CMG Reactor - I don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomSwango

Newly Enlightened
CMG Reactor - I don\'t get it

I just received two new CMG Reactor lights and I don't get it. They don't seem to be any brighter than a ARC LE, only bigger. Am I missing something or should I unload these things on eBay ASAP.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
Re: CMG Reactor - I don\'t get it

Unload,

I found the reactors to be average at best.. I may buy a Reactor 3 which uses 3aa batteries. You may want to try Lithiums, it helps a little. After using lights Like a Lambda Illum you get spoiled. Can't wait to get my Badboy 500.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Absolutely need lithiums to maximize brightness!

Today I received 6 of the Reactor "Seconds" (warranty only applies to the LS itself). They are from the initial run that do not have the switch detents. Most of the heads are tight and should not rotate on "their own", but one is rather loose (hence "second"). It's a problem easily solved by backing off the end cap 1/4 turn.

I bought these for glove boxes/emergency kits. For $15 each they are easily the most inexpensive LS based torch on the market for this purpose. A pair of lithiums installed and they should be ready to go "if needed".

One is really white and bright with hardly any pea green corona. The others exhibit the characteristic PG corona we are seeing to varying degrees in so many LSs.

kodiak

Enlightened

I bought it and I don't like it much. Whoever passed the design for the switch should be fired. However I find I get usefull light from loading it with 2 N batts and a Titanium AAA (picked that up on this forum)
wink.gif
. I would not pack it just set it somewhere. The stupid piece that swivels on the switch broke on me non-induced.

doubleganger

Enlightened

allowing for the well know variation in luxeon star emitters, the reactor is exactly as bright as every other unboosted, un-resistored 2aa powered luxeon star, for example, my inretech 2aa is almost exactly the same brightness as my reactor. They both are noticeably brighter with lithiums and yes, the reactor III is way brighter, taking about 3 hours on alkalines to drop to the brightness of the original reactor with fresh lithiums.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find my Reactor to be slightly more bright than my Inretech, both on lithiums. I guess I pretty well new what to expect with the LS running on 2 AA's. I'm happy with both, for the price paid. TX

doubleganger

Enlightened

sorry, I couldn't say from personal experience as I haven't seen either of those two in person. Hopefully in about a week I'll be able to compare it with a badboy 400ma. Just to my eyes it seemed at least 50% brighter than the reactor 1, and I like the light of the reactor 1 just fine. Of course I don't much care for the switch or it's apparent lack of waterproofness, but the price is sure right.

beamer

Newly Enlightened

I guess I got lucky with mine,although I wouldn't buy another.

SuRgE

Enlightened

My first was almost perfect. Equal to my sls arc in brightness and color. My second reactor was a very BIG BIG disapointment. Very green and not much brighter than an arc le.

If your a gambler get a Reactor!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Darkgear..."That's what I'm doing!"...don't tell those who are getting the gifts though! Hey really they're all non-flashaholics, they'll get off on the "brightness and longevity" that comes along with lithiums. I'll type up a little "LED info brief" to "educate" them and let them know why it's a great emergency light!

You know I ordered one from you, it was a good one right out of the package...was I lucky? I then ordered 5 more from you for "gifts" (the ones with the switch detents). I then got wind of the 2 for $30 "seconds" direct from CMG (the ones from the first run without the switch detents) and ordered 6 more! AM I NUTS OR WHAT?

My new Wavetek "Meterman" LM631 digital lux meter is arriving tomorrow (yeah right, that's what UPS tracking says
grin.gif
) and I'll be testing all 12 of them and other torches that I own...can you say "fun" (what was that sig line or post that said "Flashlight Nerds will always make Computer Nerds look normal")?
grin.gif
grin.gif
!

I really should give the ones with the switch detents for gifts and keep the "seconds" as my emergency lights...but I'm not sure what I'm going to do!
grin.gif
I'm going to have to check the "who's been naughty & nice list"!!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a poor man's ArcLS2nd or KL1... In short, you won't find anything on the market right now that offers an LS optics and is cheaper. But you get what you pay for, and if you put alkalines in it, you'll be cryin... Lithiums are the only way these guys will ever get to normal brightness (or expected brightness from an LS driven light)... NiMHs won't cut it either (kind'a funny, since NiMHs have a much lower resistance, compared to alkas, yet can't increase the light output compared to alkas).

I'd say, if you really want an LS, but can't afford a KL1 or Arc2nd, then by all means, go for it. If you want great quality and optics, avoid this like the plague... NEWho, LS starters should grab themselves an ARC-LS before any others...

Status
Not open for further replies.