Votes: 44 27.3%
  • Yes, two or more sets

Votes: 63 39.1%
  • I use a dynamo, solar, or shake

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Imon

Enlightened
The thread "Absolute worst place for a flashlight to die" got me thinking - there's a easy solution to that.... carry spare batteries. Then that got me to thinking - I wonder how many CPFers carry spares?

So I'm wondering how many of you guys carry spares on your person (not at work, in the car, etc), how many, and how do you carry them (in a fanny pack, pocket, battery carrier)?

As for me .... I don't carry any spares - I know a single cr123 is small and weighs next to nothing but I usually just don't have one on me.

Last edited:

daf3m

Enlightened
Each flashlight has at least an extra set stored next to him.My edc has 2 :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread "Absolute worst place for a flashlight to die" got me thinking - there's a easy solution to that.... carry spare batteries. Then that got me to thinking - I wonder how many CPFers carry spares?

So I'm wondering how many of you guys carry spares on your person (not at work, in the car, etc), how many, and how do you carry them (in a fanny pack, pocket, battery carrier)?

As for me .... I don't carry any spares - I know a single cr123 is small and weighs next to nothing but I usually just don't have one on me.

I usually have 1 or 2 AA Eneloops in a pocket. I'm hoping for a slim waterproof container that holds 1 or 2 batteries.

jupello

Enlightened
No. I only take spare batteries if I expect to be using the light so much that batteries might run out. Usually I do have backup light(s) with me tho.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry spare cells, but I often have multiple lights with me that use the same cell.

All of my lights have at least one mode that will get 10+ hours out of a single cell, so I'm more worried about not having light because I damaged the light than I am about running out of juice...even in an emergency situation. That's why I carry multiple lights.

--flatline

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work, at the grocery store or around the house: no
If I go for a longer walk or will be gone for a while: yes

Between my keychain light, my pocket light and (if I'm outside doing things) my primary carry light, I've got lumens to last. :)

etherealshade

Enlightened
I don't carry spare cells unless I'm in unusual circumstances (travelling, camping, etc), but I've almost always got a spare torch on me, if not two.

workingmids

Newly Enlightened
No and yes... always a spare flashlight on me, batteries and another spare in my work, vehicle, trail, bike, etc... bags. The best carrier is a spare light. Two is one, one is none philosophy.

Roger999

Enlightened
4X CR123A primaries, 3 of them are for my G3 leaving 1 extra cell for my Quark 123.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Yes, in my usual EDC practice, the theory is that my backup E1B is also the spare battery USER once its own battery gave out; the backup battery HOLDER in that situation would be my E2DL. That way I could suck every battery absolutely flat. Then it would get dark.

Texas gun person

Newly Enlightened
I'll take spare batteries if I am expecting to use the light a lot. Activities like camping, hunting, and other similar things.

I also keep some extras in my car since I am in the thing so much during the day and night. As for on my person? I do not carry batteries around on me. I already have enough in my pockets. :eek:

computernut

Enlightened
It depends on where I'm going and how many lights I'm taking. If I'm going to have 4 lights on me I won't take any spares. If I'm going to have one or two and they are both incans I'd definitely take spare batteries. If I have at least one LED with a power-sipping low-mode I'll usually not bother with spares unless I'm planning on using an incan a lot and would rather swap batteries than use my backup light with an unsuitable beam.

Kraid

Enlightened
I thought about it, but then I decided, "Why carry a spare 18650 in a case on my keychain when I could just carry a Quark MiNi123?"

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry spare batteries on my person , but there are spare AA and AAA lithium primaries in the car plus all sorts of batteries at home.

I carry my house keys with an iTP A3 stainless attatched plus my car key with iTP A3 titanium attatched ... I also have an EDC iTP A2 clipped into a jacket pocket ... Based on this , I don't need any spare batteries in my pockets.

I keep a Romisen RC-U4 loaded with three AAA Lithium primaries in the car door pocket plus a Trustfire F20 with lithium AA in the car glove box.

So , no shortage of torches or batteries.

I think that the best way to carry batteries is in cheap (up to $5) torches ... If you have more money than me , carry your spare cells in better quality torches.

jchoo

Enlightened
I carry a Tools Aviation spare carrier with 4 cells in it (either CR123 or AA), so I always have either 2 or 4 sets of replacements.

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
Normally I carry just my Quark AAx2 regular, if the lsd's NiMH batteries go dead I charge them in my car with a energizer 15 minute charger or at home with my duracell 15 minute charger.

At work I carry a 3D malkoff or 4C fusion 36 modded maglite; I also have a 123x2 Quark Turbo (Maelstrom G5 on backorder :D ). I carry 4 123s in a countycomm acu-grey plastic holder, which I put in a black padded case on my belt.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
My minimal carry (pants) on spare batteries:

2 x CR123
4 x 14500
2 x 10440
4 x 18650

Additional ones in Quark bodies lego collection (jacket):

2 x AA Lithium
3 x CR123

MiniLux

Imon

Enlightened
My minimal carry (pants) on spare batteries:

2 x CR123
4 x 14500
2 x 10440
4 x 18650

Additional ones in Quark bodies lego collection (jacket):

2 x AA Lithium
3 x CR123

MiniLux

:eek:oo:
wow.....
you could provide light for months if you had the right flashlights!