New pocket light quest.... bigger light performance in a very small light

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to carry a pocket light throughout the day for misc illumination needs and am still struggling to find the "sweet spot".

I carried SF L1, LF3XT, E1b, for a little while and though great lights, I found them just a tad bulky and heavy for what I wanted.

Then in an attempt to lighten the presence in my pocket, I carried the LF2XT in the pocket for awhile. Great light. Somehow I still wanted a little more performance.

I carried an LD01 for a while (just for the heck of it.) Great light, but twist, twist, twist... and longer run performance was lacking. And all that twisting for different levels really got old for me.

So, deciding I preferred more power in my pocket light, I've been carrying a Quark123 or QuarkAA for quite a while. Good lights with very good overall performance. Almost perfect, but still, bigger/heavier than I would prefer.

So, now of course, I feel I've got too much size/weight flopping around in my pocket again, so I'm thinking of trying one of the small form factor 123 or AA lights.

The new BK125A looks appealing, and I like the ano-colors! But if it's very spot-oriented (as many JetBeams are), it won't be what I want in a pocket light. I much prefer the broad, soft illumination for a general use/indoor light. (If I want throw, I'll toss the Jet I Pro v.3 in my pocket.)

The new EZAA R5 also comes to mind, even if it is essentially a single (but programmable level through ramping) output light. I like that it doesn't require a bunch of twisting. I must be able to use a 14500 li-ion, however... not sure this is ok.

Perhaps an EZ123? I like that one continuous twist takes it from lo to high, not a repeated back and forth twisting effort. Again, must be able to use an RCR123 (16340) li-ion.

Or the EZCR2 - can it be run with a li-ion?

MiNi123 comes to mind, but I've read some not so positive reports on operational issues with that and tint is important to me so I'm a little leery of trying that, though I may. It does require numerous twists to get different levels, though, and that's what I didn't like about my LD01, so... I don't know.

Preon 1 on li-ion??? Oh yeah, twist, twist, twist. :sigh: So I guess that rules it out.

I guess I'm leaning toward the EZAA or EZ123.

I know I rambling here, but does any of this resonate with any of you?

What are your thoughts on a light which combines bigger light performance in a small/light package?

Last edited:

JDest

Newly Enlightened
DHart, you have much more experience when it comes to lights than I, and I've certainly enjoyed all your awesome pictures, so a thanks up front is required. But if you look at the Jet I Pro as a pocket light (100mm long) then I think you would be VERY well served by looking into the Zebralight SC60. It's spanking new at the moment and may not be shipping yet, but its the same size as your Jet I Pro and if, it follows Zebralight tradition, will be geared for flood over throw. It has a claimed 270 OTF which is a good amount higher than most of the pocket lights youve mentioned so far. Of course its got the other fun stuff too (low-low with absurdly long runtime, clicky, etc.) Now obviously its not the smallest light out there, but it's definitely the smallest 18650 and exactly the same length as your Jet I. Maybe wait for a review first, but definitely check this bad boy out (although I'm sure you're well aware of it by now, bud). As for me, I'm :popcorn: and waiting for selfbuilt to get his hands on a sample.:twothumbs

If that turns out to be too large for your pocket carry tastes, I dont think I could possibly suggest anything better than what you already have listed. One day we'll have 300 OTF from a MiNi 123 sized light.:eek: But not yet.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
JDest... thanks for your suggestion. That SC60 looks great and judging from my H501 neutral, I like the UI and the quality. It's definitely a lot heavier and bigger than what I'm seeking now, but sure looks to be a light I would like to have! (I love the 18650 lights!)

And I'm glad you appreciate the photos... I enjoy making them. Take care, buddy.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small, floody, 14500, KISS UI (no repeated twisting)? I think you have hit the mark with the EZ series. So for floody beam, I suppose EZ AA R5 is the one. The older EZ series have more throw.

Another might be DST TLR, it has 3 programmable modes like Jetbeam's and it's the slimmest AA clicky I have. (Not sure if this one falls within your price range though)

Can't say about BK135A since I don't have it. EZ CR2 is a sweet little light too, I use rechargeable Ultrafire 15270 in it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the posts and threads here and on other light subjects,seems you and me both are looking for the same light.

New version EZAA is out for me too many others with problems with it,D10 also out.Jetbeam 135A is waiting for beam shots and that switch problem so leaving that for now also.

Fenix LD10 R seems the way to go for me but not really keen on the look of it,just a tad to big and I really want it to be AA.

I am going to have a good look at the Zebra SC50+ AA cell.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the posts and threads here and on other light subjects,seems you and me both are looking for the same light.

