help me broaden my selection

iacchus

Enlightened
I have become very fond of single cell CR123 lights. So far, I have a Ra clicky 170, an EX10 (R2, ramping), and a Quark 123 tactical.

I am fond of the form factor and the power density of those little cells.

Each light has its niche. The HDS is an obvious choice.
The EX10 was bought because I wanted to try out the piston setup, I wanted a ramping light, and they are supposedly fairly easy to upgrade the emitter.
The Quark 123 was titanium first and foremost. Also, I like the really low low and the somewhat floody beam profile. The little sucker is bright too. Then there is the whole lego aspect.

What I want is a few more of these little single cell 123 lights. What is some glaring options for me to pick up?

The Fenixes don't strike me as offering me anything else I don't already have,but I will likely pick one up at some point anyway. I do have a TK11 on the "to buy" list.

I like the Quark so much, I will likely buy the aluminum version in the regular 123 warm head (along with some lego parts).

A Muyshondt Nautilus is on my list, as well as the EZ123 ( I have a gorillapod I would like to use it with)

What others are must haves that I should be keeping my eyes peeled for on the marketplace? I don't really want to be too redundant (as in, I don't need a Novatac 'cause I have an HDS).
One thing I kinda want something that is all hotspot with great throw, but sized like the ones I have. Anybody make such a light?

Anyway, I was just home with the baby today and thought I would do some flashlight shopping. It would be great if you guys with more experience than me wouldn't mind throwing out some ideas and helping me brainstorm a bit.

Thanks!

Last edited:

etherealshade

Enlightened
As far as unique and versatile goes, you can't go wrong the H30/H31 Zebralights. They're not to be missed.

For a hotspot light with great throw, I hear good things about the Surefire E1B. The L1 should be similar, and has a very intuitive two stage tailcap UI.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
One thing I kinda want something that is all hotspot with great throw, but sized like the ones I have.

A big +1 for the SureFire L1 (my thread on it is here). It doesn't have crazy high output, but it does have good throw for its output - very very little spill. It's operation (tailcap UI) is tops IMO.

If you can wait, the updated (and long-awaited) LX1 may come out sometime this year. :shrug:

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you should check out a T1A. I think the size for pocket carry is just about perfect. The throw and brightness of the E1B is impressive too.

iacchus

Enlightened
Zebralights... I have been wanting to get one of these, but I've been waiting on the new model they have out.

Surefire, well, I haven't got any surefires yet. There are so many options I didn't know where to start. I really like the looks of the E series lights. The E1e and E2e have been calling my name for a while now.
The T1A looks like an awesome light, but for the cost I could get a couple of Executive elites.
The L1 surefires are awesome looking too. I suppose I need to jump in to the Surefire sea at some point. Thank god they are plentiful at the marketplace. The wife still makes fun of me for what I paid for my HDS. Another purchase of such amount might turn good natured ribbing into a serious talk about my little hobby (she doesn't seem to mind the money I have spent to put together lights from scratch. Maybe she prefers many small purchases to single big ones).

Okay. Zebralights and Surefire....check.

I have been looking at a few jetbeam lights. What models should I look to there (and avoid as well)? I have no real knowledge of them other than they seem somewhat popular.

Oh, and thanks for the input so far, everybody. As my list grows, so does my smile. Keep 'em coming!

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the T1A is expensive. You can find them on the MP sometimes for around $150. The E1e is a nice sized light, but the single mode incan bulb is not very versatile. I would recommend getting an led drop in from Kuku427 if you go that route. I haven't ever tried any Jetbeams except the M1X, which was an excellent light. A bit bigger than you are looking for though. ;)

cistallus

Enlightened
Give your Quark 123 Tactical a baby brother - the Quark Mini 123! Stick a 16340 in it and you have a wall of light. It's my keychain light. If nothing else, it's a handy way to carry a spare cell. :)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont have any experience with the McGizmo haiku, but i really would like to get my hands on one.

jetbeam's RRT-0 is very nice. I have the R2 version, love everything about the light except its beam (ringy, which i cant stand) and i perfer a warm tint. but i really love the selector ring.

my current EDC is a E1E with McTC Tail cap, McClicky switch, and veleno designs 2-mode neutral XP-G drop-in.
gedc0860.jpg

heres a pic with it next to my RRT-0. its shorter, just under 3.5 inches. same diameter. and very simple interface. high and low with a clicky.

sorry for the crappy pic.

iacchus

Enlightened
Think about a Peak Logan. Many optional configurations and easy to customize.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/279209

Thanks! wasn't aware of the Logan. Looks like a nice light.

Give your Quark 123 Tactical a baby brother - the Quark Mini 123! Stick a 16340 in it and you have a wall of light. It's my keychain light. If nothing else, it's a handy way to carry a spare cell. :)

I have a MiNi 123! It is a great light, and stays on my keychain.

i dont have any experience with the McGizmo haiku, but i really would like to get my hands on one.

jetbeam's RRT-0 is very nice. I have the R2 version, love everything about the light except its beam (ringy, which i cant stand) and i perfer a warm tint. but i really love the selector ring.

heres a pic with it next to my RRT-0. its shorter, just under 3.5 inches. same diameter. and very simple interface. high and low with a clicky.

sorry for the crappy pic.

Thanks for that crappy pic! It is very helpful. The RRT-0 is very tempting. Looks like a great light.

m3flies

Banned
Just received my E1B Surefire today, along with 24 free rayovac batteries from a certain dealer in the classified ads. Awesome hotspot and much brighter then the advertised 110 lumens. I also have a HDS 170t customized to 120 lumens on high. The surefire is brighter with a tighter spot, in my opinion. I've been playing with it outside for about an hour, comparing it to other lights I own. And I am just like, " WOW"