Question: Quark AA vs Quark AA2

manosteel

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a Quark tactical light for my edc / bob / hiking bag.

Was wondering which everyone would recommend the AA or the AA2.

The AA will save on the weight however will have less lumens than the AA2.

Thanks for your opinions!

Imon

Enlightened
I think most people get too caught up in the race for higher output. Realistically I think most people would do fine with a flashlight that had an output of around 20-30 lumen but that doesn't stop us from buying high output lights :)

That said, I think you should get the Quark AA. I'm not really a fan of AA (I own a Quark 123^2) but I could imagine that the Quark AA^2 would be a bit long for EDC ... unless you use a holster or something.
Additionally, if you plan to put it in your bug out bag then it'll be useful for a survival situation since all you would need to do to replace the battery is to find a single AA instead of two.
Finally, for outdoors use the Quark AA is small and light enough and with a reversible clip you can clip it onto the brim of your hat as a headlamp.

so ... just a thought.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could get a 2AA and a 1AA body for $20. That's what I did. The heads are the same. It puts out 100 lumens on a single AA and 200 lumens on 2AA.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could get a 2AA and a 1AA body for $20. That's what I did. The heads are the same. It puts out 100 lumens on a single AA and 200 lumens on 2AA.

Yes you can do this if not I would go with the 1xAA, if you need longer runtime just carry some extra AA's.

It is just others opinion's though the only way to really find out which way you prefer to carry is experience with both, which leads back to getting a 2xAA tube.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got almost every Quark "part" you can get and duplicates... the one part I don't have I wouldn't want anyway... a 2xAA body. Just personal preference, but I like single cell lights much more than double... I even run a single 17670 in all of my 123x2 Quarks.

For me, the AAx2 light is too long and inconvenient. Can't pocket it well either. Certainly it will work just fine, but what's the point? And all you need is one cell to run a AA.. and that cell can be a 14500 li-ion, a NiMH, an Eneloop, a lithium primary, or just a plain old AA alkaline. Single AA light is my personal preference. Yours may differ.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both an AA-Tactical and AA2-Tactical. I'd recommend the AA, it's much more pocketable and very versatile. The AA2 is nice too but I only use it to leave in my car or go for walks where it's in my hand the whole time. That being said, it's pretty affordable to buy the AA and then add the AA2 body.

batmanacw

Enlightened
For carrying in the woods I would pick a single AA light hands down. Many folks do get caught up in the maximum over all lumens and are not realizing just how bright 100 lumens is at a camp site, or when you are working on your car. The excitement is over a number and not he usefulness of the light.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I own both and the AA would be my choice for carrying around. I in fact have one on my keychain. I think of it as my superpowered Gerber Infinity.

clipse

Enlightened
I have a quark tactical AA. It is great for hiking/camping. I plan on getting the 2aa body for more output but really its not needed.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me chime in my support for the AA. The only real advantage of the AA2 is the additional run time and max-mode brightness you get. Even the brightness becomes a non-issue if you run 14500's in it; they'll increase the brightness to the same level as the AA2, but with less run time of course.

I have a Quark AA2, and AA and 18650 bodies. While I cut my flashaholic teeth on Quarks, and now have a few Nitecore's, Jetbeams, etc. the one I keep coming back to for EDC use is the Quark. It IS a hassle to have to click through the useless disco modes (the only one I've EVER found useful is the strobe), it has a nice floody beam, is very lightweight if you run L91 primaries, small, and as previously mentioned, can be clipped on a hat as a headlamp. I also appreciate that it has enough built in mode settings that I know I'll be able to find an appropriate level pretty quickly. My IBS jetbeams have to be reprogrammed if I don't have a current setting appropriate to the amount of light I want for that situation, so the Quark lets me get light where I need it right there and then.

Go with the AA and expand from there if you want.

Last edited:

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
i have both,and are excellent lights.
do like the most replies here say.get a quark aa, and buy an aa2 body.
here are some quick pictures comparig both light´s sizes:

4948849112_936eb128e5.jpg

quark aa2, quark aa in titanium, and for size comparation a mini aa

4948259165_b7c782d4cd.jpg

i miss always pictures of lights lying on the palm.for me it´s the only way to get an approximation of the size.

4948849542_672a04eff4.jpg

and my beautiful quark aa in titanium.

hope it helps to make your mind.

manosteel

Newly Enlightened
Wow - Thank you again to CPF and the members for the detailed and quick responses. Much appreciated!

I will take the advice and start off by getting the AA version.

thanks! lovecpf

entoptics

Enlightened
The main drawback to the single AA quark is the pocket clip. It interferes with the head, and it's WAY too shallow when carried (i.e. 1/3 of the light sticks up past the the clip and hangs out of your pocket to get hooked on things and scratch stuff you rub up against).

Other than the clip, the AA is excellent. Plenty bright for 25 yds down the trail and a superb floody beam for up close work in bright conditions (engine work, computer cases, under the desk, etc).

The 2xAA Quark is also outstanding. One of the smallest 2AA format lights, and probably the only one I can think of that would be suitable for EDC, though it's a little long. It's considerably smaller than a 2xAA minimag.

My conclusion about your options?
If you want 2xAA go with the Quark AA2
If you want 1xAA I'd go with the NiteCore D11 or JetBeam BK135 (if the 135 is going to have a clip option). For me, the pocket clip really is a strike against the Quark AA and it just isn't bright enough, small enough, or ergonomic enough to really stand out in the 1xAA market unless you use 14500 Li-ion batteries (in which case it rocks).

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main drawback to the single AA quark is the pocket clip.

Unless you are like those of us who don't use the clips and remove them from the light anyway.

and it just isn't bright enough, small enough, or ergonomic enough to really stand out in the 1xAA market unless you use 14500 Li-ion batteries (in which case it rocks).

Ah li-ions... they rule in my household. All the Quarks, including the QAA on 14500 li-ion, rock on li-ion. ;)

Last edited:

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
Why not get the 123^1 Quark? Same length as the AA^1, and almost double the output at 205lm. It seems like the best of both worlds to me.

entoptics

Enlightened
I don't have any experience with the JetBeam lights, but based on the reviews, images, and specs, I think it would be similar to the Quark AA.

The Jet I Pro is a substantial 1xAA light (bigger than the Quark for sure), and the clip is centrally mounted like the Quarks. The JetBeam clip is S curved, so it's reversible on the fly (the Quark body has to be unscrewed and reversed).

Pocket clips are very much a personal preference, so keep in mind your intended use. Depending on the user, a clip can be more important than lumens and runtime. For some (myself included) deep carry is very important, for others, the "ball cap brim head lamp" is important, so a reversed clip is key. For others, no clip at all is best.

If you intend to carry the light clipped in a pants pocket day in and day out, I'd strongly recommend getting a head down pocket clip that's as close to the tail as possible.

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
Correction, it's actually 3.2" vs 3.8" for the AA. So smaller too. Or maybe you're wanting the flexibility of the AA format batterywise?

manosteel

Newly Enlightened
i am choosing AA version because if SHTF - it is easier to find AA batteries than other type of batteries, imho.