Suggest a light for night time warehouse use.

Grog

Enlightened
I have a new job, security in an old warehouse that is likely 400' by 1000'. The most used end of the building has recently been updated with ceiling hung CFLs (27w/100 equivalent) that light up the entire area very well. The rest of the building has quite a few super dark areas, very dark.

I've been using a 3AA LED Maglite in one hand for general lighting and an Egaltac 295 lumen light for brighter ID of things.

I'm looking to kick things up a bit and want suggestions for a light that would give me loads of flood as it's very easy to get tunnel vision.

Option #1
I have tons of Eneloops, so if I could get a light (or piece one together easily) that could hold AAs and I could fit a floody LED (maybe a P7). Legnth is not an issue, if it happens to be the same diameter as an ASP baton, well that would not be a completely bad thing (my first unarmed job in 13 years).

Option #2
Streamlight Flood LED Lightbox. Yes, it's big and heavy and not a defensice use light (unless I throw it). But I'm an old fireman at heart and it's good to see a classic brought up to date.

Option #3 Let me know what you suggest.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see. You can get an iTP A6 Polestar for $80 that puts out 700 lumens on high. You can get a high end Fenix light like a TK40, TK45 or if you invest in lithium ion cells, a TK30. Then you have the option of getting a Surefire 6P or other similar light and upgrading the drop-in to a high powered l.e.d. such as an Ultrafire SST-50 l.e.d. drop-in (450 lumens out the front for $60) or a Nailbender SST-90 l.e.d. drop-in (800 lumens for $135). Then there are other lights such as the Olight M21 Warrior SST-50 light (500 lumens for $120) and the Olight M30 Triton Cree MC-E light (700 lumens for $140) as well as the Olight M31 Triton SST-50 light (800 lumens for $200). There are many lights such as these flooding the market. For security work, make sure you get a decent quality light that won't fail the first time you drop it. If you need anything brighter than an MC-E or SST-50 light, you might get more bang for your buck going with a 35 watt H.I.D. spotlight. If this is the case, I'd suggest a Titanium Innovations L35 35 watt H.I.D. spotlight (3500 lumens, $300, sold at batteryjunction.com, and most importantly, it weighs less than 3 lbs. A light with a lithium ion battery is worth the extra expense when you are in pursuit of an assailant and the alternative is lugging around light with a lead brick for a battery.)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any 3 cell P60 host (G3/9p) with an M60F...light weight, compact, yet can literally light up a medium size warehouse. Plus, you can move it up to an R/C set-up super easy with out have buy too much else.

Kraid

Enlightened
Well, if a "baton" light is desired, nothing beats a Mag still. Maybe with a P7 or MC-E drop-in?

Grog

Enlightened
My main concern is ruggedness and a flood beam. I've got pretty good throw but I want to see everything in my immediate area, not as concerned with what is 400 feet away.

As for chasing someone, it's not that type of job and I'm not as "strapped" as I used to be so if they leave, I'm happy. If I had a SL Lightbox, I know how to drop it if needed since I already have three real lights on me at work :D

I would prefer a C Maglite because of the diameter, but I know a D Maglite lets me use a 3AA/1D adapter so I would be able to run 6-12 AAs. I'm wondering just what I can do to get a really floody Maglight

Yes, I spell it Maglite, not m@glite :duh2:

I've also thought of a Leek/Five Mega style tube running a 3 x 18650 (would be my first one) so I could get some legnth. I have also thought about a Malkoff flood drop in for my Brinkman Maxfire rechargeable (running 3x123s and a spacer to replace the 4x2/3A pack). I'm just not sure how floody that would be plus he rarely has anything in stock.

Another thought is picking up a Magcharger locally (if any Harbor Freight has them) and doing something LED related later. I had a pre-order on a Blaster Ng, but that's a ten month old pit of dispair right now.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is something you should consider before buying a new light - RUNTIME ON HIGH.
You need enough runtime for a full shift. CPFers need maybe 1 hour to walk the dog. Most only need enough light to get to their car in a blackout away from home.

Most lights sold nowadays are maxed out for brightness at the expense of runtime. A lot run 50 minutes before you need a battery change. "But the light runs for weeks in moonlight mode" just does not work since you can not see 400 feet in moonlight mode.

Fenix TK40 8AA
Turbo - 630 Lumens, 2 Hour
Low - 13 Lumens, 150 Hours
Medium - 93 Lumens, 20 Hours
High - 277 Lumens, 6.8 Hours

Fenix TK45 8AA
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/278434

ITP A6 Polestar 6AA
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/252484
Lesser price and quality than the Fenix. I once mentioned it, the OP bought it but got a dud, so I am reluctant to recommend it.

SUNWAYLED M40A 4AA
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/286498
New product. The advantage is the control ring. Twist ant it goes from off to low (15 lumens good for 10 ft. rooms) to medium (150 lumens 5 hours about 3X brightness of your minimag, 0.5X your eagletac) to high (500 lumens 1 hour). It is probably easier to NOT go to high than the Fenix TK40 (1st click is turbo). Still a good idea to carry a spare set of batteries and a pocket light to do any battery changes.

Consider some of the latest 2AA lights with the XP-G LED. The XP-G provides a more floody wider hotspot but throws less than the older XR-E LED.
For example the EagleTac P20A2 Mark II measures 88 in selfbuilt's lightbox and throws 64 meters (209 ft).
Various Eagletac 2*CR123A lights measures 76 to 108 in selfbuilt's lightbox and throws 75 to 107 meters (246 to 351 ft).
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/272036

Here is Selfbuilt's 2xAA Round-up Review if you want to look at 2AA lights further:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890

Most of todays high powered flashlights use 18650 batteries. Even CR123A do not have the oomph to drive them.

Also consider replacing your minimag with the latest 2D MagLED. Serial# DL#### (NOT D####). Roughly 2X as bright but focussed tightly to 147M 482 ft using 1 lux (equivalent to selfbuilt's throw numbers). Mag uses ANSI numbers (equivalent to a full moon).

EDIT
The problem with 3D Mags is the difficulty of finding a charger for 3 D NiMH cells. Most charge 2 or 4. Alkaline will NOT power the P7/MCE/SSC50 to full brightness.
Elektrolumens built me a 3C P7 Mag. He is not offering them on his website any more but you can always ask in his subforum over at CPFMP. He may just have enough parts lying around to build another one.
Malkoff makes a XP-G drop in for a 3D Mag. Good luck on getting one. He is always sold out.

EDIT2
LEDs run at 3.25 to 3.75V depending on Vf. Add a buck driver and you need 4-5V. 6-12AAs will give you 7.2 to 14.4V more than enough to smoke something.
If Elektrolumens will build you a 3C/3D P7/MCE Mag, ask him to use one of his 20 mm BOOM reflectors. You will get a floody beam like this:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2393810&postcount=96
I would prefer a C Maglite because of the diameter, but I know a D Maglite lets me use a 3AA/1D adapter so I would be able to run 6-12 AAs. I'm wondering just what I can do to get a really floody Maglight

I had a pre-order on a Blaster Ng, but that's a ten month old pit of dispair right now.

EDIT3
Forgot about this.
Budget Showerhead Mag Drop-in.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277748
Supposed to work with C Mags as well as D Mags.
Works from 2 cells to 6 cells.

Last edited:

Grog

Enlightened
There is something you should consider before buying a new light - RUNTIME ON HIGH.

I have. I've done security work for 13 years, just a new job in a new state. I already have my EagleTac T10LC2 on my belt along with a Brinkmann Maxfire in my pocket along with the 3 AA LED MiniMag. I have the Mag because I have 12 of them plus around 60 Eneloops, so it seems a shame to let all of them sit at home :D

I found that showhead drop-in after starting this thread, will keep check for when they have more avaiable.

If I end up with a AA powered light (either a storebought one, a custom assembled one or a Mag with a FM AA-D adapter) I won't worry about making it through an entire shift since I can swap batteries mid-shift (plus charge them at work to be ready for the next night).

Consider some of the latest 2AA lights with the XP-G LED. The XP-G provides a more floody wider hotspot but throws less than the older XR-E LED.

For example the EagleTac P20A2 Mark II measures 88 in selfbuilt's lightbox and throws 64 meters (209 ft).

Ok, good info for me since I'm somewhat out of it when it comes to knowing which LEDs are floddy vs throwers. My EagleTac seems constructed well enough.

Also consider replacing your minimag with the latest 2D MagLED. Serial# DL#### (NOT D####). Roughly 2X as bright but focussed tightly to 147M 482 ft using 1 lux (equivalent to selfbuilt's throw numbers). Mag uses ANSI numbers (equivalent to a full moon).

I have one, kept it near the front door of the house. The stepson used it to find a remote control he lost and now the Maglite is with the remote, nowhere to be found. I was hoping to find it so I could give it a workout.

So far my vote is an AA powered floody EagleTac with a 4C/4D Maglite with that showerhead drop-in.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shower head drop in you speak of is called the Fusion36, a pure flood monster from all accounts using it you will lose the Mag's spot-to-flood focus ability...

Alternatively the "P7 mod" suggested earlier in the thread would be a perfect balance of throw (distance), flood (because it retains the Mag's focus ability) and output 700~900Lm, you'll either need to collect the components yourself OR purchase a pre-modified Mag' :thumbsup:

FWIW my favourite "patrol light" is my Mag' 3D (with DD P7 mod) I can't recommend it more highly :twak: :D

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an LDF-UCL lens for your Mag D or C? It's around $6 IIRC, and converts a Mag into a beautiful directed flood light. Easy to install and remove. Depending on which model, there are also diffusion lenses available for Eagletac lights as well. I'm a fan.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without doubt , the Showerhead in a Maglite body.

I have one in a 2C body and I use two 18500 Li-Ion batteries to power it ... If I had a 2D Maglite , I would use two "3AA to D" convertors which would be six AA batteries in total ... If you have a lot of AA Eneloops , this is the way to go.

The showerhead has a great floody beam.

And it's still a Maglite !

