Help me chose: Nightcore Extreme vs Sunwayled M10R

CDPMan

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for a new single CR123 led EDC light. I am a law enforcement officer working a plain clothes assignment and need a light that I can clip to my belt or pocket and have with me whenever I need it. A few of the guys I work with have the Surefire E1B and its nice, but its expensive and only 110 lumens. I have looked at a lot of the single CR123 lights out there and have come down to the Nightcore Extreme and the Sunwayled M10R. Both have what I am looking for; small size, high light output and pocket clip. Both are resonably priced in the $70 range. Let me know what you guys think my best bet would be!

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I don't have either of the two but after reading a review of the M10R, I'd pick it over the nitecore.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/283132&highlight=m10r

Also take note that surefire's stated lumens are very conservative, for instance my Surefire 6P puts out 120 lumens but has comparable output to my Fenix TK10 which puts out 225 lumens. There are more then a few manufacturers out there that like to play number games but as long as you buy from good brands familiar to CPFers, then you probably won't get burned.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I vote for the Nitecore. It has two levels one of which can be easily programmed while the M10R has too much difference between low and medium while medium is too near to maximum. In practice I consider M10R a single level light cause I am only able to use medium.

krayman

Newly Enlightened
My vote will go to M10R, the overall quality is over Nitecore. My only complain is the serious ringy beam pattern.

Last edited:

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
nitecore extreme.

chef4850

Enlightened
Nitecore Extreme! Here is why

1). Better UI - fully programable :twothumbs
2). Better build quality - at least I think. I gave a way my M10R the day after I purchased it.
3). Better beam profile! - By a long shot!
4). Better clip - Attatched and not "clip on"
5). Better switch - Easier activation - although it does not tail stand
6). Better reflector - M10R is a "plastic reflector" I think? :sigh: and the Extreme has a Metal one - Hence the better beam profile.
7). Higher lumens and output - M10R has set levels and bad ones at that. Extreme the user setting has infinate brightness settings.
8). ENOUGH SAID! - GET THE NITECORE EXTREME!:thumbsup:

Chef

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the review it looks like the Sunwayled can't take RCR's. Rechargeables might not be your thing though.

I have neither of those two lights, but there are plenty of others I'd go for first.

Zebralight SC50 or SC60.
Quark 123 or AA

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that Ma Sha runs his "up to 3.2v" SunwayLED light on an RCR.

I have a "25% off one SunWayLED" coupon at BatteryJunction that I won't be able to use. It expires on September 5th. Want it?

Edit: I'm offering this in a few threads where people are considering getting a SunWayLED product. PM me, earliest gets it.

Last edited:

mayo

Newly Enlightened
Don't have the M10R, but do have the extreme. I'm quessing the throw is still better on the extreme(main reason I got this light). Nice interface. I like the tactical clicky sticking up a little. More knurling makes it easier for me to hold. Holding up well here.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the resale value of flashlights is so high, why not purchase both & sell whichever you like less?

Then there will never be a what if I made the right decision scenario.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I don't know about the M10R but my recently purchased Nitecore Extreme is a great
EDC; small, very well made and with an RCR123 fresh off the charger puts out in
excess of 200 lumens, which, on this sample, is very impressive.

How the cell holds up I can't say yet but with judicious use of a sensible low secondary
mode of about 40 lumens for EDC tasks, around the house etc. it should be OK! :thumbsup:

Latest posts