• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired feeler: shorten Z46 (M3 bezel)

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Tired of messing with the shock foam in your SF/Clone Z46 (M3 Bezel)?

Here is my solution!

A shorten Z46 bezel. :twothumbs

Spec of the prototype:

*Made from a clone Z46
*The lense is sandwich between the bezel ring and the D36 drop in (nothing else)
*Threaded for the bezel ring

Pictures of the prototype:

Z6a1.jpg

Z6a2.jpg

Z6a3.jpg

I am still in the process of striking a deal with machine shop, they need me to come up with a number they can work with
before they begin production. I am gathering interest at the moment and I have 20 spots to fill, once the spots are
filled I will work out a price.

Production:

The final product will be made from raw material (aluminum) not from other clone Z46s.
I am going with something similar to TLS TX4 look, easier to machine.

Anodization:

I want to match the SF HA III gray, looking for a place that will do this color.

The List:

01) carl
02) Cesiumsponge
03) Cesiumsponge
04) purelite
05)
06)
07)
08)
09)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
What I'd rather see is a deeper reflector to use up the shock foam space. Then it would act like a fatter KL6, and should throw even better.

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to see how this works out. I just paid for nailbender to build me a module and I've had issues with getting the foam to stay on a Lumens Factory drop-in. I was thinking of replacing the foam with a metal or plastic bushing but cutting it down and rethreading would probably be best. I know the foam reduces the light output a bit otherwise.

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
+1 for a deeper Z46 reflector.

I found D36 modules caused the foam to shift out of place and block some light. I trimmed about 1/4 of it off lengtwise and then took a little bit off the end - problem solved.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input! That's a pretty good mod for the Z46, I think I am gonna have them make me a reflector once this piece is completed.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its about time.

I been avoiding those bezels due to that, but if you can get rid of it kudos.

I also like Donn's idea of a bigger reflector, but which one:confused:

Rommul

Enlightened
Instead of making a shorter M3 bezel why not just create a new design?

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how many units Nailbender needs before he gets stuff machined, but seeing his drop-ins are the most popular, it would be awesome to have a deep reflector because you could simply remove the loctite from the brass heatsink and thread on a deep reflector that gets rid of the lossy foam. I think a lot of folks are using the bigger M3 lights as throwers anyhow so a deeper reflector would probably benefit the majority of users.

I've also talked to Nailbender about the foam issue before and he informed me that there is enough material on the edge to turn down a shoulder, like the OEM reflector, so the foam doesn't buckle into the reflector. Of course, this would have to be done on your own. I'd totally buy a couple deep reflectors if that was an option. It appeals to me more than cutting down the bezel because that is a permanent mod. I guess I can always buy an extra Z46 and have it turned down, and see how it works.

ejot

Enlightened
Looking forward to see how this works out. I just paid for nailbender to build me a module and I've had issues with getting the foam to stay on a Lumens Factory drop-in. I was thinking of replacing the foam with a metal or plastic bushing but cutting it down and rethreading would probably be best. I know the foam reduces the light output a bit otherwise.

I am actually modeling a Z46 head and this bushing right now so I can put together my M3 that just came back from Modamag coating. If I manage to first get the deck sealed and the garage floor epoxied this weekend, I'll jump on the lathe and bang a couple out.

Also just thought of another option. Seat the reflector all the way to the front of the bezel, and then design a retaining ring / extension piece to hold it in place and conduct the negative side. A little more involved, but would also get a little more OTF. Would need a spacer in the battery tube too (ie a really short "dummy battery").

Of course a deeper reflector would be great, but for this one I'd rather leave my NB drop in as it sits. The shortened head is a good idea and very functional, but detracts from the elegance of the Z46. In my particular case, I wouldn't want to cut mine down for fear of chipping the custom ano.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input, this has been a productive thread!
Lots of good ideas, seems like I am not the only person frustrated by
the shock foam thingy.

As for a different design. I have a few ideas in mind.
1) Shorten version of the older Z46 with the cooling fins
2) mini KT4 (basically a shrink down version without the anti-rolling area)

About the reflector, edited.. donn just answered the questions. I am gonna get this thing made
by the end of next week, so stay tune. :twothumbs

Last edited:

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
the prototype is finished, the cost of making this item was actually quite high. :devil:

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Man it looks really good.

High??

What is the price?

This end up costing me $100! :faint:
However the shop now has all the dimensions to make more of these, they can machine these out of aluminum. I have to find another place to get these anodized. I am still in the process of negotiation, so I am gonna update this thread once I get the numbers down.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that the prototype you had made in the first picture? If it is, did you get it coated already or is that just a shortened Z46 head?

Is that a real Surefire SW02 or is that a Firekylin clone?

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
The prototype is clone z46 I got from nailbender. The shop cut down and re-threaded it, the dimension is measured and prep for replication.
The sw2 is a clone I got of the marketplace (possibly firekylin).

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the final product be cut down clone Z46 heads or will it be made from new stock?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very interested in either a shortened clone Z46 or other similar solution if no deeper reflector is found. Your mod looks a bit like the TLS TX4 which looks rather nice.

I assume a standard D36 drop-in will have the reflector lean right up against the glass lens.

And I also assume there are no existing reflectors that can be cut down to fit. On second thought, it is probably better to go with a modified head like you propose over and above a deeper reflector since, as newer drop-ins with newer LEDs come along, there will be no need to continually come up with new reflectors that match the new LEDs' beam and die profile. Let the pill makers deal with making the appropriate D36 reflectors for the LEDs they use.

Last edited:

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Your mod looks a bit like the TLS TX4 which looks rather nice.

WOW!! :eek: I had no idea this thing exist, this opens up a new door.
The shop was saying the anti-rolling area on the bezel will be difficult to replicate and will bring the cost up. I am considering going with something similar to the TX4 head which would be much easier to machine, and have the shop crank them out.

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup: