Does any one actually build drivers?

Sprinkles

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a driver for some time, and I missed out on the opportunity to get EXACTLY what I was looking for. Now I'm on the hunt again. I'm just going crazy about this one.....maybe there are options out there I'm not familiar with.

I'm looking for a 3 mode, user selectable (through ramping) driver that runs off either a 123 primary or RCR, and will push up to 1400mA. Maybe I'm missing something that already exists....please point it out to me 'cause I can't find it! lol

Thanks!!
GR

Sprinkles

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've seen the list - looked it over a few times. I didn't see any that meet what I'm looking for.

I wish there was a way to get a hold of some of the drivers currently found in some lights - ie. IBS, LiteFlux, Novatac....etc. I don't know that those would have a high enough drive current.

Thanks!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That particular setup is exceptionally hard to design for. The reason lies in the very close voltage between Vbat and the led Vf, but also since neither one is consistently higher. Not only that, but a single cell 123 (primary or R type) can hardly keep up with that power demand. Take a look at the battery section and look at the 123 discharge curves and commentary. At 1.5 - 2 amps, those cells can be in real trouble fast.

As you go through the dischange of the cell, it will go from needing a buck driver to a boost, adding considerably to the complexity of the circuit design, and generally, loosing efficiency. Added on top of this, is that there just are not many (not zero, but few) driver chips that work like this with a lot of power.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a driver like this in much more than 750ma. I think I remember the sandwich shoppe makes one, or at least used to. Other than that, consider a different battery setup, such as 2S x 123 cels.

irv_usc

Enlightened
do you really NEED ramping or is it just a want to have?

i'm a fan of the shiningbeam driver. 3 levels, 2.8A max. if you want 1.4A, just remove two of the AMC7135 and high becomes 1.4A.

there's always the taskled d2flex. user programmable dimmer. but i believe it's direct drive. i believe the new H6flex has programmable current tables and also programmable ramping levels if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Sounds like a job for a FluPIC driver - though I don't think they go up to 1400mA. I wish goldserve was still in the game - he used to do one-off programming on his FluPICs.

Georges80 might be able to help as well - though I think there are minimum orders required. He's a member here on CPF, and has his own website as well.

Good luck and have fun,
:thumbsup: john

Sprinkles

Newly Enlightened
It's a "highly desired" feature. :whistle:

No, I don't have to have it, but that's what I'm stuck on right now. I like the versatility of it. I don't know why, but I have a tendency to mess with my light levels on the other programmables I have. ARGH! lol

The SB driver is good, and there's even a driver that goes up to 1400ma - i have three left - but they're not low enough for me. The low is just not low enough - I'm looking for a driver that's going to be like "moonlight" low, less than 6 lumens. I have an old P2D I like, but the low on that one is not low, and it's rated 12 lumens. I have a liteflux lf3xt, and that has a good low - only 2-5 lumens. Very usable in my kid's room while he's sleeping!

I suppose if I found a driver that had a really low low, a low/mid mid, and a 1400 max, I would be "fine"....

Sprinkles

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a job for a FluPIC driver - though I don't think they go up to 1400mA. I wish goldserve was still in the game - he used to do one-off programming on his FluPICs.

Georges80 might be able to help as well - though I think there are minimum orders required. He's a member here on CPF, and has his own website as well.

Good luck and have fun,
:thumbsup: john

The ones from Georges80 are a little off since the Vi for me is lower than most of his options. It would be usable for a 2 cell light though. That's just not what I have at the moment....

I still really appreciate the replies!

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
The sandwich shop has a a buck/boost driver. You can stack 2 or more together to get the amperage you need. I just built a 3amp buck/boost driver using three of them. Unfortunately, there is no option for modes.