Which would you buy if you were in my position???

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
I have recently gotten into flashlights this year and while I have learned A LOT from CPF, I still need your opinion on this one.

Here are the flashlights I own so far:
2 4sevens AA^2 one CW and one NW
Olight M21
Nitecore EX10
Jetbeam E3S
Download's Pocket Rocket 6th run

This is probably a very small collection compared to you guys :thumbsup:, but as you can tell, all the lights I own are more floody( is that a word:confused:). I am looking for a good flashlight that can throw a beam really far, but still have a good amount of side spill. I am looking to run 2 18650's in it, size doesn't matter, and looking for it to be under $200.

red02

Enlightened
Its not really a great time for throwers. The best thrower: DEFT FTP is no longer being made. The XRE-R2s are being phased out in favor of the more floody XP-* LEDs. The SST-50 with a 100deg emission angle seems like next successor to the XRE but few lights actually drive it hard enough to get the most out of it.

I have standardized on AAs so my knowledge of Li-Ion based lights is somewhat lacking. However, before picking up my DBS I did consider the RRT-1 and the Tiablo A10. The thing that kept me away from better throwers is that the DBS is modular.

These threads should help:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/278772
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260659

Keep in mind that when you see lux readings that they are all relative as different meters will get different results from the same lights. Its even possible that the same meter may favor or be calibrated such that it will be more sensitive to some LEDs more than others. Not trying to be a nihilist here, just something to consider when comparing lights on lux value.

Try to get a good idea of how far you need to reach and work off that, there are just too many options with a question like 'I want throw'.

jblackwood

Enlightened
With a budget like that you could just make a cheap maglite mod with a smooth reflector that puts out 1000+ lumens.

Be careful of statements like this too. If you want a thrower, lumen output is the least of your concern (the DEFTs almost all are rated around 200 lumens, for example, and they smoke any other LED out there as far as throw goes). Imon's suggestion of a smooth reflector is a good one, but you want surface brightness, as I'm sure red02's links discuss.

The economy being the way it is, you might be able to talk some of us DEFT owners out of one. :nana: Why not post a WTB (want to buy) thread in the Custom B/S/T section? It can't hurt. The DBS isn't a bad suggestion either. I've read that you can load those suckers with an SST engine. I have an extender for my DBSs and I've run both four RCR123's and two 18650's, depending on the engine, in it. Like red02 said, you can always switch out pills later when the latest and greatest comes out. Personally, I have two DBS lights, one is loaded for flood (MC-E) and one is loaded with the best throwing pill to be made for it (XR-E, R2, single mode). One with an Aspheric lens (kind of like the DEFT) and the other with a traditional reflector. I haven't bothered with the SST yet because I read that its surface brightness is lower that the XR-E . . . I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong (I've been itching to get a new pill for my DBS!).

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a good flashlight that can throw a beam really far, but still have a good amount of side spill. I am looking to run 2 18650's in it, size doesn't matter, and looking for it to be under $200.

Thrunite Catapult V2 sounds like what you're after.

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
You haven't got any fenix yet....
so i'll suggest Fenix TK30 with 630 lumens output.

red02

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273178
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258183

some more links on surface brightness.

Generally more surface brightness = more throw = more power consumption = more heat = less surface brightness. Its really a balancing act. The newer SST50 or SST90 don't really have a advantage in efficiency, they sacrifice that for more surface area/brightness. Generally most thrower applications will call for the XRE-R2. Ideally you'll get an XRE in a smaller package which means same efficiency but more surface brightness (about 22%). The newer package is called the EZ900 which is 9mm^2 instead of 10mm^2 of the older EZ1000. The easiest way (so far) to check is to look for a copper accent on the edges of the die itself. Lots of info on this in the EZ900 thread.

Emission angle is also important and the XRE has a 90deg emission angle. The SST50 has a 100deg emission angle and the rest are >100 so they are not useful for thowers, generally.

My advice is to ask questions, search and read.