Alternatives to Maglite for modding.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering what alternatives there are to the maglite for modding in D, C, AA, AAA. Perhaps Electrolumens can sell naked bodies. Maybe a line of bodies could be made with the modder in mind.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Brinkman should be the Standard for full sized Mods, perhaps some one can bring a Brinkman rep to CPF.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe Brinkman will accept input from CPF and make a C and D light that would be ideal for our uses. Who knows, they might.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Brink D's shortcomings are its switch (non-tactical) and the reflector - which is too shallow to make a Luxeon perform as intended. Also the lack of "premium" lens options.. The Brinkmann switch nose (which is made of pot-metal) must but cut to clear the heatsink. So its a LOT more work to mod than the Mag - and then you get inferior results.

Don't get me wrong, the Brink performs very nice with a 5W mod. Just don't do a side-by-side comparison to a similarly modded Mag and you'll stay very happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sears Craftsman D bodies are quite nice. Several impressive mods have been executed with this donor. This would be my second choice after the Mags. The Brinkmann Legend AAs are really the only other widely avaiable AA option. The Streamlight Jr. AA does not seem to be as good a platform.

Wilkey