Which Malkoff? M61 or M60LF?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
For your purposes, which would you rather have, the Malkoff M61 or the M60LF?

For walking in the woods at night, travelling along paths, etc... would it be best to get an M61, or an M61L? Does the M61L provide enough light for this purpose?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No comparison IMO. M61, preferably the M61W. I've been using various Malkoff's almost exclusively for nearly the last three years and I think the new/updated design is just tops.

I could write more, but I'm not sure what aspect(s) you consider important - there are a fair number of differences between these two modules and I don't know what specific features you're looking for.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Well, for each, they have good advantages.

The M61 is bright, and has decent run times. And the M60LF is decently bright, and has great runtime.

Now, I am trying to consider if I can get by with 140 lumens, or if I need the extra 100 or so lumens, but with much reduced run time.

I compared two flashlights, one at around 240 lumens, and the other at around 140 lumens. This is around 100 lumens difference, but to my eyes, it only "seems" like a 5-10% difference in brightness. Is that more or less the case in your view with the M61 and the M60LF? If I could get buy with less lumens, the lower output and better runtime model may be better for me. What do you think?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense intended, but they are so different that you need to figure out what YOU need and want and reboot the question...both are excellent. The sale price on the LF makes it a steal, but that doesn't help if you need a different drop-in.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Since the CPFers are more the experts, or have had experience with each of these assemblies, which would be ideal for putting into a SF 6P host for the purpose of lighting the way through a dark path, like through the woods?

Ideally, I would like to light the way and be able to see 50 feet ahead, and to see the surroundings. It almost seems like the the "LF" version would be best.
But, I am unsure if the 100 or so lumens (one-cell) would be sufficient.

However, I am also curious what other applications there are for each assembly, and what other CPFers are using it for (scanning rooms, walking their dog, etc.) to formulate an idea of what the assemblies are used for.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LF is great for lighting up your surrounding area, im currently looking for a lF warm tint version to replace my LF

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] for the purpose of lighting the way through a dark path, like through the woods?

Ideally, I would like to light the way and be able to see 50 feet ahead, and to see the surroundings. [...]

However, I am also curious what other applications there are for each assembly, and what other CPFers are using it for (scanning rooms, walking their dog, etc.) to formulate an idea of what the assemblies are used for.
I've been using my M31W for nighttime walks recently, and IMO it's far far superior to the older M60 for my uses - it has a decent hotspot for distance but still provides ample spill for my closer surroundings. Its beam is close to perfect for all-around use IMO.

I believe that the flood versions of the M60 are better for indoors use (i.e. a wide range of sight is needed at close distances), but just wouldn't cut it if you are in an outdoors situation where you'd like to look out a little further. I've used a few floody lights outside, and while they are excellent at reasonably close ranges, they don't do well at all for any distance.

And if you need the greater runtime that the 'L' version would provide, just carry a spare cell instead (a single 18650 can provide a tremendous amount of runtime, and the newer (lower Vf) version of the Malkoff is an even better match for a single LiIon). However, if you're using the M60LF and find youself needing more output or throw, there's really not anything you could do except by carrying a second light.

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I've been using my M31W for nighttime walks recently, and IMO it's far far superior to the older M60 for my uses - it has a decent hotspot for distance but still provides ample spill for my closer surroundings. Its beam is close to perfect for all-around use IMO.

I believe that the flood versions of the M60 are better for indoors use (i.e. a wide range of sight is needed at close distances), but just wouldn't cut it if you are in an outdoors situation where you'd like to look out a little further. I've used a few floody lights outside, and while they are excellent at reasonably close ranges, they don't do well at all for any distance.

And if you need the greater runtime that the 'L' version would provide, just carry a spare cell instead (a single 18650 can provide a tremendous amount of runtime, and the newer (lower Vf) version of the Malkoff is an even better match for a single LiIon). However, if you're using the M60LF and find youself needing more output or throw, there's really not anything you could do except by carrying a second light.

Thanks for this. So, I will buy the M60/M61 then.

Thanks man.

A lot of what I've read in my search has been experiments and tests done by you. Thanks Falcon.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why people don't think of diffusers. I've gone through hundreds of posts in threads in the past where people are arguing back and forth on the quality of the beam, wondering whether throw or flood is more valuable. And never once is a diffuser mentioned! Brain glitch? Hard to understand.

Correct answer: get the throwy beam (in this case, an M60L without the "F" at the end) and use a diffuser whenever you really need a floodier beam. If you want a higher lumen output and don't worry about the lower runtime, then get the M60.

