Taint no justice in this world...(Light Story)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I'm going about my daily job, and as I'm walking through supply, I notice a girl and a guy messing with a flashlight...he was explaining to her how it worked...etc.

After a second, I thought "Why is he showing her how to use a flshlight...pretty simple really...":thinking:

So, that made me glance over at it, and it was a Kroma! How a supply troop got a Kroma (I KNOW she didn't buy it...she didn't even know how to use it...is beyond me). I was like "Hmmm, you don't see that everyday"

My task at hand, luckily, involved going back into their office, where the male service member was taking the batteries out, and even he looked kinda stunned...he did manage to get white light out of it though... :twothumbs

I quickly said "Nice light...Surefire Kroma Huh?"

He turned it around to see what it was called, cause he had no idea what I was refering too...:thumbsdow

"Umm...yeah, a Kroma Mil-Spec"...:eek:

I was quick "Yeah, that's a nice light (wish I had one)...it costs about $425..." The girl was like "No way...wow"...

She'd be just as happy with a $5 LED from Wallyworld to tell ya the truth...

I didn't hang around to explain to the older NCO or girl how to operate it, as I believe it would have fallen on deaf ears...

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say she left it on the IR setting and ran the battery down...Neither of them apparently knew about the IR setting...so, it'll happen again, and a Kroma Milspec will be lost to the virgin flashlight gods...probably misplaced becasue it's "Just a flashlight"...

Would it be wrong to offer her a trade for a flashlight she could actually use in exchange for the "Kroma Milspec" that, in her eyes, is just a flashlight???

I want a Kroma Mil-Spec...:mecry:

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Should have traded a DX for it :p

We sold flashlights at the gunshop I used to work at and lots of active duty and veterans would come in and praise surefire but wasn't really sure which model surefire they used.
Can't expect someone to be a flashaholic just because they use fancy things :shrug:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drop a hint with them that you're interested in that light if they ever decide to get rid of it. Why? Because, if they leave it on the IR setting and it drains those expensive batteries down then they'll probably return it as defective or throw it away (!!!). Depends on how long it takes for them to decide to check it again. If the company paid for it then I'm sure that they will have no problem with trashing it if it is perceived to be bad and out of warranty. I'm pretty sure that they don't even know what the warranty on that thing is.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
"Surefire Kroma? Awful fifty dollar light, you can see how difficult it is to operate. I'll trade you this awesome digital camo Mag for it.."

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Surefire Kroma? Awful fifty dollar light, you can see how difficult it is to operate. I'll trade you this awesome digital camo Mag for it.."

LOL, Starhalo...well, since she now knows it's a $425 light (stupid AOW...stupid), I might have to swap another Surefire....to convince her it's worth it... I do have a tan G2 collecting dust...:devil:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drop a hint with them that you're interested in that light if they ever decide to get rid of it. Why? Because, if they leave it on the IR setting and it drains those expensive batteries down then they'll probably return it as defective or throw it away (!!!).

Hmmm...a well placed subtle hint...

"Hey, can I see that light you were messing with the other day?"

"Yeah, sure...one sec..."

And then she'll ask one or two questions and I'll have to playthe light itself down, meanwhile going into the history of Surefire and all there good lights, etc.so she knows I'm an afficando for sure...

"Well, I collect flashlights, as crazy as that may sound, so If ya wanna get rid of it for a couple of bucks, lemme know"

Think that would work???

Imon

Enlightened
Hmmm...a well placed subtle hint...

"Hey, can I see that light you were messing with the other day?"

"Yeah, sure...one sec..."

And then she'll ask one or two questions and I'll have to playthe light itself down, meanwhile going into the history of Surefire and all there good lights, etc.so she knows I'm an afficando for sure...

"Well, I collect flashlights, as crazy as that may sound, so If ya wanna get rid of it for a couple of bucks, lemme know"

Think that would work???

