Removing XR-E dome+ring increased throw and gave a warmer tint

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to install a XR-E R2 in my maglite with the rebel reflector, and while trying to get rid of the donut effect(which is possible as I eventually got a perfect, flawless beam) I accidentally knocked the dome off of the LED. At first it would not properly focus and I thought I would have to replace the LED, but I then went ahead and removed the metal ring and excess silicone which held the dome in place. Once I did this the beam color turned to a white, almost a very faint yellow, and the beam became even narrower. The beam is not as artifact free as before, but outdoors it is not apparent at all. I like this beam color much better and the light throws even further now. I compared it to another R2( ez900 die also) I had with the same bin tint and the other one almost seemed blue. I will try to post pics of the build later as I built it for less than $15( plus an additional $16 for the mag) in parts utilizing a ground-down 1" socket as a heat sink and the LED part( led, driver, and brass piece) of dx sku 11836. I had the socket, and some pvc pipe which I used to make a 2x18650 tube laying around so I really only paid for the p60 drop-in and some arctic alumina thermal adhesive.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
When you say the LED increases throw, are you saying that the LED itself throws more, or that the LED floods more light into the reflector, and results in more throw?

LED throw means that less light reflects off the relflector and results in more flood. More LED flood means more light reflects off the reflector and throws into a narrower beam.

Iv'e heard of similar cases where people have accidentally lost the dome and got possitive results, but overall it results in a loss of lumens. And this normally occurs in SST-50's and SST-90's.

Heres a thread of refference.

Pöbel

Enlightened
loss of lumens but more throw because of decreased effective die size because there is no lens magnifying the die.

Happened to me too, but tint got greenish pretty fast.

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I was referring to the reflector and LED combo now being able to project further. Also, could you please explain why this causes lumen loss, as I also saw this in another thread and was curious to the mechanism behind the occurrence.
Thanks