook with that beam", is this cheating?
dscf7438.jpg

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, in America, it's called mine is bigger than yours:crackup:

Oh yes, of cource !!! I forgot all about that one :crackup: Thanks for reminding me !

You are right, improving things (not only flashlights) is most enjoyable..
But I mostly cannot part from my earlier creations, thats why you don't find me in the BST section.. But that can always change of cource..

Hope to see you beond the 300,000 cp mark soon..

EDIT: I can give you a tip: If you can find a way to remove the glass window of a PAR46, and remove the bulb, you can install a SST50 or SST90 on a recoil (?) basis
Those reflectors have a quite long focal length (shallow), so big chance you can effectively use much of it's aperture in a setup like that..
Heatsinking is not so hard, that is, if you can find a copper bar you can bend over the aperture..

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

EDIT: I can give you a tip: If you can find a way to remove the glass window of a PAR46, and remove the bulb, you can install a SST50 or SST90 on a recoil (?) basis
Those reflectors have a quite long focal length (shallow), so big chance you can effectively use much of it's aperture in a setup like that..
Heatsinking is not so hard, that is, if you can find a copper bar you can bend over the aperture..

Regards,

Ra.

Great idea Ra, the WF-007 style like this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213419.
That should be ideal with PAR style shallow reflector.

I still have the PAR46 Wagner bulb with the mirror reflector, it has the bare filaments.
probably don't need to break the front glass, just drill hole in the back & stick a probe with led facing backwards.

I have a copper heat pipe that I pulled from an junked air conditioning unit. Might have to try this at some point.

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great idea Ra, the WF-007 style like this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213419.
That should be ideal with PAR style shallow reflector.

I still have the PAR46 Wagner bulb with the mirror reflector, it has the bare filaments.
probably don't need to break the front glass, just drill hole in the back & stick a probe with led facing backwards.

I have a copper heat pipe that I pulled from an junked air conditioning unit. Might have to try this at some point.

If you have the skills and the equipment, you can drill a hole in the front with a diamond tool and stick in a probe with the led facing forward.. then you don't have the lightloss of the shaft of the probe which will be much more than the loss of the two lead wires in front of the window.

I didn't want to bring this up yet, but my plan is to do the same with my active heatsink setup and a 24" high quality parabolic mirror I still have, which is doing nothing at the moment.
That will give quite some cp's with a SST90 !!
The focal length of this reflector makes it suitable for use with the SST90 led: 90% of the lumens output is grabbed and the entire diameter of the reflector is used!
I think the overall efficiency of that setup will be aprox 82%..
Question is, where do I connect the Mag-4D tube...LOL..

Regards,

Ra.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

you can drill a hole in the front with a diamond tool and stick in a probe with the led facing forward.. then you don't have the lightloss of the shaft of the probe which will be much more than the loss of the two lead wires in front of the window.

Facing forward may not work, the filament is near the top of the reflector, which I would assume to be the focal point where the led need to be. If facing forward with LED projecting 120 degrees or so forward, most of the light won't even hit the PAR46 reflector.

I didn't want to bring this up yet, but my plan is to do the same with my active heatsink setup and a 24" high quality parabolic mirror I still have, which is doing nothing at the moment.
That will give quite some cp's with a SST90 !!
The focal length of this reflector makes it suitable for use with the SST90 led: 90% of the lumens output is grabbed and the entire diameter of the reflector is used!
I think the overall efficiency of that setup will be aprox 82%..
Question is, where do I connect the Mag-4D tube...LOL..

That's crazy man, 24 inches wold be a monster.
can wait to see your TIR experiment to finish, is it going smooth?