2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont have one but i love the crown vics there very nice rideing cars the model youre talking about i belive has like 235 ponies and the gas millage aint to bad

Banshee

Enlightened
I'm a bit biased by owning a 1995 Caprice 9C1(police sedan-related to the Impala SS)...But I hear the CV-Sport and Merc. Marauders are comfy but underpowered

They'd make a good "old-folks" car but for more spirited driving I'd avoid them.

Plus there's all those CV P71 Interceptors that go BOOM when rear ended !!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive got bored with sport cars.around here all it does is get ya pulled over.andthe police are good around here i still rather not being bothered .lately ive grown to like big comfy cars.that ya can fit a lot a freinds in with comfort.but it is underpowered thet realy need at least 300 hp in a car of that size.would be sweet if they put there v8 they used to use in the mark 8,s in it

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm in one 10+ hours a day...and...Between the electrical problems, engine problems and braking issues (probably more driver related)I'd avoid a CV as a personally owned vehicle. I'm not too fond of American cars, in general...

--dan

avusblue

Enlightened
Personally, this car is not my style, but I know it appeals to a certain segment, in addition to its main market as a cop car and taxicab. I know that Car&Driver was unimpressed. They were commenting on the Mercury Marauder version which is supposed to be more "sporty" than the Crown Vic -- yet it cannot keep up wiht plain-jane family sedans like Honda Accord and Nissan Altima, both of which do 0-60 in well under 7 seconds and have handling comparable to the European brands. And to be honest, having ridden in lots of Ford taxicabs I can say that it's really not all that roomy in the back, relative to the huge size of the car -- thanks to its inefficient non-independent rear suspension design, the interior really suffers due to the huge transmission and driveshaft tunnel infringing on the space.

Seems like a car in need of modernizing. If you're not in a hurry, I'd consider waiting to commit until you see the newly redesigned full sized sedans Chrysler is coming out with in spring 2004. They will be replacing the Intrepid, 300M, Concorde class cars with rear wheel drive cars that have modern architecture and share suspension platforms with the Mercedes E-class cars. V8s will be available. Sounds like they could be a knockout. Heres an excerpt from July 28th Automotive News:

Full-sized, rear-drive models

Adios, cab forward. The rear-drive 300C sedan concept represents the new styling direction for the Chrysler brand. The production car debuts for the 2005 model year.
It has been more than 15 years since Chrysler and Dodge fielded a line of high-volume, rear-wheel-drive cars. The last batch was sold primarily as police cars and taxis. Next year, the brands likely will offer four rwd models wearing new nameplates, and those cars will have a lot in common with the prestigious Mercedes E class.

The Chrysler group is gambling that with the improvements it has made in the traction and stability control of rwd cars, buyers in the Snow Belt won't miss the more sure-footed grip of front-wheel drive. It's a big bet since the most popular sedans in the country last year, the fwd Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, accounted for 833,125 sales combined.

The rwd replacements for the Chrysler Concorde and 300M and Dodge Intrepid sedans debut in the spring of 2004 as 2005 models. The full-sized models will wear fresh names to attract new buyers. Dodge also will offer a wagon. The company is expected to adopt the names featured this year on two concepts: the Dodge Magnum wagon and Chrysler 300C sedan. Those concepts closely resemble the production models.

The rwd cars signal how components will be shared among automakers. For example, the automatic transmission and electrical architectures will evolve from the Mercedes-Benz E class. Ditto for the design of the multilink rear suspension, although the Chrysler and Dodge versions will have different springs and shock absorbers than the E class.

If Chrysler stays true to the 300C concept, the production vehicle's wheelbase will be 7 inches longer than that of the 2004 300M, and the car will be 1 inch shorter.

The automaker also is working to differentiate more strongly a Chrysler's exterior and interior styling from that of a Dodge.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a 2003 or 2004, but I do own a 1987, and I love it. On its 20th birthday, I may replace it with at 2007 model.

Paul

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to take one of these and replace the engine with the supercharged DOHC 4.6 liter engine from the Mustang Cobra, and a good exhaust. That would be pretty sweet I think.