Damaged e01?

bbb74

Enlightened
Just wondering whether one of my e01's has been damaged, or if it just has a fault.

I gave my son an e01, and it is now definitely significantly less bright compared to another e01 I have thats around the same age. I've given it a clean, swapped batteries, and swapped bodies with the one that is brighter and no difference.

The reason I'm wondering if it has been damaged is a few times he's fallen asleep with it turned on and I've only turned it off a few hours later, meanwhile its been clutched in his hot little hand under the covers so its pretty hot.

The other thing is at one point he took the battery out and put it in the wrong way, he was then trying (and failing) to thread the head back on - he never got it threaded to get it on, so the contacts on the outside edge of the head never touched the non-anodised ring on the body. But could this have still caused damaged? I don't think there was ever a reverse circuit, but all the points on the bottom of the head (which is flat) would have been touching the flat base of the battery. But that isn't a circuit, right? If you did manage to get the head on with the battery reversed, would you simply totally destroy the led, or would it reduce the brightness like it is?

Or is it faulty?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It may be he tightened it really hard with the battery in backwards and broke a component on the circuit board that normally would not be touched with the battery in correct due to the nipple spacing it away from the rest of the circuit.

daf3m

Enlightened
I don't think either is the reason of this malfunction .I use mine every night for 10-12 hours without any problems at all.

daf3m

Enlightened
I don't think bbb74's son can overtight the E01 more than me ,no offense :) .If the battery is checked (really have you tried a lithium AA which is rated at 1.8volts?) ,maybe the Nichia is faulty.

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Does it flicker? Mine does with some batteries. They seem to be a bit short and produce a slightly loose contact.
I put in a thin piece of metal down the battery tube, now it performs well, as it should.

Well, it didn't behave like that when it was new - dunno what happened :shrug:

bbb74

Enlightened
It wasn't overtightened as he barely got the head on.

It doesn't normally flicker, only if I deliberately try to get the contact somewhere between on and off.

I tried the Imedion AAA that is the other E01 and it made no difference in the "broken" e01. Works fine in the other one.

Might just write it off at some point, for now now its ok because less likely he'll blind himself with it :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It wasn't overtightened as he barely got the head on.

It doesn't normally flicker, only if I deliberately try to get the contact somewhere between on and off.

I tried the Imedion AAA that is the other E01 and it made no difference in the "broken" e01. Works fine in the other one.

Might just write it off at some point, for now now its ok because less likely he'll blind himself with it :)

Nichias are pretty rugged so it probably has circuit problems. You could take it apart and put a reistor in it bypassing the circuit and drive it with a lithium ion instead.