Multi SST Work in Progress -Completed with 6P host!

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit - light complete. Scroll down...

Got plenty of hosts , no LEDs.
First job might as well be the heatsink. Having no lathe, I used a hacksaw, belt sander , drill press, plenty of gritty paper etc and managed to make some reasonable sinks. 1st one turned out OK so made a 2nd better one and added a 3mm copper top.

Aluminium top was 12mm plate and the base is 32mm round so it won't contact the mag tube. Top will sit on the shelf as per download multisink for heat transfer to the body.

I'm pretty confident with the copper version - when shaping the copper on the belt sander it would become too hot to touch in seconds. So I bolted the bottom disc to the copper and then I was able to sand continuously.

The aluminium disc is a loose fit in the mag head but the copper disc is tight enough that it won't go in all my mag heads.

If you are wondering how I'm gunna fit everything under the lens , planning to use an extended bezel (old style Fivemega 2 inch deep reflector) so I'll have plenty of room.

Results are better than I hoped for so another slim version with 2 layers of 3mm copper top (and aluminium base) will be similar dimension to Download multisink but obviously better sink performance with copper.

_MG_5242-1.jpg

_MG_5252.jpg

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
Re: Multi SST Work in Progress

Nice work, going for a 3x SST-50? or -90?

What are your plans for attaching the LEDs to the heatsink, using the stars, or are you going to be milling on the copper plate to make recesses for the wires?

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Planning on stars - although I can always attempt some recesses on some spare copper and see how much of a mess I make...

SST50 or 90? Probably both sooner or later.

Maybe SST50 with stars , make some recesses and cover my mess somehow for the 90s and mount bare emitters.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heatsinks will be perfect for 3 x Triple XPG 20mm boards too....

Hill

Enlightened

Nice heatsink!!

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I caught a bug , been a bit sick (cue the violins) but I have come back to this project.
I have fine tuned my drill press techniques - made a few more sinks , saving a bit of time and nicer finish.

Having plenty of time to ponder , I have finally decided on the details of my triple build. It will be called the 356.
3 x Luminous 50 LEDs and the 6 is for the body. Mag 6D? Mag 6C? M6?

Anyway , back to the build in progress.

Trial fit 3 x 50s with Boom reflectors in Mag C head:

_MG_5294.jpg

_MG_5298.jpg

And now for the host. I think this is a first:

_MG_5299.jpg

_MG_5302.jpg

I had this idea a long time ago , finally got around to making it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237215

It's a MagC head Surefire C compatible due to having a shortened Solarforce head rammed up it and JB welded in . Bit of a pain as the Solarforce head had ribs near the hex , so I had to carefully file those down without scratching the hex area which would be showing. Other than that simple job.

Seeing as I don't have a P60 dropin taking up space , this is how 2 AW IMR16340s and 1 ultrafire 16340 fit (only have 2 IMRs)

_MG_5303.jpg

Leaves me a few mm to build a small board for +ve contact , just gotta work out a -ve contact plan and the 356 will be done.

3 x IMR16340 direct driving 3 Luminous 50s - I'll definitely be using a twisty.

Any comments welcome.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Complete!
I finished the light last week , only had 2 cells so had to order from AW.

Unusual for me , everything went much better than expected , until fitting the boom reflectors. I'm sure many know , once leads soldered to the stars , difficult to fit the reflectors. Lots of time spent aligning the LEDs all wasted. Plan is to fit alternate reflectors or optics , booms were cheap and available.

An unexpected result was the primary and or 2 cell performance.
With 3 cheap generic brand CR123s measurements at tailcap showed about 280mA resulting in a very warm and soft floody beam. Actually as much light as needed for arounf the house 99% of the time.
With 2 IMR16340s and a dummy cell , I measured about 100mA. Still quite useable. Not the most economical way to achieve 50-100 lumens or so ,
just added versatility.

Anyway , charged 3 IMR cells and was surprised to see initial tailcap measurement of 5.6A. This drops to around 4A after 15 seconds. My eyes / brain do not see this. I'm very satisfied with that - I was not expecting the IMR16340s to deliver that much current.

Some pics:

Complete light , FM bezel , Surefire rubber grip , 6P body and a twisty.
Just 2 IMR16340s installed for this pic:

_MG_5359-1.jpg

-ve contact: 3mm screw through heatsink tapped into mag head.
_MG_5341-1.jpg

LEDs and reflectors before soldering:
_MG_5357-1cr.jpg

_MG_5306.jpg

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks awesome! And before anyone else asks...

Where are the beamshots!?!?

I will post some , but I have seen a few SS50 / boom beamshot pics on CPF so nothing new. I've only had the cells for an hour or so, and it's midday here in Oz....

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for comments.

I took some beamshots although can't really call this a beam:

_MG_5788.jpg

_MG_5789.jpg

_MG_5790.jpg

Using an ultra wide angle lens to show how much spill:

_MG_5796.jpg

_MG_5797.jpg

_MG_5798.jpg

_MG_5799.jpg

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received FM 3 x 26500 body. Tried with IMR26500 cells. Steady 5.6A at tailcap but with tailcap fitted LEDs went blue almost instantly. Obviously multimeter higher resistance than tailcap.
Tried 3 x AW C cells - about 5.2A at tailcap but did not seem to shift any more blue with tailcap on.

_MG_5860-1.jpg

_MG_5863-1.jpg

flashfiend

Enlightened
This is a great build. Awesome work. Have you seen one of Fivemega's M@gfire bodies? Would this mod be possible using that host?

FrankJ

Newly Enlightened
I love how you can see the heat sink and stars. Reminds me of a skeleton watch.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first 356 beamshot made me giggle. I love massive "wall-of-light" flooders.

Your light is brilliant. I call first dibs if you ever decide to sell it :)