Inova X5T vs KL1 E2

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering getting an Inova X5T to use next time I go camping instead of my Surefires. I like the idea of a white floodlight, but I also like the red one. I'm considering getting the white and just slapping a filter on when I need to preserve nightvision.

What I'm wondering is the lumen output and runtime for a white Inova X5T compared to the approx 17 lumens and 4 hour max output and 11 hour low output runtime of a KL1 on an E2.
How about a red X5T?

Also, do the filters/covers for the E series fit over the X5T bezel (red filter)?

I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

-Jason

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
flownosaj,
I had an X5T and wound up givng it to my kid to strap to his bike. I am not by any means saying that the Inova is a toy. It is, in fact, a fine flashlight; however, it's no match for an E1e or E2e/KL1 combo. If you are worried about flood, just get a beam shaper for the KL1. That's cheaper than getting the X5, and the E2/KL1 combo is noticeably brighter than the X5. The 5 nichias are no match for the 1 watter.

As far as runtime goes, Inova claims 20 hours of useable light. The question then becomes, how useable is the light and for what? I recently had the occasion to need to change a crank sensor on my wife's car in the dark. The only light I had availble was my X5T. I started on fresh batts and ran it constantly for most of the night. I'd say all together about 5 hours, if memory serves. I did have to change batts because it got to a point that the light wasn't giving off enough light to see what I was doing.

I would concede that there is probably a runtime advantage on the side of the inova, but I think that it is negligible. I prefer the E1-E2/KL1 combo for form factor and performance. The E's are easier to fit in your mouth when you need both hands.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Chop. That answers my question then--no real advantage over battery life when the 5 white nichias are being driven to upper tolerances.

I guess the only advantage would be to get the X5 in red to preserve batt life, but I guess that would just be an extra light to carry when I could use a beam filter over my Q3HD-KL1. Oh, the plight of the flashaholic...

-Jason