Modifying my PT Surge to accept Litium AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you fellow mates have any way to convert a PT Surge to accept Lit AA batteries?

Apparently the voltage for the Lit battery is too high relative to Alkaline and I have already blew one bulb away (Learn it the hard way)by fully loading the magazine with 8 batteries.

I discovered that the PT Surge can run on 4 batteries due to the parallel set-up.

Any suggestions would be helpful....Thanks

funk

Enlightened
you can run 4 lithium AA's - but no way to run 8 that I know of. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has furgured away.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 123s would be pushing the bulb. 50% chance it will blow the moment it turns on.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Any advantage to a mix...say, 6 Alkalines and two lith, or 4 & 4,? I'm assuming you'd have to equalize sides because of series/parallel configuration.

Brightnorm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read my post on a quickly failed experiment. Could have just been dumb luck, the bulb did have some useage on it.

Stefan

Enlightened
Either find another device to run the lithiums down to 1.5 volts (they start out at 1.8 volts) before using them, or run 7 lithiums and a dummy cell.

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the reply....

Would 4 AA Lits be an 'safe' alternative? Any expert care to share his expertise/experience? Funk have you tried out the 4 AA Lits set-up yourself...cost aside, I hate to blow another blub cos its next to impossible to get a replacement blub in Singapore within the next few months at least.

As far as I knew Lits run at 1.8V while Alkaline runs on 1.6V, Wouldn't that kinda blew the blub away? Or having only 4 Lits AA reduce the power(Wattage) to the bulb???

The set up is parallel and having 4 Batts on one side and 3 on the other would mean than the stronger side would be "charging" the 3 Batts to complete the circuit?????

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Is the Surge not bright enough or do you have too much money to spend on Lithiums?!?
wink.gif

If the surge takes 8 AAs in series/parallel, 4 Lithiums would be just as disasterous as 8.

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
Lets juz say that I have pretty good deal for Lits AA in Singapore('bout US$2 a piece) and the differences with Alka AA $$$('bout US$0.85 a piece) is not really that signifcant relative to performance.

Mainly I want to cut down on the weight of the flashlight and leave the batts in the flashlights for years without worrying about auto discharge that is common for Alka Batts.

It is still relatively a cheaper alternative to the 9P and E2 I am using at the moment('bout US$1.50 a piece for oni one hour)

Status
Not open for further replies.