HELP!! I broke my LGI!!

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gifWell actually an in-duh-vidual I work with did. I showed it to him and he went to tightening the head down to turn it off thinking it worked like a mini mag and popped the bulb. Right before the bulb got busted he said "Wow thats bright!" Now what do I do? How hard would it be to replace the LS? Do any of you guys have a black market Flashlight Repair Shop? lol Any help would be appreciated!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
To replace the LS is easy. THe hard part is to do it clean. :grinn:

Just remove the wires on the leads (remove, not cut!) and then use plier to remove the LS. Clean up the epoxy on the heatsink and you are ready to put a new and (hopefully) better LS. Apply a small glob of thermal epoxy at the base of the emitter and just put it straight on top of the heatsink. Make sure it is as centered as possible (centering is no problem for LD, but it is a PITA in HD). Apply constant (small) pressure, just enough to keep the LS intact of the heatsink and wait until the epoxy dried out.
then connect the wires to the leads and make sure no leads touch the heatsink or it may go bye bye.

DrGwat

Newly Enlightened
Same thing just happened to my LGI yesterday. No final words of amazement though, as I simply discovered its LED dome and lens both shattered. My fault for leaving it among strangers. Someone isn't fessing up, or perhaps doesn't realize the damage they caused. When I discovered it, the LED still worked for a short time with debris removed.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
that's why I glued the head to the body. looks a bit dirty, but prevents this horrible death.
bernhard

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is why LGI comes with the warning: the optic is at its tightest position and further tightening might result in crashing your lux. Well, at least that is what i remember.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
Make whoever broke it pay for a premium LS to replace the old one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, don't forget to add labor fee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
Where is a good place to get a new LS? Should I look for high vf or low vf, and what about the bin codes? All these questions!! I was looking at the sandwhich shop and it looks like I can get it for under $20, but how many of these am I gonna break!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
For original buyers I will repair mods at my actual cost, including replacement of the Luxeon (provided I have them on hand), plus return shipping. No labor fees.

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
Unforunately, I am not the original buyer. Some CPFer was trying to raise money for his church, so I bought a used one for $50 instead of paying the very small couple of extra bucks to get a new one that you had quoted me! If you are still willing to fix it I will gladly send it to you, just email me and let me know how much and what not. Thanks.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Bible,

I had no idea whether you were the original buyer or not so I apologize if it appeared I was baiting or anything, I assure you I was not -- and web handles are so very murky, nebulous and ambiguous, and there was no e-mail address in your profile. As well many lurkers e-mail me privately to buy mods and you could have very well been one of them.

Anyway, with limited Luxeon availability being what it is nowadays, I can only keep a few premium 1W batwings on hand and would rather reserve them for original buyers, but if you can locate a 1W batwing Luxeon adequate for your needs, send it to me with the broken LGI and I will be glad to swap it in for you, at just the cost of return postage.

Of course I can't be doing this for every person down the line who gets hold of a used mod, especially if it passes from a flashlight-knowledgeable Flashoholic to a "layperson"...

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
No offense at all!! I am sorry you took it that way. I was one who was looking to get one and I think I emailed you with a question or two. Anyhow, I am actually very interested in learning some of this stuff, so I may just go ahead and give a whack at it. If it is ok I may ask a question or two so I dont fry anything! Are the dat2zip LS's ok to use in this DD setup? I was also thinking about a Brinkman AA with a low Vf if I can find one. Thank you for your offer and if I screw anything up, I will probably be in need of just buying a new one. It is kind of an important light, it is my EDC work light!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Sure thing.
mayo.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Charlie, you da man!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Cheers.
bernie