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you already have so many AA Eneloop batteries, I'd suggest either a Fenix TK40 or a TK45. Both produce a very bright and floody beam pattern that are great for lighting up wide areas. The TK45 is brighter and floodier than the TK40 but it doesn't throw as far. The TK45 also has a much lower low mode compared to that of the TK40.

I can't suggest other high powered AA lights like the ITP A6 Polestar and the Sunway M40A only because I have never used either of them. When it comes to high powered AA lights, I have only used the Fenix TK40 and TK45, both of which I own and enjoy very much.

If you're into modifications, you might want to make the same Maglite that I did. My goal was to put the power of a 6 D Maglite into a much smaller and easier to live with 2 D Maglite. I bought a silver 2 D cell Maglite, a FiveMega 6 AA to 2 D cell battery holder, a UCL lens, and a Terralux TLE-300M-EX LED drop-in. The TLE-300M-EX is very bright and floody. It is actually brighter than my TK40 when both were measured by Bigchelis with his sphere. It produces what was best described by a fellow CPF member as a "wall of light." It is not a pretty beam pattern though because it uses optics to focus the light from each of the three XR-E LEDs into a square shape, like what happens with an aspherical lens. When you combine three of those square beam patterns together, you get the star shaped beam of the TLE-300M-EX.

The beam pattern of the TLE-300M-EX doesn't look good by any stretch of the imagination when pointed on a white wall indoors close up, but when outdoors or in any other large area like in a warehouse, the star shape is not noticeable at all.

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Grog, i just bought the SL E-spot litebox to replace an incan I had. i can tell you the E-spot has plenty of spill and one heck of a spot beam. I have a incan Power-outage flood model which is great, can only imagine how bright the E-Flood is.

Streamlight did a good upgrade on them even at low power the E-spot is twice as bright and more than twice the runtime, hard to beat for the money.

I have heard SL is making an LED upgrade for the incan litebox (non-powerfailure model only) and so far only E-spot. price around $50. Nice lite head for making your own lantern and battery pack.

Standing on a roof with this thing on high, all I need is a soundtrack of a Jet Ranger to lite people up like LAPD:devil:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest either the fusion 36 drop in when they go on sale again, it's all flood. I still want one. Or for aa batteries I've heard about the (ROP) mod for a maglite 2D, were you use 6 AA batteries, a new reflector and glass with a pelican bulb ( 1100 lumens )

Grog

Enlightened
I actually saw an ITP A6 at Frys the other day for $90. Came home today to check the price online, ewwww what a markup.

I'll keep my eyes on a new fusion 36 drop in popping up, might send the seller a note tomorrow to see if they have any that are not listed. I could use one for my current 2C Mag and a longer one for work.

Thanks....

MannyDLights

Newly Enlightened
My Suggestion,

I'm using a Ultrafire MC-E-1000L ..... Light, nylon holster, WF139 charger and 2 Ultrafire 18650 3000 mAh run time over 1.5 hour on constant full power ...... This is a magnificent thrower ! and great flood ! Not heavy and looks greeeat.

From 150 feet away I can light up the hotel I patrol all the way up to the top ceiling antenna !!!!!!! Forgot to mention hotel has 25 floors !

I paid total price all included $90.00 you will not be disappointed with this light ...... :naughty:

From many ultrafire lights I own this is a keeper I will never surrender it . Make sure it has the 5 cree LED and yes it is a TRUE 1,000 lumens and measured from 1 meter over 22,000 LUX

Here is a Boar Hunter describing his 1,000L that he mounts on a Bow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKMkM21jF8

makapuu

Enlightened
If you're into modifications, you might want to make the same Maglite that I did. My goal was to put the power of a 6 D Maglite into a much smaller and easier to live with 2 D Maglite. I bought a silver 2 D cell Maglite, a FiveMega 6 AA to 2 D cell battery holder, a UCL lens, and a Terralux TLE-300M-EX LED drop-in. The TLE-300M-EX is very bright and floody. It is actually brighter than my TK40 when both were measured by Bigchelis with his sphere. It produces what was best described by a fellow CPF member as a "wall of light." It is not a pretty beam pattern though because it uses optics to focus the light from each of the three XR-E LEDs into a square shape, like what happens with an aspherical lens. When you combine three of those square beam patterns together, you get the star shaped beam of the TLE-300M-EX.

The beam pattern of the TLE-300M-EX doesn't look good by any stretch of the imagination when pointed on a white wall indoors close up, but when outdoors or in any other large area like in a warehouse, the star shape is not noticeable at all.

I absolutely agree with Locoboy with his recomendation of the Terralux.
I have the exact Mag - battery combination he has, and it rocks.
The warehouse I used to work in was about 65,000 square feet.
When I worked early in the morning at about 3:00 AM, it was pitch black, I couldn't even see my hand placed inches away from my face.
When I shined the light toward the far wall of the building, (About 350 feet away) it made a spot that covered about 2/3 the entire wall.
By the way, I have the old 600 lumen version, I think the current model has 700. As he has mentioned, the beam on a white wall isn't pretty. But when taken outside, it lights up large sections of what your looking at.

Last edited: