Need Suggestions on Flashlights

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I need suggestions, opinions on flashlights. I am looking for a general purpose flashlight that is of high quality, long endurance (2 hours or more), that is easily carried and waterproof to at least 30 feet. I would like it to have a good quality of light and light output. It is a kind of light that you would grab without thinking in an emergency, knowing it will work and do the job.
Maybe some of these request don't go together, but maybe they do.
I did look at some of Brock's reviews. Would the UKE SL6 fit this or are there better?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Brock

Flashaholic
Hi, the SL-6 is a heavy light to be used on a regular basis, and it also has a pretty tight beam. Maybe you want that? Do you want to stick with regular batteries or would lithiums be ok?

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would like a beam that would be suitable for walking in the woods but also tight enough to be able to see what's up ahead. The batteries does not matter as long as they are readily available (no rarely heard of batteries).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Hi, the SL-6 is a heavy light to be used on a regular basis, and it also has a pretty tight beam. Maybe you want that? Do you want to stick with regular batteries or would lithiums be ok?

Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H2O resistance is kind of a stickler, but I would sugest a Pelican Prolite 4C: Dual filament bulb, 500Ft. submersable, takes 4 C size batts, but it isn't too large as to be combersome, etc. The beam is also focusing...

--dan

DaveH

Enlightened
I have a Pelican Prolight 4C, and a UKE SL-6. The pelican is easier to hold ( all cells in a stack), it's not as bright as the UKE by a good bit (but still bright), dual filament bulb, somewhat soft focus from a faceted reflector.

The SL-6 is heavier, brighter, and has a tighter beam. Prices are pretty close.

IMO, the pelican is easier to use because of it's traditional configuration. If you want more light, well then go with the other.

However, I imagine the pelican super sabrelight (3 c cells) would fit your requirements and save you $10 over the other two. I had a similar model and it was a pretty good deal.

DaveH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How does the super sabrelight compares in light ouput and concentration to the prolite 4C? Just trying to get a feel for these lights.

David

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I have both the lights. The Super Sabrelite has a much tighter beam and is at least as bright. At closer range the Pro 4C has more output, but at longer range the higher candle power of the tighter beam from the #2000C wins. The Pro 4C also has problems with its second filament when it comes to beam quality. Mine has two filaments of the same rating.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If it weren't for the H2O requirement, what would you have suggested?

How does the Prolite 4C compares?

Thanks,

David

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've got a Pelican ProLite 4C. It's the bulkiest flashlight I've got. It's now the backup-under-the-sink as the beam quality is poor, the focusing is dreadful, and it's not very white-light. I think it's down to the mottled dimples on the reflector. Other Pelicans have much better reflectors. I'd recommend a SuperSabreLite (3C). Anyone got a comparision with one of those Boison (sp?) flashlights?

Alastair

DaveH

Enlightened
I think they are called "Bison", anyway they have a halogen/xenon bi-pin bulb. My impressions is they are not constructed as well as the pelican products.

Just a guess though, I don't have one.

DaveH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Any opinions on the Streamlight products? Are they waterproof? If you have one, how does it stack up against the Super Saberlite 3C?

Thanks,

David

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David:
Any opinions on the Streamlight products? Are they waterproof? If you have one, how does it stack up against the Super Saberlite 3C?
David
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only extensive experience I have with the Streamlights is the Stinger (rechargeable), and some with the Scorpion (2 lithium). Both are good lights, water resistant, but I don't believe water proof. My Stinger is brighter than my Super Saberlite, and the focusable beam makes it a bit more usefull I think. For a longer run time Streamlight also makes the Super Stinger, same 15,000 CP as the Stinger, but it burns for about 1 3/4 hours on a full charge.
According to Streamlight the Pro Polymers are waterproof to 200 feet.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 09-23-2000).]