What USA made light to buy today?

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I can't take this any longer. I'm buying a light today. I don't have any specific needs...I just want a cool new light.

This is what I want:

• Made in the USA
  • Current LED technology
  • Something that can be easily upgraded over time
  • Flexible...different types of heads available
  • Simple High / Low UI, no need for strobes...
  • A company with very good service
  • Good value
How's the Malkoff MD2 with High/Low Switch, M61 head sound for $129?

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Dave

jellydonut

Enlightened
I don't know about anyone else better matching your requirements than Malkoff.

The light itself can be upgraded or just changed into something different with P60 modules, and you can buy Malkoff Hound Dog and Wildcat heads for it if you want something different/ludicrous.:devil:

I would definitely jump on the MD2 with the hi/lo switch before they run out again. But then I'm a fanboy and I already have three, plus the Hound Dog and Wildcat (and one on the way..:shakehead)

Coyote302

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the notification that the MD2 with switch was actually available. I just grabbed one and now I get to see what everyone is talking about regarding Malkoff.

Coyote302

Newly Enlightened
Regarding your original question, do any of the newer Peak offerings strike your fancy or do they miss certain requirements? I'm interested in the Logan with the 2X AA body or maybe the K2 or Pyrenees with the multi-level switch. Just wondering your thoughts.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The malkoff lights are supposed to be very good, I personally don't own any yet, although I will be correcting that sometime in the future.
Other suggestions would be a Ra light, or something from oveready

The RA lights aren't really easy to upgrade, but will work very well as a nice multilevel edc, that will probably look brand new when you pass it on to your grandkids.

My next purchase will probably be a malkoff module (m61w maybe) for my first 6p I bought (the gateway light to flashaholism) and either a second malkoff, or a SF p60l to sit in a spares carrier incase I need runtime instead of lumens from my edc (9p with moddoo triple)

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I bought one. I appreciate your help in making the decision.
It appears there's only one left...

Take care,
Dave

jellydonut

Enlightened
The malkoff lights are supposed to be very good, I personally don't own any yet, although I will be correcting that sometime in the future.
Other suggestions would be a Ra light, or something from oveready

The RA lights aren't really easy to upgrade, but will work very well as a nice multilevel edc, that will probably look brand new when you pass it on to your grandkids.

My next purchase will probably be a malkoff module (m61w maybe) for my first 6p I bought (the gateway light to flashaholism) and either a second malkoff, or a SF p60l to sit in a spares carrier incase I need runtime instead of lumens from my edc (9p with moddoo triple)
HDS does seem to get good press, but considering the emphasis on being 'advanced' and the multi-page manuals detailing the clicking voodoo needed to use the modes and programming and everything kinda goes against the OP's 'simple hi-low UI' point.:nana:

Anyway, good choice on the MD2. I don't actually have any of the hi-lo switches yet, just several on their way here. My experience with the hi-lo's comes from the Wildcat and Hound Dog heads where they work really well. The small ones aren't the same any more with just one mode.:(

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Coyote302: In regards to your questions about Peak. I am very interested in their products but get confused with their website and all the options, etc. They made it too hard for me to make a decision.
Take care,
Dave

Coyote302

Newly Enlightened
Coyote302: In regards to your questions about Peak. I am very interested in their products but get confused with their website and all the options, etc. They made it too hard for me to make a decision.
Take care,
Dave

Their website is pretty bad. Beyond how difficult the site is to navigate, it seems that the product information there is out of date. I have read that they are good people to talk to but I haven't reached them on the phone yet. I've had better luck getting information from their supplier's site http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Peak.html. That site is pretty funky too but seems to have the current product line-up and better information. This page http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/InfoPage.html (are these links OK?) has some good information in the pdfs.

I'm finishing an Excel spreadsheet "calculator" that generates the output and runtime based on Power Level and battery choice using the information provided in the XPG-R5 Battery info page. I made more progress last night and I just want to clean it up before putting it out into the public.

With that said, here's to each of our Malkfoff MD2's. :party:

Regards,
Rich

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is severely tricky to get programmed, but once you get it set, it's the best UI around. I was turned off by the apparent difficulty of programming one for a long time, but it's actually fantastic. As is, it's the best light made for extreme conditions. If / When they upgrade the emitters and output it will be unmatched.

ToNIX

Enlightened
I was going to recommend the Malkoff MD2/M61/High-low switch. Get the MD2 turnkey to save some $$!

Such an awesome light :D

zulu45

Enlightened
Surefire lights are pretty nice, although I don't know anything about replaceable heads. Many lights like the 6P are easy as can be to mod, though. I think Surefire will probably meet all of your requirements.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Peak Pyrennes with a 4 position judco switch. The switch is 100-50-25-strobe-off. The light comes with a black delrin shroud

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I want:

• Made in the USA
  • Current LED technology
  • Something that can be easily upgraded over time
  • Flexible...different types of heads available
  • Simple High / Low UI, no need for strobes...
  • A company with very good service
  • Good value

Hmmm...One company comes to mind...

Try a Surefire C/P/ or G model. The 6P is dead simple but still can met all the requirements listed. The C2 is also a sweet light! Welocme to CPF BTW!

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
The MD2 arrived and all I can say is...damn. This light is worth the money. Great beam and power. I think I'm going to stick with Mr. Malkoff on future purchases.

At some point down the road when the M61 is outdated, how do you get that drop in out? It seems pretty well stuck in there.

Thanks,
Dave

nbp

Flashaholic
Aww crap. My Post here got lost on Sunday apparently. :rant::scowl:

Ok, I think what I said was that if you can't get Malkoffs, Nailbender makes really good dropins too. One of his regulated 3 mode Sst50 dropins in a SF C2 with a MCClicky makes a very cool light. I love mine.

MikeE

Newly Enlightened
Glad too see U.S. made your first priority! As a Motor City resident, I am witnessing firsthand the devestation caused by outsourcing. Your Malkoff choice was wise and proves the quality and value that is still available here at home. Now would be a good time for everyone to put the same effort into all purchase decisions.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
I'm so impressed with the M61 beam and output. lovecpf

How does the M31 beam and output with one CR123 compare to the M61 beam on my MD2? If it's similar that would be amazing.

Regarding the M31, can it be set up with a high / low switch?

Thank you.
Dave