Quick PM6 switch fix

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This fix applies to the o-ring exposure problem when using the standard LOTC. It's so simple that others have probably thought of it though I've never seen it posted.

Simply snip off some of the lamp spring. That's it. I started conservatively and ended up removing at least half of the spring which permitted me to fully lock out the light plus almost a full additional cc turn without any o-ring exposure. The only down side I can think of is less shock relief for bulb and batteries, though I don't know if that will make any real world difference.

I personally prefer a LOTC to a clickie on Surefires as well as the PM6 because I find the "combat grip" very natural, and palm pressure will not engage the clickie's steady-on (click) position. The aggressive knurling of SF and PM6 accommodates this grip even without a "combat finger ring", though I'm sure that isn't the correct term.

BTW, wear eye protection when snipping the spring. It's quite thick and shoots from the wire cutter with surprising force.

Brightnorm

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
BN,

Good deal! Wonder why nobody ever posted about this before? Also Roy posted elsewhere that his switch assembly was not screwed into the tailcap all the way when he received his, so in addition to the too-long spring this could be compounding the problem.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For what it's worth, an engineer at Pelican told me that the "short skirt" exposed O-ring was fixed a while ago. From what I can gather, there have been a few variations and tweaks done to the PM6 already.

- Don

revbnc

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm, MR. Bulk

Just snipped it off and also tightened the tail cap, after unscrewing it all the away to see how it worked, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and viola. A whole new flashlight. This works great and is an easy fix. I snipped off about 1/3 and mine worked great.

Thanks again,
Brad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Hmmm. I must have newer ones like Don says, because none of mine are showing that particular problem. I do have my OWN spring-snipping secret that I'll share in another thread though... (hint: it is the OTHER spring, and is only interesting to people who've done the McModule mod)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
"OTHER" spring? I don't get it, and I've done fifty McModules...
stupid.gif

Yes, he's with me.