Mag 3D mod

01xtreme

Newly Enlightened
I have a mag 3D light that was given to me by a friend when a battery ruptured inside it, and I have been sitting with this case in my room doing nothing, so I am wondering is it possible for me to build this light from the ground up? It is completely hollow, so I would need everything, right down to the switch. Do I have any options, or should I just toss it and buy a working mag to mod?

Thanks ahead of time, and I apologize for any noob-ness I may have brought with this thread.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Tons of options here. You need to decide if you want, LED or Incan and also what kind of output/runtime you are looking to achieve. Possibilities are endless.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
If this would be your first flashlight modification (witch I assume it is) I would not start from the "ground up". you can still use the stock switch assembly and reflector for many different mods.

First things first, as Mrartillery mentioned, you need to decide whether you want to use Incandescent (incan) bulbs or LED's.
In a nut shell, incans are the king of lumens and reflector-throw, but the laughing stock of runtime and duty cycles. LED's are more efficient and give you a longer runtime, and provide a brighter flood when used with a reflector.

I personally would recomend using a P7 LED, as it has been done probably thousonds of times before in a Maglite, it doesn't have to require a driver/regulator or expensive lithium ion batteries (although you could still do that). Here is an excelent thorough tutorial on it. If you do decide to go through with the project, post pictures!

Oh, and :welcome:

Last edited:

01xtreme

Newly Enlightened
the light is already hollowed it, t was the only way to remove the ruptured battery.

01xtreme

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for extremely bright light, with a lot of throw. As for run time, if it can run a solid 30-45 minutes I'll be happy. This is going to be my "big" light, hopefully, and I will keep in in my BOB in the back of my truck. I've never modded a flashlight before, but I am experienced with machining parts to fit, as soldering, wiring and pretty much anything to do with electronics...I've just never used these skill sets for this particular reason.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Sounds like a FM 1909 bulb with 3 IMR 26650's would be perfect for you then. Close to a 45min runtime and about 2000 bulb lumens. Paired up with one of FM's bi-focal reflectors you will have a light that throws beautifully!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a FM 1909 bulb with 3 IMR 26650's would be perfect for you then. Close to a 45min runtime and about 2000 bulb lumens. Paired up with one of FM's bi-focal reflectors you will have a light that throws beautifully!
those are good bulbs, but where do you buy one now???? sales thread is closed.
1185 will give you around 1500lm, not bad
btw i have deep reflector and bifocal, deep is better, a lot better, with 1185 at least

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a mag 3D light that was given to me by a friend when a battery ruptured inside it, and I have been sitting with this case in my room doing nothing, so I am wondering is it possible for me to build this light from the ground up? It is completely hollow, so I would need everything, right down to the switch. Do I have any options, or should I just toss it and buy a working mag to mod?​

Thanks ahead of time, and I apologize for any noob-ness I may have brought with this thread.​

toss it, buying all the parts will cost more than new mag,
as for modding, like it was said before tons of options, from easy, cheap, simple, (but still bright) mr 16, to more complicated, expensive hid mod.
all depends on how much you wanna spend total, including batteries and charger(anything half serious will require rechargeable cells, alkaline can't supply enough current)
and what is your goal, throw far, or flood a football field with light.
let us know that and we will recommend you something.

01xtreme

Newly Enlightened
toss it, buying all the parts will cost more than new mag,
as for modding, like it was said before tons of options, from easy, cheap, simple, (but still bright) mr 16, to more complicated, expensive hid mod.
all depends on how much you wanna spend total, including batteries and charger(anything half serious will require rechargeable cells, alkaline can't supply enough current)
and what is your goal, throw far, or flood a football field with light.
let us know that and we will recommend you something.

on you continuum I would say flood a football field, I have no need to illuminate farther than that

01xtreme

Newly Enlightened
on you continuum I would say flood a football field, I have no need to illuminate farther than that

as for price, I would say 100 ish for parts. this isnt something I need done right now, so i can just accumulate parts until I get everything, so price can deviate above the 100 range.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like a fairly easy conversion, could I just buy a different switch and mod it to fit the standard switch hole on a mag? And what kind of batteries would you suggest for that setup?
you need to mod stock mag switch. momentary mode, and use a\b driver,

for 3d stock (unbored tube) 4x26500,
or quade bore it, about $60, and get 12AA holder,
for 4d stock 12AA, or 4x26650<this one will run the longest.

Latest posts