If you want a warmer tint, and are willing to sacrifice lumen output/runtime, then you get a M60W.

It's not hard, really it is not! There are enough choices here, really good choices, to suit every need.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why people don't think of diffusers. I've gone through hundreds of posts in threads in the past where people are arguing back and forth on the quality of the beam, wondering whether throw or flood is more valuable. And never once is a diffuser mentioned! Brain glitch? Hard to understand.

Correct answer: get the throwy beam (in this case, an M60L without the "F" at the end) and use a diffuser whenever you really need a floodier beam. If you want a higher lumen output and don't worry about the lower runtime, then get the M60.

If you want a warmer tint, and are willing to sacrifice lumen output/runtime, then you get a M60W.

It's not hard, really it is not! There are enough choices here, really good choices, to suit every need.

I agree completely, diffusers are very useful and never get brought up. That being said the M61 probably has the most useful beam I've ever seen and should cover all your flood requirements, even without a diffuser. Trust me, it has plenty of bright flood. Its not a great thrower but has good punch and big hotspot.

Also, Bigchelis has tested the M61 around 300 lumens, I agree with this as the M61 is my brightest single die light and is noticeably brighter than my 200-240 lumen lights so the M61 will probably have about double the lumens, although it won't appear to be that much brighter. You won't be let down by the M61, its superior to the M60 IMHO.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
With that information, if I were buying it, I'd order the M61 for sure. It has more than enough spill for your purpose, and if your travels extend over a day or more, the difference in runtime is easily dealt with by taking a spare pair of cells (carry them in a manner that prevents any inadvertent shorts). FTR, I have (among others) an M60LF, M60F, M60 and M61.

Since the CPFers are more the experts, or have had experience with each of these assemblies, which would be ideal for putting into a SF 6P host for the purpose of lighting the way through a dark path, like through the woods?

Ideally, I would like to light the way and be able to see 50 feet ahead, and to see the surroundings. It almost seems like the the "LF" version would be best.

lightplay22

Enlightened
I just received my m61 and absolutely love it! Today I turned around and ordered the m60lf that is on sale. When I get the m60lf I am looking forward to darkness so I can compare (or just plain play with) the M60, M61, and the M60lf.

I can't imagine going wrong by buying both!

Also the M60lf is good to go in the all nitrolon Surefire G2's which is what mine will be used in.

pwatcher

Enlightened

I've had (and have) both, plus half a dozen other versions Gene has made.

For your stated purpose, I think your ideal light would be a M61W in a MD2 host with a two level output ring.

But between the specific two you asked about, I think either would be adequate. The M61 is more efficient, but the M60LF is a better buy.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have both. No comparison, the M61 is all around more useful. If I could only carry one light, an M61 equipped Surefire would be my Go To.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think M61 is the light I find useful about 80% of the time, with the rest going to M60.

M61 is really useful indoors, but in fact outdoors also, as in a dense forest it will give you a better view of all available paths.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Well, it looks like I should have jumped the gun when I could have -the Malkoff Devices M61's are now completely out of stock.

Which one of you flashaholics was it? :sold:

Anyways, that leaves only the M60LF's in stock at the Malkoff site.
The last time I checked there were 56 in stock, then 47, and now there are 43 in stock. It'll probably go down to 18 by this coming Friday.

$59.99 on sale for $39.99? Maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Last edited:

lightsandknives

Enlightened
M60LF is still an excellent choice. It's actually one of my favorites for runtime and output. Mine is the warmest of all my Malkoffs, and it's a creamy white. At that price, you really can't go wrong.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Anyways, that leaves only the M60LF's in stock at the Malkoff site.
The last time I checked there were 56 in stock, then 47, and now there are 43 in stock. It'll probably go down to 18 by this coming Friday.

$69.99 on sale for $39.99? Maybe it's not such a bad idea.

They used to sell for $55. It's still a good deal at $39 tho....

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well, it looks like I should have jumped the gun when I could have -the Malkoff Devices M61's are now completely out of stock.
If I was you I'd just wait until M61W's are back in stock - it seems like production has picked up a bit at Malkoff now that most of the new line has been filled in. Also, there have been a fair number of them coming up on CPF/MP recently.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
CPFbiology, uniquetitanium.com has both the M61 and M61W in stock. Its a great drop in, even my parents love it and they don't notice flashlights usually.

Latest posts