RA Clicky vs Surefire E1B vs Fenix PD20 vs Infilux

stoli67

Enlightened
I have both the Fenix single CR123 models (PD10 & old PD20 not the PD20+) and was thinking of getting another single cell CR123 light.

There are so many great light out there..

The choices boil down to

1. Nitecore Infilux
2. Surefire E1B
3. RA Clicky
4. other???

I like the fact that the infilux can go down to 0.1 lumens. Also for high pwer settings... both the Nitecore and the surefire seem to outshine the RA clicky.

boulder

Newly Enlightened
1xCR123 lights are my favorite format! In response to your question...

1. I ordered the IFE1 and was not satisfied with it. Lumen rating is way too high, my quark 123 is noticeably brighter. Doughnut hole dark spot in beam. Felt cheap overall to me so I sent it back.

2. I love the TIR optic on the Surefires, definitely a great compact thrower. I own an E1L and the LX2. E1B is nice if you like the UI.

3. My HDS EDC is my favorite light that I own even if it isn't my brightest light. I have the high CRI 100 lumen version. I love the programmability, sturdy feel, and overall build quality. I can't wait to get a Clicky 170 to compliment the clicky that I have now.

4. I'd recommend the Quark 123 R5. Wicked bright for its size pick either the regular or tactical UI based on your preference.

That's my 2 cents! I am always looking for neat new lights too

Imon

Enlightened
Can't speak for the a lot of the light you mentioned here but I have a Ra Clicky and a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman.
+1 on the TIR optics, the E1L is an impressive thrower considering it puts out a lot less light than a lot of other single cell 123s. The E1B of course is going to throw further but with considerably less runtime.
As for the Ra Clicky, the more you use it the more the UI becomes second nature plus it has lots of customizable brightness levels. You can customize the features it comes with as well - and for a light like that it actually is very reasonably priced (at least to flashaholics).

HKJ

Flashaholic
stoli67;3508034I like the fact that the infilux can go down to 0.1 lumens. Also for high pwer settings... both the Nitecore and the surefire seem to outshine the RA clicky.[/QUOTE said:
The low on Infilux is more like 7 lumen (I have looked at it here). The Ra is a solid light with a good selection of low levels.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the Infilux was a big disappointment its not nearly as bright as it should be,their is a donut hole in the hotspot and the ring in poorly done. Trying to use the lowest mode is nearly impossible and the ring feels gritty when twisting.

Of the light's I have the HDS 170T would be my first choice in the 1xcr123 category. It's very solid has multiple modes you can program to your liking and great customer service from Henry who is always on CPF joining conversations and answering questions.

HKJ

Flashaholic
For me the Infilux was a big disappointment its not nearly as bright as it should be...

I do not understand that remark, when I measured the light it is about the same as other 1xCR123 light, but the hotspot is not as tight, i.e. it will not throw as far.

The light is not one of my favorites, but the reason is not due to low brightness.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not understand that remark, when I measured the light it is about the same as other 1xCR123 light, but the hotspot is not as tight, i.e. it will not throw as far.

The light is not one of my favorites, but the reason is not due to low brightness.

I will re-phrase and say it's not as bright as I think it should be, It is advertised at 260 lumens and I have tested it against many light's I own via ceiling bounce and it seems the Infilux I recieved is about 200 lumens at best. To me that is disappointing for a light advertised to be 260, I would think it would at least be around the 230-240 range.

It is almost identical in brightness when doing ceiling bounce to my old XR-E PD30 and my Zebralight H51. If I compare it to a PD30 R4 or Quark AA using 14500 it's no contest.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I will re-phrase and say it's not as bright as I think it should be, It is advertised at 260 lumens and I have tested it against many light's I own via ceiling bounce and it seems the Infilux I recieved is about 200 lumens at best. To me that is disappointing for a light advertised to be 260, I would think it would at least be around the 230-240 range.

It is almost identical in brightness when doing ceiling bounce to my old XR-E PD30 and my Zebralight H51. If I compare it to a PD30 R4 or Quark AA using 14500 it's no contest.

Now I understand, expecting a 1xCR123 light to match a 2xCR123 is rather optimistic.
In my comparison it is brighter than a Quark CR123 R2 (Same as a Quark AA using 14500).

Some light uses OTF lumen, some emitter lumen. Look for OTF or FL1, when you want to compare lumen. But with FL1 remember to always check a runtime plot for runtime, the specification gives a huge advantage to unregulated lights!

yowzer

Enlightened
For Other: Jetbeam RRT-0. Very nice, well built light, with well-spaced outputs from fairly low to pretty dang high.

Of the others, I only have a E1B. Also nice, no frills, with great throw. For general purpose use, I like the RRT-0 better, but it's hardly a bad choice, and an excellent one if you're looking for a small thrower.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I understand, expecting a 1xCR123 light to match a 2xCR123 is rather optimistic.
In my comparison it is brighter than a Quark CR123 R2 (Same as a Quark AA using 14500).

My disappointment had nothing to do with comparing it to a 2xcr123 light I only used that as a example because my Infilux is about the same brightness as my PD30 Q5 and it's around 190-200 lumens. I do expect it to be in the ball park of other light's that advertise ~260 lumens no matter what or how many battery's it has and that's all I'm trying to say.

So you tested it against the Quark AA with 14500, now we have something in common to explore. I just checked it again against the Quark AA and it's very easy to see the Quark is brighter, now not by a long shot but it is obvious on a ceiling bounce. Seems yours may be brighter than mine and maybe that explains it a little.

stoli67

Enlightened
Thanks for all your comments. I was rather keen on the Infilux but perhaps I will try to stop my order and change to either an E1B or an RA clicky.

From the looks of things the RA with 140 lumens and GT wide beam would be my preference..... the 170 is available though! I have not seen the 200 lumen on the website recently....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Ra clicky. You have an LX2 and the Ra clicky would serve you very well. If power is what you are lookin for then the 170 is the way to go. It puts out more light than my 80 lumens E1B. I have the 100 lumen high CRI, 140 lumen guaranteed tint and 170 lumen tactical and my favorite is still the 100 lumen high CRI for it's superb rendition of colors.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have ordered the RA Clicky 100 as power is not really the issue with this one.... I look forward to its arrival...

stoli67

Enlightened
OK I got a little excited and also ordered the Surefire E1B from batteryjunction.com. Thay have written back saying that they cannot ship any surefire products outside of the US.

I have read other people have had surefire torched sent over here.

Anyone know who will ship over here to Australia??

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't bother. Surefire remains very strict about protecting their distributors world wide. I recall some time back that they had distributed a "warning" letter to all their US dealers not to ship out of the US, and anyone caught doing so would instantly loose their rights to Surefire dealership.

stallion2

Enlightened
its a restriction imposed by ITAR...Surefire has special exemption to export but securing that for their dealers would be a silly. Surefire's site has some contact info on locating international dealers. you already have an LX2 so the E1B shouldn't be that tough. regardless, you're best off w/ the Ra Clicky. i EDC'd my LX2 until i had an Ra and i don't see that ever changing. from what i understand the E1B is mostly just a smaller version of the the LX2. my 170 is way brighter than my Lumapower Incendio V3 (~225 or 250 lm rated). Henry seems to rate output on a scale similar to what you would see from Surefire.

i've never really been that big on single cell lights but the Ra is awesome...and not just that, it's pretty much my favorite light. you'll love it.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have ordered a 100 CRI ..... Do you think that is a mistake and a 170 would be better as a first choice..... I was hoping that by getting the 100 that in the future I could get a 200lm when they become more available!

Reimball

Newly Enlightened
I have a E1L and the TIR makes a nice beam for the lumens. The down side is a very harsh transition between the hot spot and the spill. A few weeks ago I got a 170 clicky and have been very happy. The transition between the hot spot and the spill is a seamless transition which results in a much more useful beam pattern in my opinion. The EB1 was on the must have list but after getting the clicky I had to jump ship and put in for a high CRI twisty. Having the more efficient LED sold me on the 170 out of the gate, all of the good reviews of the high CRI made me want to go for the guilt free lumens of the 18650 twisty for the next one. Thus HDS/RA gets my vote.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered a 100 CRI ..... Do you think that is a mistake and a 170 would be better as a first choice..... I was hoping that by getting the 100 that in the future I could get a 200lm when they become more available!

You made the right choice. Between the high CRI and 170 tactical I have, I prefer the high CRI not only for the nicer rendition of colors but also the nicer flood that makes it a much more useful EDC light. I find myself using the high CRI 90% of the time compared to the 170 which I reserved only for throw.