Malkoff MD2 and M61 Drop in, who uses this Setup?

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, I have managed to get myself a MD2 and currently I have a M60LF in it which to me seems a bit pointless as it has the 2 mode switching ring, so I would be better off with a higher output model, and the ability to drop it down to low to get that long runtime when needed.

Now the thing is Im looking for a warm tinted version but they are no longer available in the M60 format which is what I need for the MD2 because I dont have a lense, yet...

So who uses the M61 drop ins in their MD2 heads and how well does it work, the opening in the head looks almost too small for the reflector in the M61 modules, is it?

I have however found a lense that should fit and I have ordered 2, one with and one without the LDF, im hoping the LDF works really well at smoothing out that M61 hotspot, anyone tried it?

I take it the gasket that the MD2 head comes with will work with the lense, so in order from the drop in it goes M61 > Lense > Gasket > MD2 Head.

etherealshade

Enlightened
I've got a photo of my MD3 with the M61 in it:

It's a perfect fit for the reflector as you can see. You've got the order of assembly correct; the lens fits over the reflector within the brass bit of the M61.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, it does fit perfect. How shock isolated do you think the lense is, have you dropped it yet lol.

etherealshade

Enlightened
It's not protected on all sides like some designs, but it seems okay. The dropin clamps it onto the gasket pretty well, and it has some room to move within the dropin itself. I would be too worried about it, but then, I haven't dropped it yet. Maybe I'll toss it off my work roof (about 25 meters onto concrete) and see how it fares!

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I have an MD2 and currently have my M61 in it. I've had several drop-ins in it, but have settled on the M61. The high-low switch works great in it, with low being very useful. It kept working itself loose for the first couple of days, but seems to be staying put not.

I ordered the lens and gasket from Gene when I ordered the light. It has the correct gasket with it.

timbo114

Enlightened
The bevel in the ID of the MD2 head was configured for optimum output.
I've had all 6 of my Malkoff modules in my MD2.

As compared to my SF6Ps w/M6x units, all of the non floody units presented a wonderfully wide spill beam from my MD2 head, no difference in appearance with or w/o lens kit.

MD2 + M61 w/Hi/Lo = Sweetness ;)

If Gene is sold out, flashlightlens.com UCL 22mm x 1.9mm

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well even if Gene did have stock I wouldnt buy from him as the delivery price is $35, more than the lens itself. I have ordered 2 lenses from flashlight lense and delivery was only $3.

Is it maybe an idea to place a thin oring between the reflector and the lens, thinkin about the ones that come with the Ra Clickies around the tail

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
You shouldn't have any problem with the M61W in the MD2 but keep in mind that many members here are finding that the M61W's are not as "warm" in tint as the M60Ws and some other warm/neutral lights.If your looking for true neutral the M61W is that,at least on my example.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Great, it does fit perfect. How shock isolated do you think the lense is, have you dropped it yet lol.

I think it should be fairly safe if you drop it. Mine fell about 6' onto a concrete floor at work and just has the dent you can see on the left edge of the bezel in the photo.
IMG_0458.jpg

Also the lens is kinda recessed in the bezel and has a small diameter so it seems unlikely to crack/shatter unless your trying to break it.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with civic77 the design of the MD2 provides a lot of protection for the lens the way it is recessed.I don't think there is a better light than the MD2 in terms of the protecting the lens.

The Coach

Enlightened
I recently picked up an MD-2 so I would have the body to lego with my Hound Dog and Wildcat, but the empty head really bugged me, so I picked up an M60-LF (the M61 was out of stock) and a High/Low Bezel Switch and made a nice usable light. :thumbsup:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an md2 / m61 and hi/lo ring, i like it a lot but would prefer it had a 'medium' level.

full blast or low low just doesnt seem right to me

its for sale or trade (for a multi level light of = value) if anyone is interested?

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
I'm runnin w/the md2 hi+lo switch m61. I love it! I just wish the low was a little higher, perhaps 40-50 lumen range.