If you could have only ONE Quark....

dov717

Newly Enlightened
Hello newbie here, I would like to buy ONE flashlight to replace my old mini-mag. I am sold on the AA Quarks but am confused as to whether i should go one AA or two, tactical or not, warm, neutral, etc. I would greatly appreciate a little gudance. Thanks!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a few quarks, and quark minis, and my favorite is the 123-2 Tactical in neutral tint (i think i would like the warm tint more, but i have enough quarks):eek:

if you want 2xAA, the quark AA-2 is one of the best.
for 1xAA, i would go with something else over the quark AA. also, if you want a neutral or warm quark AA you will have to get an extra body.

actually how about buying either the neutral or warm quark AA-2, and a single AA body. then you can have both.

the neutral/warm tints have less lumens, but render much better, and just looks more natural, especially for outdoor enviornments

tactical or regular interface is up to you, i like tactical because its more simple. and i dislike cycling through modes. reprogramming a mode on the tactical only takes about 20 seconds. but if you use max, and moonlight most, regular makes alot of sense. i have my tactical set to max, and medium, with regular reverse clicky for tailstanding.

theres a really great thread that breaks down all the quark models, and the different combinations you can do with them, breaks down all types of battery options, runtimes, brightness, beam patterns. just a great thread. i cant remember the title, but if you do a search im sure you can find it.

OCD

Enlightened
DANG skyfire! You beat me too it!!

Tactical vs. regular and warm vs. neutral are probably the toughest choices IMHO. As for 1xAA vs 2xAA etc., this is were quarks shine. You can buy which ever one you like best, say 2xAA and then buy just the battery tubes if you decide you want to make it 1xAA, 1xCR123 or 1x18650.

If you get the 2xCR123, it is a higher voltage head and won't work with the single battery tubes.

Which ever combination you decide, you won't be disappointed and will wonder how you ever got by with a minimag!

Anyway....welcome dov717!:welcome:

Last edited:

timbo114

Enlightened
theres a really great thread that breaks down all the quark models, and the different combinations you can do with them, breaks down all types of battery options, runtimes, brightness, beam patterns. just a great thread. i cant remember the title, but if you do a search im sure you can find it.

HERE

And I have a few Quarks also .... my fav is my Quark 123²T NW XP-E Q35A w/18650 tube

Larbo

Enlightened
Of all the Quarks I have my Reg Ti123 with a AA body and a AW14500 battery is my favorite.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Having only one Quark, I'll have to stick with my Mini123 R5. Nice wide beam, great low mode, tailstands, stupid small, great wall of light from such a small size. I'm thus far impressed by the 4 7's.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I actually have only one Quark . . . Titanium Mini CR123 model.

I love it! :thumbsup:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Believe it or not, I actually can't get enough of my Turbo 2xAA (warm tint) with a tailstanding tailcap. Couple that with one of my favorite floody lights, the Quark RGB (which already tailstands) and I'm a pretty happy camper. The perfect RGB, though, would be one with a preon UI, like the MiNis . . . darn 4sevens for giving us so many options.

If I can only bring along one Quark, I'd have to have my 2xAA Ti tactical (don't really like the non tactical UI). It fits in my hand so nicely. If you like good color rendering, send one away to get a high CRI LED installed into it . . . I had one done by Tekno_Cowboy and it's one of my favorite general use lights. Most of the time, I'd still rather carry a couple of dedicated throwers, flooders, etc. . .

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti AA which is my favorite light and I run it with an 14500. That thing is wicked bright for it's size AND, has a super low mode that so far has been tested running at over 240 hours straight by one of our members (on an eneloop).

You can of course get it in regular metal for much less.

I love this light!

vvs

Newly Enlightened
Warm 123^2 tactical with AW 17670. Perfect wide beam, medium mode enough for EDC tasks, perfect size, fit on my left pocket clipped and harpy serrated in right pocket :devil:. ~20 hours runtime on medium.

For EDC there will be more suitable something thinner and smaller like preon/a3, but there's nothing small enough with such beatiful UI like tac-quark has and with forward button and comes with clip. Ra lights has 25mm head diameter, which is thick for pocket carry for my pants.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I love my AA Quark Regular. Just the right size, AA batteries that are easy to find, and all the modes I need. The same light in Ti is even better!

But I do love my AA Quark Neutral Regular too. If only they made it in Ti, I'd love it.

The Quark CR123 is just a bit too small for me. I prefer it as a lanyard light. I find the AA a better size for my purposes. Not too big, not to small.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have every original size Quark combination there is (aside from AAx2, which I have no desire to have.) Includes XP-E, XP-G, Cool and neutral emitters, tactical tails and heads, regular tails and heads, 123, AA, 123x2, 18650, etc. The lego possibilities can keep you busy playing for days. No Ti, though, as they just never seemed worth extra money for my interest and apparently they tend to gall. Some folks do like them, though.

That said, if I could only have ONE as a general purpose light, including pocket-light/EDC use, my choice would be a AA, neutral tint, XP-G R4, tactical.

Not too big, not too small, virtually universal powering source size running on 14500 li-ion, AA-size NiMH, AA-size Eneloop, AA-size lithium primary, and the lowly-but-ubiquitous AA alkaline. Simple and programmable two modes with easy and comfortable to use momentary forward clicky.

Add a standard tailcap if you want tailstanding. Add other bodies and heads as you become sucked into the Quark world of flashlight lego. :devil:

That said, I love the 123x2 neutral XP-G R4 tactical running on a 17670. I only use li-ion to power my Quarks, unless I'm far from home and have to temporarily use other options. The 123 is another favorite... well, you get the point by now, right? :whistle:

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
my vote goes to my Quark AA Tactical. in neutral tint. always with me in holster. programmed to low and high.

if you really need to carry it everywhere with you as your only light (suit and shorts etc slimline clothing) then maybe i might vote for the preon, mini or the preon revo because of their smaller size.

but as everyday light (jeans etc) i go with single cell AA tactical model for its bigger battery and runtime. easy to use. easy to loan to people who know nothing about lights. easy enough to reprogram if you need something else. small enough to carry but big enough to actually hold and use. (it really gets fiddly to work with 1aaa for longer time)

but the quarks lego body is good thing. it gives you a chance to buy a spare body for other battery types and needs. (it really is more comfortable to use a 2AA body when taking a long walk outside.. you can use the underhand grip more comfortably)

thats why i have different styles of lights for different tasks.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low voltage (0.9-4.5v) tactical modded with an xpg r4 5b with a AA body. Excellent wtshtf set-up. Great for outdoor use.
Tactical is a good UI. Personally I still prefer the JetBeam IBS (3 pre-set modes). The quark tactical is good though. Think ahead and for what you'll want later (if you're not a planner get the regular UI) and get used to re-programming it with the lens covered, you'll always have imediate access to what you want (I reprogram bezel tight depending on ambient light, usually moonlight/medium or turbo/med)

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're used to Mini-mag size. Since the Quark AA clip has the whole tailcap out of your pocket, it's a bit less stable. Go with the AA^2. If you like a bit more throw, grab an R2 at CPFMP; if you don't much mind the newer XP-G quarks will wow you. Don't forget the CPF8 8% off discount at 4sevens.com.