47`s preflash issue, still a problem?

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
I have bought about 8 Quark Tacticals, for me and to some friends. The last I bought was one week ago. Every single one have had the preflash problem. I am a big fan of 4sevens but this issue is really annoying, cant they sort this out? Anyone that have any news concerning this? :confused:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, the electronics of the Quarks have not changed since release. Personally the pre-flash does not bother me and I don't expect it to be eliminated for new Quarks anytime soon.

red02

Enlightened
I have bought about 8 Quark Tacticals, for me and to some friends. The last I bought was one week ago. Every single one have had the preflash problem. I am a big fan of 4sevens but this issue is really annoying, cant they sort this out? Anyone that have any news concerning this? :confused:

They don't recognize or acknowledge that this is a problem. Until they do nothing will be done to change things. Not a value judgment, just the way things are right now.

Email their CS and ask them about it. According to my last dealing with them its an integral part of the circuit and design. Personally I think since its part of the design there should be a note on the sales page, otherwise it seems like they are trying to hide it.

I know I'm going to get flamed on this since many people feel this is not a problem. My response: fine maybe not for you, but why can't you admit that some people might not like this and let me peacefully post my opinion.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
No flames here. Judging by the number of posts about it, are plenty of people who are bothered by it. Personally it doesn't really bother me much, but I can understand people being unhappy about it.

The problem is that is has been discused ad nauseam.

http://www.google.com/search?q=quark+preflash&sitesearch=candlepowerforums.com

http://www.google.com/search?q=quark+preflash&sitesearch=cpfmarketplace.com

I'm not sure how one more thread is going to help. 4Sevens has explained the reason for it, whether people choose to accept their explanation or not.

:dedhorse:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input all. I cant say anything new really that havent been said already. But I do agree that they should have a note of it on the sales page. Now I have quite got used to it but I still think its a problem. When my eyes have adjusted to the dark and all I want is my 0.2 Lumens, but WHAM! And I`am blind. Yes I know that I can cover my eyes and so on but the light isnt supposed to do that. The Quarks are great lights and I am very keen on getting the new Preon ReVO, hopefully they will take care of the preflash problem sooner or later.

I am aware that there have been many threads concerning this before, but I kind of wondered if there was any hope for a solution in the future. Yes I`ll also send their CS an e-mail.

:)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the pre-flash is the price I pay to get an efficient moon-mode, then I can live with it.

At least it's predictable. The pre-flash on my Zebralight H501 seems to come and go as it pleases (I think it's related to the mode the light was in when previously turned off). Drives me nuts.

--flatline

Xak

Enlightened
If pre-flash is the price to pay to have such an efficient light, so be it. It never bothered me or ruined my night vision.

If you plan on invading the evil ninja turtle base in the middle of the night and are worried about your x-ray vision getting spoiled then get a different light.

fannin

Enlightened
i don't see why they don't rectify it if it bothers people rather than refusing to acknowledge it as a problem

i wouldn't buy a 47's light, i read a lot of love for them here but i read a lot that puts me off them too

and they are very overpriced where i live

amigafan2003

Enlightened
The Quarks are great lights and I am very keen on getting the new Preon ReVO, hopefully they will take care of the preflash problem sooner or later.

Preons (and minis) don't suffer pre-flash as they use a different circuit.

Also, +1 for another "it doesn't bother me". It obviously doesn't bother 4sevens either and they seem to be selling enough units with it in place.

i wouldn't buy a 47's light

That's a shame as you're missing out on some great lights.

Eh? It's the same price wherever you live if you order direct from 4sevens.

fannin

Enlightened
Eh? It's the same price wherever you live if you order direct from 4sevens.
unfortunately if i buy anything from overseas i am guaranteed to get hit by a massive customs charge and a post office handling fee resulting in me having to pay just as much as the light cost again just to get my hands on it

and the exchange rate sucks

**** that

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the light, I think. I understand the preflash on the tactical models can be very bright under the right circumstances, but my experience with the standard model was that the preflash was so dim and brief as to be all but non-existent. Your mileage may vary.

arek98

Enlightened
Many (probably most) are not bothered by that. Rest is out of luck. G5 has the same problem, at least mine had on medium (I returned it). In my opinion there is no excuse for that. It can be avoided.
4sevens does not care about it. It is not expected - I didn't expect it, when I bought Quark, I thought it is broken and only after search I found this is "normal". Least they should do is to put this information clearly in light description.

edc3

Enlightened
In my opinion there is no excuse for that. It can be avoided. 4sevens does not care about it.

