Quark AA² R5 Tactical Or Not?

Lime

Newly Enlightened
For the last couple of days I've looked up the best flashlights which use 2xAA because I already have rechargeable AA batteries and need a good flashlight for the winter.
I found 3 that seemed good: Felix Ld20 R4, ITP C8T and 4Sevens Quark AA² R5.
After looking through tests and reviews I choosed the Quark but now I'm wondering if I should get the Tactical or Regular version?

About the tactical version:

"The Quark Tactical can memorize any two modes of output, from its eight total modes, to be instantly available. These two memorized modes are accessed by either tightening or loosening the head (for example, tight can be Max, and loose can be Low).
Programming Modes:
To have your Quark Tactical memorize a different mode, turn it on and loosen the head by a half-turn. Then, tighten the head at least four times rapidly (twisting it tight, then loose, then tight, etc., four times). After the fourth time, leave the head tight or loose depending which position you want to program.

After three seconds, the light will flash, signaling it is ready to be programmed. Cycle through the eight available modes by clicking the tailcap off and on. The mode sequence is as follows:
Moonlight » Low » Medium » High » Max » SOS » Strobe » Beacon
Once you find your desired mode, leave that mode on for ten seconds and the light will flash again, confirming that the mode has been memorized. To cancel programming before it flashes, turn the light off for three seconds"

And the Regular version:

"The two most commonly used modes are Max and Moonlight, the highest and lowest modes. To access Max, you simply tighten the bezel. To access Moonlight, you just loosen the bezel a half-turn. That's it.
You can also cycle through the Quark's other modes just as easily. Lightly depress the button momentarily (you don't need to 'click' it off) and the output will switch to the next mode. The mode sequence is determined by whether the bezel is tightened or loosened:
Loosened Bezel: Moonlight -> Low -> Medium -> High -> SOS -> Beacon
Tightened Bezel: Max -> Strobe
Once the Quark has been turned off for at least three seconds, it will revert to the first level of output in the sequence, either Moonlight or Max."

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change between other modes than the programmed ones on the tactical version?

Suggestions are appriciated :)

PerttiK

Enlightened
You have to reprogram one of the modes to get different output.
Even with regular version you can quickly access moonlight or max depending on the position of the head.

:welcome:

Warp

Enlightened
I prefer the tactical interface for a pocket light. That is what I went with for my 123^2 Quark back in Jan and am happy I did. I really like the momentary on feature and the ability to activate the light for a short period of time, then off, then back on without having it go to a different mode. I get annoyed when I have to cycle through all the virtually uselss (to me) modes like beacon and SOS just to get to what I want.

I have a lot of experience with both methods as my pocket EDC was a Fenix P3D-Q5 for a long time before making the upgrade to the Quark.

Oh, you can easily program any two modes that you want. One for bezel tight and one for bezel loose. There is a very good instructional video on this available through youtube if you want to see it in action. Right now mine is on max/low

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the Regular version as you are able to quickly access the other modes, I have one of each and prefer the regular version. But that said I think that there is a place for the tactical version as well. I think the regular would excel in EDC or just everyday use, IMO, but get what you think you will appreciate more. The last thing you want to do is pay a lot of money for a flashlight and totally regret it :ohgeez:

Warp

Enlightened
Tactical givces you essentially immediate access to any two modes of your choice while the rest are very slow to get to. Regular gives you a slow-medium access speed to all of them.

Regular can tailstand, tactical cannot. (did they change this so the tac can tailstand?)

Tactical has momentary on, regular does not.

Last edited:

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
What do you want it for? just general edc? What do you normally use your edc for? and in what environment?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Regular can tailstand, tactical cannot. (did they change this so the tac can tailstand?)

You are correct.

Tactical canNOT tail-stand.

Unless, (as i have done) , you add a "normal" tailcap to yer' Tactical model.

This is SWEET ! ! ! :kiss:

Of course, by doing this, i no longer have "momentary On".
But that's fine. (for me)

lovecpf
_

wantsusa

Newly Enlightened
Can't you add the Quark Turbo flat tailcap to get tailstand and momentary also? (though if you don't like that it is a bit larger then the rest of the body...then...)

workingmids

Newly Enlightened
I like the regular, since it operates similar to my Fenix models, but I use the $9 tactical cap for improved EDC activation, especially with gloves, but still have the original tail cap if tail standing during a prolonged power outage becomes desireable. Can't really go wrong either way.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
As the others have said, ideally you'll have some idea of how you would use it already and be able to select based on that. Otherwise you'll just have to roll the dice with whichever one you think you'll like better.

I have a regular that I carry often. In general, I've found the quick access to multiple levels very useful, as the situations I encounter need varying levels of light. There have been occasions, though, when I wished I had momentary capability or had the light already locked to a specific level.

One that springs to mind was when I was helping someone examine a potential new apartment, and they needed a light to look into an access panel. I had to make a quick decision between turning it on myself and handing it to them, handing it to them and trying to explain the UI, or just handing it to them already set to max. I ended up with the last option, which worked with a minimum of fuss but was definitely overkill for the small space being examined.

Although the ensuing comment was worth it: "Woah, nice flashlight... really nice flashlight!" :D

Lime

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, most of them were really helpful :)

I would use the flashlight when I walk the dog in pitchblack forests.
I think I will get the normal version as I guess I'll mainly use the Max-mode.

Edit: I noticed there's a Turbo version for 18 dollars more which has a better reflector; is it worth it?

Last edited:

exchange240sx

Newly Enlightened
Since you can order them from Home Depot online, why not buy them all to test them out. Keep the one(s) you want, and return the one(s) that don't work for you to your local store. You can even get free shipping if you order over a certain amount.

stallion2

Enlightened

Edit: I noticed there's a Turbo version for 18 dollars more which has a better reflector; is it worth it?

i would recommend the Turbo, and not necessarily for beam. i've had the Turbo awhile, my first 4seven's light, and it out throws my LX2 while maintaining enough spill to be a great all-around light. i just picked up a titanium Quark 123^2 and it probably has a more useful/versatile beam but it gets warm fast. the Turbo does a much better job of heat managment and after running both for a few minutes you can tell that the Turbo retains a lot more output than the standard Quark.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I prefer the regular, but use a tactical for work, since I use the same two modes all the time.

The regular is extremely fast to change modes once you get the hang of it. Once your eyes adjust to the light, the low or medium mode is usually sufficient. Bringing it up to high is almost instantaneous.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The turbo has a larger reflector and will "throw" light farther than the non-turbo.

My preferred set-up is the regular, with a tactical tailcap for momentary. I find most times I don't need to leave a light on for long, just to identify something, and can just soft press to get to the level I need, then click it on if need be.

Lime

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I just ordered the turbo version.
Can't wait till it comes :)