Olight M21 problem

Till

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased an M21 Warrior and am having problems with it.

When I tighten the bezel, the light will not turn on, and it is not being overtightened. The bezel has to be partially loosened for the light to come on. I've made sure nothing is obstructing the contacts, and am using quality Duracell batteries.

Also, SOMETIMES the momentary-on feature will not work. I will partially depress the tailcap, but the light will not turn on either. I have to fully click it in order to turn the light on. It's hit and miss, sometimes momentary-on will work, sometimes it won't.

Kinda disheartening when you immediately have problems with a $110 light.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Try new batteries, see if that cures the problem, cleaning the contact points wont hurt.
Check the spring on the positive terminal to see if it makes contact with the battery when the head is tightened, you might need to stretch it a bit. Are you using the battery magazine?
If all fails, send it in for an exchange.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
You say the bezel needs to be loose to work? Does this apply to using the momentary on as well?

Does tightening the bezel make the light not work at all and also make the momentary on work temperamentaly?

Steve.

Till

Newly Enlightened
The batteries are new. I've tried SF brand and Duracell.

I've also cleaned the contacts and also the gold ring around the circuit board with a Q-tip and alcohol (as suggested by an Olight rep).

I've contacted Olight and they said just to send it in for repair/replacement. But I wanted to gather some input here too.

When the bezel is fully tightened, no mode will work. It won't light up at all. It's almost like this was intended as a lock-out mode for the light.

I have these problems regardless of whether I'm using the magazine. I've tried to both ways.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
It's weird, it should light up with the head loose or tightened. There's a contact point (ring) on the outer edge of the pcb in the head. It might be damaged or it might need a clean, along with the edge of the body that comes in contact with.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a lemon. :shakehead Just contact the company you bought it from and they should exchange it for you, if you just bought it. Hopefully, you bought it from a reputable dealer and not fleabay.

I've had my M21 for a few months now and it's held up quite well. It's actually one of the brightest 1x18650 lights that I own, and I like the fact that I can still use primary 123's in a pinch.

It still sucks that you got a lemon, as I've experienced the same with another brand...but as long they exchange it, no harm/no foul.

Till

Newly Enlightened
I bought it at a gunshow which is no longer in town.

Till

Newly Enlightened
It's a genuine Olight, I can tell by the light itself and the packaging, but I no longer have my receipt. But then again, Olight didn't ask for one when they said to send it back.

Ronin28

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear you're having problems. This is probably my absolute favorite light that I own. I think your best bet would be to send it back to Olight and have them fix it. Keep in mind though that you may be without it for a while as sending it back to Olight constitutes sending it to China for repairs (I believe that is the case anyways, someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Good luck!

Xak

Enlightened
I had a similar problem with my M20. Try making sure the reflector is screwed down tight. Mine kept loosening up after switching modes alot and I had problems like that.

If they haven't fixed that problem yet I'm not going to buy a third Olight product. That is just a simple basic thing to fix and can mean the difference between life and death depending on who is counting on this "tactical" light.

Email Matt at Batteryjunction if that is where you bought it. He will most likely make you happy. Their customer service is great.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I bought it at a gunshow which is no longer in town.

That sucks. That's kinda why I buy from the online dealers listed in the CPF marketplace. They all pretty much offer a CPF discount and the CPF dealers that I've bought lights from all have excellent customer service for such problems...i.e. returns/exchanges are a breeze.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I had a similar problem with my M20. Try making sure the reflector is screwed down tight. Mine kept loosening up after switching modes alot and I had problems like that.

If they haven't fixed that problem yet I'm not going to buy a third Olight product. That is just a simple basic thing to fix and can mean the difference between life and death depending on who is counting on this "tactical" light.

Email Matt at Batteryjunction if that is where you bought it. He will most likely make you happy. Their customer service is great.

There isn't a problem to fix. When you change modes, you hold the light at the tip of the bezel, where you unscrew to change the reflector. If you don't want it to loosen up, apply some loc-tite to the threads.