Another LED light application

lhloy

Newly Enlightened
True flashlight story: Although I am a newbie here, I am a gadgeteer from way back. I have really enjoyed the pride of ownership for my first 'real' flashlight: A Fenix LD20R4. What a fantastic combo of technology, craftsmanship, and performance!

Last week (actually 8/16/10) my wife went into the hospital for surgery, and I planned to stay the 3 nights (turned out to be 4) with her in the bedside recliner. I was very keen to keep my new flashlight handy for nightime use. The neverending nightime interruptions for 'vitals' readings is another story.

When my wife came out of surgery / recovery, and was (finally) moved to our standard hospital room, the R.N. announced that she had to start an additional IV site, their policy required 2 available at all times. One used during surgery was some sort of special deal that had been removed.

The nurse had for way too long trouble finding a vein (not too unusual), and left to get some 'help.' She came back with a small flashlight, and held it against my wife's arm, running it up and down trying to spot the vein patterns within the flesh. I was on point by this time and told the nurse I could outclass her wussy little light now that I saw what she was trying to do. This nurse was a good sport (they are all different!) and when I produced my LD20 and popped it on in turbo mode, she was taken aback by this incredible but cold light. She used it very successfully to locate an acceptable vein within a few minutes and told me she'd never seen such a light.

I felt like a proud new poppa but of course the important thing was my wife's well being. Long story short, my wife's surgery was successful and she is home recuperating nicely. And I have a great new flashlight tale.:twothumbs

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like real life stories that go with the lights we buy and use and normally ask for pics but on this occasion I do not want to see any pics thanks.:D

Wish your wife continued good recovery from me here in North Wales in the UK.

Redhans

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post! I'll have to try that when I'm in the hospital.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Good necro-bump; As a side note, those of you planning for an overnight hospital stay as a guest should include an air mattress on your list - this makes a world of difference comfort-wise, and helps you be at your best for the other person.