You already told them it was worth a lot of money.
Probably won't work. Although a trade might ....:sssh:
People are impressed by high output lights - since the Kroma isn't really a "high output" light show them a cheap but bright light and convince them it's the greatest thing in the world.:devil:
.... or not, I wouldn't be able to make a dishonest trade...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Would it be wrong to offer her a trade for a flashlight she could actually use in exchange for the "Kroma Milspec" that, in her eyes, is just a flashlight???

Look at it this way . . . You'd be saving the Kroma from someone who doesn't appreciate it. Go for it!

jchoo

Enlightened
Offer a U2 for trade - dead simple and it seems like what she wanted the Kroma to do anyway (twist the dial to change brightness - I'd venture the color switching messed her up)... plus it is a higher value light, and looks similar to the Kroma, so she'd probably be more open to the trade vs. a "cheap plastic" G2.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing is more aggravating than a highly desirable object in the hands of someone that does not value it. Us classic car collectors see it *way* too often when a spouse or child inherits an "old piece of junk" car or truck and wants to trade it for a shiny new Mustang. :p

I'd say trade for that Kroma and rescue it from a terrible life of boredom and unappreciation.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be nice to her, give 'er something that she will use, perhaps a Jet III M broad voltage in exchange for the Kroma and if your conscience still pricks away at you, give 'er a box of 50 CR123s from 4sevenss ($79 before discount).

A VERY fair trade i would say (in your favour of course)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offer a U2 for trade - dead simple and it seems like what she wanted the Kroma to do anyway (twist the dial to change brightness - I'd venture the color switching messed her up)... plus it is a higher value light, and looks similar to the Kroma, so she'd probably be more open to the trade vs. a "cheap plastic" G2.

I was actually contemplating that VERY HARD his morning...I can repalce my U2 for $120...

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at it this way . . . You'd be saving the Kroma from someone who doesn't appreciate it. Go for it!

Nothing is more aggravating than a highly desirable object in the hands of someone that does not value it.

That's what bothers me so much about it...and why I had to post this story...call it "venting"...

I'd give my left...er...foot(?) for a mil-spec Kroma...and to her, it's just a "cool light" that she doesn't know how to use. The wheels are beginningto turn...now I just have to figure out how to "sell" a trade for my U2...and if that fails, just offer her $100 CASH???

But yer right...the thought of that light "exploding" cause they put crappy uneven cells in it, or it being "dropped", and thrown away because "it doesn't work anymore"...or "ooops, I left my flashlight at the laundry...oh well..." is too much to bear...

Last edited:

Xacto

Enlightened
[....]

I have one and judging from your story, you should definately do something to get this light in the right hands. I would ask her what typ of light she needs (throw, spill, high lumens, low lumens) and find a suitable trade.

Nothing beats a Kroma Milspec on "green" when checking your 13month old boys sleep. :D

Cheers
Thorsten

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Find out what she is into and make a trade. May need to include some kind of flaslight also, but if you can offer something that she really likes then she will be more motivated. A straight flashlight for flashlight trade may not create any incentive for her. It can be a win/win trade for both of you, even if it's not monetarily equal.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I agree with Let It Bleed. Trades don't have to be exactly equal in regards to money. As long as both sides are happy for their own reasons, it can be beneficial. I would not try to 'stick' her, rather tell her that you would like to have that light and realize she may not want to bother with the complicated UI. You can always say, "hey, this doesn't cost near as much as your Kroma, but I think you will find it much easier to use (don't be condescending, just show how much better it may be for her intended use). They are both excellent lights, would you be willing to trade if I throw in a box of batteries for this one?"

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips all...off to try my luck...

Remember AOW...don't be condescending...I'll report back momentarily...

Wish me luck...

z17813

Newly Enlightened
I would ask her what typ of light she needs (throw, spill, high lumens, low lumens) and find a suitable trade.

Sounds like that might be giving the young lady too much credit. I would go with the look how bright and shiny this is plus here are a bunch of batteries approach.