Really? Why wouldn't they care about it? What does 4Sevens gain by not eliminating the preflash?

You say it can avoided? Then you should offer your considerable technical knowledge to them. By all means, tell them how to fix it.

fannin

Enlightened
Really? Why wouldn't they care about it? What does 4Sevens gain by not eliminating the preflash?

You say it can avoided? Then you should offer your considerable technical knowledge to them. By all means, tell them how to fix it.
maybe he means that other manufacturers don't have it

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I have lots of multi-level lights that don't have pre-flash, and won't buy one that has it. If I want low-low, I don't want a bright flash of light prior to it. Lots of people say it doesn't bother them, but I'm not one of them. Love my Q mini CR2 though!

importculture

Newly Enlightened
i don't see why they don't rectify it if it bothers people rather than refusing to acknowledge it as a problem

i wouldn't buy a 47's light, i read a lot of love for them here but i read a lot that puts me off them too

Preflash on the lower settings bothers me to no end so I can understand your dissatisfaction. I own many 4sevens lights but not a turbo or tactical. Perhaps you could try a regular quark or if you can afford it a g5. The g5 does have a delay when pressing the tail cap but it's only on medium and so i have no difficulties or gripes. All other modes work great. If its too large I highly recommend the nitecore ife1. I haven't had any problems with delays or pre flash. I'm sure although 4sevens has an explanation for the pre flash I'm sure they tried and possibly are trying their best to eliminate it. Prehaps not in the current generation due to the large cost of engineering. But perhaps in it's successive generation. All companies if they want to remain successful evolve. I'm sure 4sevens is in it for the long haul and are spending what they can to engineer great lights while trying to remain profitable. David's been great to us here and so has alot of other flashlight companies. I think we should all voice our opinions so they know what needs to be fixed but I don't think we should write them off unless there has been some kind of egregious errors or comments from the company itself or it's representative.

fannin

Enlightened
What other manufacturer makes a light, without any parasitic drain, that goes from .02 lumens to 206 lumens? Using the 2xAA as an example.

i crave the moonlight mode, i love it, i want it and i wish my lights had it

i cannot wait until fenix includes it or something close to it, it is an innovation and I WANT IT. even just a 1 lumen mode would be super

but i have read so much about green xpg's and poor quality control i can't. i just can't

it would also be too expensive for me where i live

fannin

Enlightened
Preflash on the lower settings bothers me to no end so I can understand your dissatisfaction. I own many 4sevens lights but not a turbo or tactical. Perhaps you could try a regular quark or if you can afford it a g5. The g5 does have a delay when pressing the tail cap but it's only on medium and so i have no difficulties or gripes. All other modes work great. If its too large I highly recommend the nitecore ife1. I haven't had any problems with delays or pre flash. I'm sure although 4sevens has an explanation for the pre flash I'm sure they tried and possibly are trying their best to eliminate it. Prehaps not in the current generation due to the large cost of engineering. But perhaps in it's successive generation. All companies if they want to remain successful evolve. I'm sure 4sevens is in it for the long haul and are spending what they can to engineer great lights while trying to remain profitable. David's been great to us here and so has alot of other flashlight companies. I think we should all voice our opinions so they know what needs to be fixed but I don't think we should write them off unless there has been some kind of egregious errors or comments from the company itself or it's representative.
i won't write them off, i know that they are a very young company and they do things i do like: moonlight mode, beautiful aesthetics (some of the best looking lights ever imo, clean and knurled all over) and nice options like warm/neutral etc but i'm just not ready to buy one yet and until i can get one for a reasonable price in the u.k. they are out of my reach.

next week i will probably feel differently, last month i really wanted one, i want a aa2 and an aa turbo but not with preflash and not yet

i like the turbo but don't like the tactical interface, am i right in thinking that on a regular quark you have maximum output when fully tightened and moonlight when it's loosened?

i do like forward clickies though

Last edited: