Help picking out a light and batts.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, I need some help. I have spent the last week searching the forum, ebay and DX for a complete light setup(light, batteries, and charger) and it has done nothing but confuse me even more. What im looking for is a light with 3-5 modes(200-250 max lumens), multiple battery options(RCR123a's and 18650's or AA and 14500 ect), and under $30(i will be buying several for the home, trucks, and work). Along with the lights i will need batteries as well as a charger or two. What are the recommended battery sizes(18650's, 14500's, 10440's ect) and maker as well as reasonable priced and recommended charger? Are any of the single cell chargers worth a hoot? Realistically, the chargers should have the ability to charge from a standard US plug as well as a 12v source.

Thanks for your time and mods if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it to the correct one.

cistallus

Enlightened
Not sure what size light you want - ignoring any KD/DX stuff (ask in budget forum about those), not too many at that price.

Most are small single cell, like the iTP A1, iTP A2, and iTP A3 - all are 3-mode and are quite bright on LiIon (even though not recommended because they get hot fast on high); but you could use Eneloop in A2 or A3 for rechargeable with not quite so much output. Maratac AA or AAA are similar. So are Quark Mini AA and 123 but they are just beyond your $30 threshold (but have hidden blinky modes).

For a larger light, iTP A4 is right about $30 but takes 17670 instead of 18650 (or you could use 2 16340). Solarforce combos might be close to your limit or just above it.

There are a number of Romisen lights in this price range but they are 2 mode (or 1).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Eagletac T100C2, it's a very good bang for the buck type light and throws really well. You can get the Eagletac 18650 batterys and Ultrafire WF-139 charger as well to go along with the light. If you are going to be buying several I would suggest you get at least one in the neutral tint.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26971.html

joe1512

Enlightened
Pretty sure eagletac isnt gonna be 30 bucks or less.

The budget offerings at Deal Extreme and Kaliedo main are not very reliable and you have NO customer service to speak of. Id recommend an online shop that people here like. You can browse to find some of the reputable ones.

Heres the deal:

If you go with RCR123s, 14500s, or 18650s, you WILL pay more for batteries than the light!
A charger is 15 bucks. Ultrafire WF139 is the one I have.
A decent quality 18650 or RCR123 is close to 10 for a protected (i.e. safe) battery. AW is recommended by most here, but at least get a Protected circuit one. Even so, some batteries have Flat Tops vs the nubs so not all 18650s fit! That causes extra complication.

Hence, I would recommend a light that uses AAs because you likely already have an AA charger. If you dont, you can get one cheap and use rechargables around the house, whereas 18650 chargers are pretty much useless.

With AAs, you can get an 1xAA or 2xAA light depending on your preferred form factor. You could even get a Big Boy 6xAA itp A6 Polestar someday (72 bucks tho!)

The battery of choice is the Sanyo Eneloop which is easy to get from Amazon. It even comes in packs with passable chargers included. I think a 4 pack+charger is 17 bucks. Look for free shipping.

Oh yeah, AA NiMH batteries dont usually blow up, unlike Lithium Ions which require more care. Not Blowing Up = Bonus!

Romisen is a good company that makes budget lights. itp would be recommended for keychain-style lights but I dont think you are interested in these. Their normal offerings are good as are 4sevens and fenix, but they are 40 bucks each and up. Thats kind of over-budget.

So, here are some of my picks. I like shiningbeam for their customized romisens and customer support.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-212/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-R4/Detail
Uses 2xAA, OR can use cheap CR123 lights for smaller size. This one uses the latest emitter for solid output. Not sure about modes though. In CR123 mode, it is very small and portable if you are carrying around.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II-Q5/Detail
Can run this with 3xAAAs or 2xCR123s. Its an adjustable throw to flood light. Good for close up work since it has no glaring hotspot (changing tire), but also good for seeing or signaling long distances. Strobe, high, and low modes.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-149/Romisen-RC-dsh-G2-II-Cree/Detail
Pretty standard 1xAA light.

If you want a light that you can always have with you, a good keychain choice is the itp A3. 3modes, twisty that wont come on accidently, 80 lumen max. Nice beam.
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main...id=255&zenid=2a29c5ddef0955d175369b9a17434e8f

All these options are around 20 bucks each, +/- 5 bucks. Get a small box of CR123s online for a buck each if you decide to get any of those options. At the store they can be 4 bucks each!!

Last edited:

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
As it sits i have 2 Fenix P3d's(1 or both are the Q5 version, cant remember off the top of my head), a Streamlight scorpion LED, and a few other 123A powered lights. One of the P3D's is acting up for some reason or another. I have cleaned all the contacts but its still a crap shoot weather it turns on when you click the switch. I have havent tried new batteries but the ones that are in it showed the correct voltage when i put them in and it has seen very little use since then(less than 2 months).

Price is somewhat flexable, if a decent light is $28 and a better light is $35 then no big thing but if we are talking $28 for a decent light and $60 for a better light, thats a no go. As for battery choice, the reason i was thinking of going with the higher voltage LiIon was that they would be for the lights only. This would prevent scavging of the AA/AAA's i have for other items. Keeping the lights at a resonable price means i can spend a little more on better cells to power them.

As for size, i like the size of the P3D's so that would be a min size. Max size would be say a double cell 18650 light. These will be strickly for around the house and in the trucks, not carry lights so size isnt that big of an issue. That being said i dont want something as large as a Streamlight Lite Box. Think fitting in the glove box or arm rest in the trucks, the house doesnt really matter.

Going back to the battery issue. I'm guessing that a light designed to run on both 18650's and 123a's will have better run time on the 6v provided by the 123a's instead of the 3.7v provided by the 18650's, would this be correct or am i off base here? I would assume(yes, i know what happens when you assume) that this results would hold true for the AA/14500 and AAA/10440's as well. My thinking is to run the high voltage cells in the lights and carry standard cells for back up while the main cell is charging(the reason i would like a 12v charger as well as 120). Or have one backup cell charged at all times(not on the charger all the time just charged) and have a few of the standard cells as standby.

hope this makes sense.

PerttiK

Enlightened
Actually many of the 2 x cr123 lights may have better runtimes with 18650, because they might not start as bright and when voltage goes low enough they go to direct drive, giving a long tail of diminishing light.
ITP A4 loaded with primaries would be a good stash light, with not too many moving and possibly malfunctioning parts.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
Actually many of the 2 x cr123 lights may have better runtimes with 18650, because they might not start as bright and when voltage goes low enough they go to direct drive, giving a long tail of diminishing light.
ITP A4 loaded with primaries would be a good stash light, with not too many moving and possibly malfunctioning parts.

ITP makes some interesting lights. I'm liking the C6T(for its battery options and light output) but im not liking it for its grip design. I also like the C10R but its lack of battery options are a hold back. Of course another problem with both those lights are they are discontinued. Do you have any ITP lights? How do you like the 2 button design(tail on/off side for mode)?

notsofast

Enlightened
ITP makes some interesting lights. I'm liking the C6T(for its battery options and light output) but im not liking it for its grip design. I also like the C10R but its lack of battery options are a hold back. Of course another problem with both those lights are they are discontinued. Do you have any ITP lights? How do you like the 2 button design(tail on/off side for mode)?

I bought an ITP SA1. It is a well built light that functions flawlessly. Doesn't feel like a cheap light.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think i have found my first light to try. Going to order a couple of the Ultrafire C3 P4 Stainless lights with a couple 14500 cells and a charger. This will just be a start. They are a little smaller than what i was origanally looking for but they ranked high here on CPF and offer me the option to use standard AA's, my sanyo eneloops, as well as the 14500's i will order. I also have a couple of lights on my wish list since my Bday is coming up as of course Xmas. I want to thank you guys for your help. Now to figure out which cells and charger to buy.

Latest posts