Streamlight Key-Mate: Possible Mod Host?

watchfire

Newly Enlightened
Hi, everyone. Super long-time lurker here making his first post.
I wanted to see if anyone thought that this light could be modded
to host a 1W Luxeon or not. I recognize we're working with very
small dimensions here.

keymate_info_04.jpg

Streamlight Key-Mate

Runtime is not important to me, but momentary brightness and size are.

I appreciate any/all info/tips.

Thanks.

Thad

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Watchfire. Sorry, I can't help you with modding--absolutely no technical skills, but I just wanted to say welcome!

Regarding the KeyMate, it certainly is a great, little light, isn't it? Now if it could take a 1W LS, ooh la la! Hope some of CPF's knowledgeable members chime in.

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
It would be a real task to modify that light to hold a luxeon, and you would not get much run time at all due to the small batteries. Hopefully LEDs ASAP will chime in, he is the EXPERT on the small Luxeon host. My advice is to buy one of his modded solitaires or one of his modded Arc AAAs, and forget this.

If you don't mind a bit more size, Lambda's micro illuminator is great. I have both the solitaire and the micro illuminator, and I end up using the micro more due to the tail switch.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Does this light have a switch? Also, if it runs on three 1.5V button batteries, then maybe a DirectDrive 1W Luxeon mod is in order!

Of course you'd have a run time probably measurable in seconds, but what cool, jaw-dropping seconds they would be!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone on the forum modded one with a brighter 5 mm LED, and ran and extra cell in it as well.
The beamshot looked like a luxeon.
+
These take four cells normally, right?

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
Yes, 4 LR44s. It is a pretty bright light out of the package. The one that I have is brigher than an Arc AAA or CMG Infinity Ultra.

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
I have one, and it is significanly brighter than my infinity ultra. I am going to Radio Shack tomorow to see iff I can find a Brighter LED to stick init just to play with!! I too managed to get an extra cell in for a little bit of oomph, I must note haowever that with an extra batt. in it makes the head very tight to turn and I had to wrap a piece of paper around the extra batt. as a means of extending the little plastic sleeve. Would be awfully cool to get an LS in there!!!

paulr

Flashaholic
There have been a number of Luxeon mods for 1aaa lights. I think that's a more practical approach than trying to use those button cells.