UCL Lenses

LukeK

Enlightened
Hello all,

I have one quick question.

Where might one purchase a UCL lens to replace my standard 6D Mag lens? Thank you!

LukeK

Enlightened
Thanks for the links guys.
So the 52.1mm from flashlightlens.com is the right size for a Mag?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an application guide on the website that tells you what size fits what. Yes, it's the right size. I've bought maybe 6 or 8 from Chris and I love the way they look. But honestly, 8% is impossible to see.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is indeed impossible to see the difference in light intensity. But looking through the lens into the reflector is a real treat (with the light off). It's hard to tell the lens is there. As implied by Wilkey, they give the flashlight an extra bit of class.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe,

Paul, you're right on. They do most effectively communicate one's "enthusiast" status.

Wilkey

LukeK

Enlightened
Ah yes the 'application chart' text, right there encased in a large form style button. I must be blind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Thanks guys for the information!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a thought. How scratch resistant are the UCL lenses? Especially with the coatings on them? Has anyone broken one yet?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
Just had a thought. How scratch resistant are the UCL lenses? Especially with the coatings on them? Has anyone broken one yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been wondering how durable the UCLs are.. Last weekend my 2D/6AA mod rolled off of the tailgate of my truck (slightly lifted 4x4) and landed on a hard clay surface. It made a loud "smack" but did not shatter. It did hit pretty hard for a drop of a tad less than 4 feet, so I'm happy it lived..

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I've tried to see the difference in brightness in the past between the UCL and polycarbonate. The easiest way is to point the light at a wall and then pass the polycarbonate lens in front of the UCL. You should see a noticeably darker area where the polycarb is.

Breakage & Durability - I've had a few people mention they've broken their lenses. I ended up sending them new ones. As far as scatch resistance - I was curious one time and took a screwdriver to a UCL. I was REALLy surprised by how durable the coating was. Anyone have any scratches out there yet? I'm interested in knowing how durable it is out in "the field."

Hardcoat Poly - I've got some hardcoat polycarbonate lenses on the way - should be here in about 3 weeks. This should prove to be a popular lens. The hardcoat is also chemical resistant and is supposed to be easier to clean. The specs on the coating claim it can handle 10 rubs of 0000 steel wool at 2PSI with no damage.

As always, feel free to email me with any questions.

RussH

Enlightened
I'm really pleased with the borosilicate lenses that I bought from you. I plan to buy some more. I'll wait until you get some of those hardcoat lenses, tho, I'll definitely want to try one.
I haven't managed to scratch the borosilicate yet. I did manage to break one, but that was definitely abuse & I wouldn't expect you to replace it. The stuff may be harder than steel - I've always found grit (sand, mainly) to be the problem. I can't bring myself to sacrifice one to some sandpaper or emory cloth to see how tough it is. I haven't broken one simply from a drop - but the biggest drop (with a minimag) has only been 4 feet - give me time.....
How high temperature wise can the LDF coating go on top of that Borosilicate lens? I'm thinking of using a 20 watt (maybe slightly higher depending on actual voltage) bulb once I finish modifying my Carley reflector. I've got the same question in regard to the hardcoat poly. I was planning to use the plain borosilicate lense but the diffusion would be nice. It won't hurt my feelings too much if it means I can't go much over 10 watts. Russ

Tweek

Enlightened
I did manage to break the UCL lens in my SNII about a month ago, it hit head-side first on a train rail... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I need to order me a new one one of these days... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, what is the stronger lens, the UCL or the borofloat? My lens break also (twice now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, one is mineral glass, the other is either UCL or borofloat that i bought from flashlightlens along with LX lens deal). I know that UCL is clearer than the boro, but is the boro stronger to make up for that?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shiftd, I think the Borofloat is supposed to be more durable than the UCL.. (I seem to recall reading that *somewhere*.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong Chris!

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
With the specs that I've been provided on my glass:
Borofloat is harder than the UCL. B270 is harder than Borofloat. The harder the lens gets, the more brittle it is. The Borofloat lens sits in the middle and represents a decent compromise. Plus, it's thermal shock resistance should be considered when rating it's durability. Of the three materials (two now with my UCL crisis), the B270 is the most scratch resistant, but will it break easier than Borofloat??? - Not sure. Anyone willing to conduct some fairly scientific experiments for me??

RussH - The LDF film should stand up to most flashlights. I ran some in a TL for quite a while without any signs of deformation or adhesive breakdown. PM me your address and I'll send out a sample of the material for you to look at.