New version EZAA is out for me too many others with problems with it,D10 also out.Jetbeam 135A is waiting for beam shots and that switch problem so leaving that for now also.

Fenix LD10 R seems the way to go for me but not really keen on the look of it,just a tad to big and I really want it to be AA.

I am going to have a good look at the Zebra SC50+ AA cell.

Are you speaking of problems with the EZAA R5 model that just came out? Is it having issues?

I LOVE the D10 R2 (just ordered my second one while I still can) but it's too big for what I'm interested in here.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small, floody, 14500, KISS UI (no repeated twisting)? I think you have hit the mark with the EZ series. So for floody beam, I suppose EZ AA R5 is the one. The older EZ series have more throw.

Another might be DST TLR, it has 3 programmable modes like Jetbeam's and it's the slimmest AA clicky I have. (Not sure if this one falls within your price range though)

Can't say about BK135A since I don't have it. EZ CR2 is a sweet little light too, I use rechargeable Ultrafire 15270 in it.

Thanks... yes the EZAA R5 and the EZ CR2 are highest on my radar... AT THE MOMENT, along with the EZ123... I need to study them some more. Glad to hear you can run a rechargeable in the CR2!

Do you know of any issues with the new EZAA R2?

Last edited:

steve007

Newly Enlightened
Although quality control is somewhat lacking, I did stumble across an Ultrafire PD10 that boasts 220 OTF. Well I measured the output using a quite expensive and very accurate tool and it's actual figure is set at 185 OTF. Not bad for a 3 inch light....has 5 modes and the stock clicky has held up very very well under constant abuse. Runtime on high mode is 40 minutes and low mode is 30 hrs.

Mind you I'll have to add that I lucked out with this light as most have quality control issues that are too many to mention. I guess it was the luck of the draw on my part.

It is extremely light, and uses one 16340. Has a coated glass lens and has a CREE Q5 XP-G led.

Good luck with your light hunting.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know of any issues with the new EZAA R2?

I have mixed feelings about EZAA R5. There are features I'm delighted with and others that fell below my expectations. It has a very nice gunmetal HA, the beam profile is almost perfect and floody, threading is one of the smoothest I've twisted and single mode that's programmable. There are no technical issues if that's what you're asking, but If I'm to nitpick, I would prefer the size to be slimmer and/or shorter, ensure better QC in the consistency in the knurling and ano between head and body, eradicate slightly loose threading, lower low and a slower well-paced ramping. I don't even mind if they stick to the UI of previous EZ AA R2. In terms of the specs you're looking for, EZ AA R5 seems to fit the bill, whether you'll like it or not can only be confirmed upon using it.

Here's a review by AardvarkSagus. Also check out EZ CR2 from him and Selfbuilt.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel... thanks for your comments! Sounds like the EZAA R5 may serve me well as a very small but potent pocket light, with great powering options! Can it do 14500, with max for limited periods, ok?

Nice to hear about the beam profile and the threading/feel. In watching a demo on YouTube I agree that the ramping is waaay too quick. Deal-able, but too quick. Size wise, I will just have to wait and hold it. And the lowness of the low... sounds like there is some shortcoming in this regard.

Is the tint good? Not green like many Quarks are reported to be?

Can you compare to the MiNiAA, just a brief, Zeruel comparo? If you have a MiNiAA?

I will check out the reviews you linked. Thanks so much for your input here, my friend!

I have mixed feelings about EZAA R5. There are features I'm delighted with and others that fell below my expectations. It has a very nice gunmetal HA, the beam profile is almost perfect and floody, threading is one of the smoothest I've twisted and single mode that's programmable. There are no technical issues if that's what you're asking, but If I'm to nitpick, I would prefer the size to be slimmer and/or shorter, ensure better QC in the consistency in the knurling and ano between head and body, eradicate slightly loose threading, lower low and a slower well-paced ramping. I don't even mind if they stick to the UI of previous EZ AA R2. In terms of the specs you're looking for, EZ AA R5 seems to fit the bill, whether you'll like it or not can only be confirmed upon using it.

Here's a review by AardvarkSagus. Also check out EZ CR2 from him and Selfbuilt.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not done a runtime on this fellow yet. :(
Tint is good, in fact, it's pretty much the same as all the Quarks I have, ie white. So I'm not really sure what "green" tints are from a Quark. On another note, if Quark doesn't have a repeated twisting UI, I would recommend it over the EZ AA R5. It's smaller, brighter (on max) and has optional hidden modes.

img0034le.jpg

img0032ip.jpg

Left: EZ AA R5 Right: Quark MiNi AA
Because it's close to the surface the beam is projected on, the EZ AA does not have such a pronounced hotspot as shown during normal use.

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried both the QminiAA in neutral from 4sevens and the older/original EZAA from Nitecore. I agree with Zeruel that the multiple modes of the MiniAA are very nice, but I did not like that the light couldn't be operated easily/at all with one hand. The EZAA fit my hand perfectly size wise and switching from low to high could be accomplished with one hand relatively easily imo. The tint on the EZAA was good too. Relatively white with no displeasing greens etc to speak of. Sad that I gifted the light to my brother...will have to get one for myself some day. :)

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I am getting a lot of use out of a Quark Mini AA at the moment. It is not as convenient to operate as something with a clikie but I have no real problem operating it one handed.

Mine has a noticeable green tint, which I dislike, but the stupid output an high using a 14500 makes up for a lot of downside.

I know the LED will get cooked in short order on high if left there, but used judiciously it is both fun and useful.

I took this for another purpose, but here is a Quark Mini AA on high with a 14500 next to a Mini Maglite that has two fresh batteries. Try to guess which is which without my telling. ;)

QuarkminiVsMaglite.jpg

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
DHart I have the SC60 and it really is a fantastic flood light with a wide soft hotspot and very wide bright spill, the beam IMO is flawless and reminds me of some of the custom flood light pics I have seen.

It is about the same size as my HDS 170T but just a tad bit longer ~.25", and with battery's loaded they feel about the same weight. Width is also the same as far as I can tell by eye, I really cannot suggest the light enough I have grown to love it and before I got it I was all about throwers like the Jet-I Pro. I have not seen any green tint in my SC60 on any of the levels, I feared this most of all while waiting for it's arrival.

It sounds like even though it's small it may not be small enough to satisfy what you are looking for right now, if that's the case how do you feel about the SC50 and SC50w? Certainly it would meet the small enough criteria and it also has mostly a floody beam.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
JDest and jhc... I haven't looked at Zebralight since I bought my H501 neutral about a year ago... the SC60, SC50, and SC30 all look to be fantastic lights. And yeah, while a thrower is great if that is what you need for the task at hand, for a general use pocket light, the vast majority of my use calls for a wide, soft beam.

I've only used my H501 as a headlight, so just for the heck of it decided to remove it from the headband and play some... amazing little light (operative word~little!) Zebralight makes a great product, for sure. Not a good pocket light beam-wise as it too diffuse, but sure is a great light for reading and tasks close at hand!

I really like Zebralights new UI... quite versatile and quick to use.

How are you actuating your SC60, with the thumb or first finger? I'm thinking perhaps of starting with the SC30, and can easily see having all three!

Tint-wise, how are they? I have a neutral (Q3) H501n which I like, but if the tint on the SC's is clean white, may go that route for greater output. I'm having a tough time deciding between the cool and neutral emitters on these.

I did order an EZAA R5 from tacticalleds.com last night. At $35 it was a fairly easy click to make. :)

Last edited:

Font size

Newly Enlightened
Re: New pocket light quest.... bigger light performance

img0032ip.jpg

Left: EZ AA R5 Right: Quark MiNi AA
It looks like the EZ is more of a spot, the Quark more wide flood.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you actuating your SC60, with the thumb or first finger? I'm thinking perhaps of starting with the SC30, and can easily see having all three!

Tint-wise, how are they? I have a neutral (Q3) H501n which I like, but if the tint on the SC's is clean white, may go that route for greater output. I'm having a tough time deciding between the cool and neutral emitters on these.

I use a underhand grip and use my thumb for hitting the switch, the SC60 feels just perfect when used like this.

The SC60 is white and I can't see any green even in the lower modes. I have both the SC50 and SC50w, the SC50w is more on the warm side of neutral rather that the cool side. The XP-E SC50 is a nice tint as well there is no signs of blue or green mostly just white with maybe just a touch of pink when looking on a whitewall, outside it looks fabulous for a non-neutral emitter.

I also have the H31 and H51 along with the new updated H501 with the low-low and one thing I have noticed about Zebralight is the consistency of the good tints. It feels good knowing I can be confident about the tint when I order a new Zebralight.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC60 is white and I can't see any green even in the lower modes. I have both the SC50 and SC50w, the SC50w is more on the warm side of neutral rather that the cool side.

Do you find one generally more satisfactory than the other? If you could have just one of the two... which would it be?

The XP-E SC50 is a nice tint as well there is no signs of blue or green mostly just white with maybe just a touch of pink when looking on a whitewall, outside it looks fabulous for a non-neutral emitter.

Sounds like ZL is using "premium" emitters (vs. the non-premium emitters in the Quarks... hence the greater variability/possibility of a green tinge in the Quark line.)

"For a non-neutral emitter" is the operative phrase in your comments... so it sounds like you are happy with the tint on the standard model from ZL, but would possibly choose the neutral if from another company?

Zeruel... thank you for those beamshots. Looking at the two, I would prefer the broader orientation of the Q! So I guess the EZAA R5 I have in bound may be a little better oriented toward outdoors use.

As I have spent the bulk of today comparing sizes, weights, and to some degree beamshots of the closest competitors I have come to the following conclusion... the Quark MiNi123 is a tough light to beat for small size, light weight, CR123/RCR123 powering ability, and wide, soft general use beam.

For me the only downside is twist on, twist off, twist on, twist off, twist on to reach HIGH. SHEESH! Rediculous. You would think perhaps high, low, medium might be better. How many people will want to start in low and STAY THERE? I would suspect most people would want at least medium if not high to start, then scale bac =k if desired. But then, of course, someone would complain that the light doesn't start in low. No winning, I guess.

But when it comes to being really small, and very light weight, but still having potent output and a potent powering source... you've got to give the nod to the Quark MiNi. The Nitecore EZ offerings are no where near as small, nor as light, nor do they have quite the output. And from the looks of your beamshot, the EZAA R5 has a beam which is less suited for general indoor use than the Quark MiNi is.

I included a number of my current lights in the chart below to give myself a reference point of comparison in trying to determine how the new light would feel in my pocket from the standpoint of weight and size. I omitted the CR2 models, as I think I'll be content stopping at CR123/RCR123 from a powering and size/weight standpoint. I have plenty of other RCR123 lights and plenty of RCR123 cells, so having another RCR123 light will be quite easy from a powering standpoint. I do recognize that operating the Q MiNi123 on RCR123 will require minimal operation on HIGH due to heat. Of course this means that down the road, I may just HAVE to get a CR2 model as well. :thinking:

Amazingly, the QMiNi123 including battery is lighter (slightly) and shorter (significantly) than the LF2XT with battery, which is a AAA light! The LF2XT is, of course, slimmer, more feature-laden, and more sophisticated.

PocketLightRack-Up.jpg

The MiNiAA is generally a superior format for powering options (14500 li-ion, lithium primary, NiMh, alkaline, etc.) but is significantly longer and heavier than the MiNi123. For my present quest, the MiNi123 looks like a top choice.

SO... after all that... Now I'm trying to decide on taking the risk of getting a "greenish" QMiNi123 R5 or going for the somewhat lesser output, but probably more pleasing tint of the QMiNi123 neutral.

The Zebralight SC30 has gotten some serious consideration from me, and I'm sure it would be a wonderful light to have, and I probably WILL buy one. But it is almost twice the price, 42% heavier, and 13% longer than the QMiNi123. Though it offers a much better UI, my primary focus here is smaller, lighter, and less costly is good too.

I'm still mulling it all over. The SC30 may still win out for a MUCH BETTER UI and I'll just deal with the slightly added weight and length. The SC30 also gains points for being "officially" approved for RCR123 use. :thumbsup: Truth be told, I really try to avoid running primaries, if I can possibly get away with RCR123 or 14500 or 17670 or 18650 or...!

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you find one generally more satisfactory than the other? If you could have just one of the two... which would it be?

Sounds like ZL is using "premium" emitters (vs. the non-premium emitters in the Quarks... hence the greater variability/possibility of a green tinge in the Quark line.)

"For a non-neutral emitter" is the operative phrase in your comments... so it sounds like you are happy with the tint on the standard model from ZL, but would possibly choose the neutral if from another company?

Even though the SC60 is bigger I would still choose it for a pocket light over the SC50. Of course size is subjective but the output and runtime vs. the size ratio just wins out IMO in this example. Also I really believe the SC60 is more comfortable to grip, the size is just perfect for the underhand grip using the thumb to operate the switch.

Non-neutral emitter..:thinking: sorry I could not think of a more technical term to use at that moment so I had to use a non-technical term. :ohgeez:

I'm happy with both tints but I do carry the standard model more because I prefer white tints over neutral.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the EZ is more of a spot, the Quark more wide flood.

Zeruel... thank you for those beamshots. Looking at the two, I would prefer the broader orientation of the Q! So I guess the EZAA R5 I have in bound may be a little better oriented toward outdoors use.

Actually, it's pretty floody. It's just that the shot i took is close to the wall, to show you the white beam.