How does Opalec compare to Ultra G??

pilot4x4

Enlightened
How does the throw from an Opalec conversion compare to the throw from an Ultra G? I realize neither one has much in the way of throw. I'm considering purchasing an Opalec though and I put a couple of my Ultra Gs together because I figured the light from two of them would give me a good approximation of how bright an Opalec would be. Is the range about the same or can I expect slightly more from the Opalec? John

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Opalec has a Lux reading of about 41 at one meter. The Ultra has a Lux reading of about 28 on a new battery at one meter, so... two Ultras together (with new batteries) will illuminate an object at one meter more (28 x 2 = 56) than the Opalec.

However the Ultra output diminishes over time while the Opalec remains rock steady for about 8 hours...

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Do you know if those are the numbers for the current Opalecs? I emailed them and they say the new lights are brighter due to using better LEDs.
John

KDC

Newly Enlightened
I have both, and for most use would prefer the Opalec.
The Ultra-G is more rugged, smaller and easier to carry.
The Opalec is brighter with a smaller hot spot and better throw,
and importantly, the Opalec is better regulated.
If you already have a mini-mag, putting in the Opalec is the easiest
and best way to make it useful again.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
They're both great lights. Buy both. The Ultra G on your key chain and the Opalec for fishing, hiking, camping and blackouts. I have both. I used two MiniMag/Opalec flashlights on a 4 day and night fishing trip in the wilds of Northern Canada. The only way to get there was by float plane. The MiniMag/Opalec flashlights were perfect. It's a natural pointer, filling the hand nicely. It has more throw than the Ultra G and the output stays steady for about 8 hours.. The Ultra G is the perfect key chain light. It's also a good backup if you drop your MiniMag/Opalec in the lake.
oldgrandpajack

RAH

Newly Enlightened
I agree with oldgrandpajack that you should get both. However, I think that Quickbeam is correct about the "throw" of 2 Ultras versus 1 Opalec - the Ultras would be appear stronger. I always think of the Opalec as being about 1.5 times brighter than an Ultra. Any greater throw that the Opalec seems to have is because of this greater brightness, not because of any greater projection of the beam. The Opalec and Ultra have VERY similar beams as far as shape and range, IMHO. But again, they're both great lights!

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I already have a few Ultra Gs and ARC AAAs, I was just looking for something that put out just a little bit more light to use around the house and my yard here where it's really dark at night. My ProPoly 4AA and some of others I have really put out too much light for what I was looking for. So maybe I'll give the Opalec a try.
John

paulr

Flashaholic
Note you can get a little more output from the Ultra by dropping in an L91 lithium AA cell. That cell has slightly higher voltage than an alkaline, and the voltage stays flatter during the runtime, so output will be closer to constant as well.

RAH

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pilot4x4 said:
I was just looking for something that put out just a little bit more light to use around the house ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, Opalec would be perfect!

red_robby

Enlightened
my Ultra G is definitely brighter then my opalec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, the opalec's beam is whiter...