PT Tec 40 vs. PT Rage

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Hi again. I was reviewing my choice of bigger flashlight and have decided that maybe the PT Surge is too large and cumbersome for camping use. I am looking into the PT Tec 40 and PT Rage. How do these two stack up against each other? The Rage seems to be a lot brighter than the Tec40 and it runs on the same batteries as the Attitude. Any input guys?

paulr

Flashaholic
The specs on PT's web site have to be wrong, the PT40 is brighter than the Rage by about 2x. That's not surprising since it uses about 2x the power.

IMO the PT40 is also on the heavy side for backpacking. I prefer the UKE 2L which is about half the weight and comparably bright (it uses two 123 lithiums instead of 4 aa's). For even more brightness, try something like a Surefire E2e or L4.

Why do you need that much brightness though? For most comping purposes, it's seemed to me that something like a PT Attitude is just fine.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
An odd comparison. The Tec40 allows using common PR lamps, such as 3 cell lamps with rechargeable NiMH cells for inexpensive daily use, as well as normal alkalines and AA lithiums that store for 10 years and work well in the cold. The Rage uses a custom lamp module, and there are no AAA lithiums yet. My Rage is darn bright, but the beam quality is not great. I think a Tec40 is a great camping light, but I would supplement it with a long running LED such as a PT Aurora headlight or Attitude. The Rage bulb module is swappable with the Attitude LED module, so some people like to take those 2 lights. And always carry spare incandescent lamps and batts.

Maybe buy both!

zyk

Newly Enlightened
In my pint of view, I like the flashlight which is small, not heavy and bright. I have both of them(rage and tec40),
if you need a bright flashlight, PT Tec40 is a good choice
(PT Tec40 is 2x brighter than rage). But if want a flashlight which is easy to carry, PT rage is a good choice.
Although Tec40 is brighter than Rage, but PT Rage still provide a bright light in dark environment.
For me, PT rage is my first choice!
Hope the above information can help you.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys. I went with the Tec40, seems like a great light. I'll let you know how I like it.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...if it's too late.

For what it's worth I really second the Rage/Attitude combination. The Attitude is bright enough that you'll use it most of the time. Use the Rage for a spare batteries carrier that also doubles as a pretty darn bright flashlight with (IMHO) a really nice beam. The only real downside to the Rage is only 1 hour of runtime. If you want to carry a spare bulb...just carry another Rage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They are that compact and light (especially compared with the Tec40)!

In full week of camping recently I never turned on the Rage even once; used the Attitude for everything.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a PT Attitude along with the Tec40 so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Sharp

Enlightened
I would have chosen PT Rage. It's brighter, smaller, and can switch head with Attitude. Plus, you can put some e2 Titanium and get that extra runtime from it. Too bad...

ikendu, same thing for me. The only thing is that I'd add an Impact II so you get:
Attitude's Runtime
Rage's Power
Impact II's runtime, power,intensity(for an L.E.D.)