Ever get to the point where you don't "want" anymore flashlights???

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where you don't "want" anymore flashlights??? :mecry:

I mean, I want an M3LT, a UB3T, a KROMA MIL-Spec (cough)...but they are all out of my price range, and so get put on the "unattainable" shelf in my noggin. I wouldn't mind having some old Centurions (an extra C3, etc.), or an old L1-RD...but with all the lights I have, I don't "want" any...

So, I have basically every flashlight I want right now...I can't think of ANY other flashlight I'm trying to obtain. My last light I ordered was an A2L-RD...once it get's here, I don't really have a need for any other lights.

How'd I get to this point? Well, I have just about every model of SF made, including bezels, heads, etc., minus the "special" (titan/Kroma Mil-Spec, etc.) ones, and some of the newer one's that are reiterations of the old models.

There still a few parts I'd like to have as well, to play lego's with (an LU10, a few more clickies, and some warm malkoff's). But their are no more lights...

Am I going to have to revoke my "Flashaholic" Card??? Anybody else ever get this way? Am I alone in reaching the peak of "Flashaholism"??? If so, let's hear your story, and if ya ever came back...I'm not done here at CPF (way too many cool people), but I'm done "light hunting" and searching the MP for lights...or even saving for a light...

Let's hear your "moments" or "close calls"! :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ever get to the point...

I keep trying to convince myself that I'm done. That I don't want any more lights... then...
I see the M2 and I want that one.
I add a FM34 on my G2 and now it kinda feels small, I want a G3 body for it.
I see Overready and his really cool colors, I want a white C3.
I see the fatty M3 and fall in love.

By now you and I should have figured out where this is going:mecry:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

I'm pretty much done. I've moved onto knives for the moment, but I keep updated on the state of LED technology because I know as soon as there are improvements in output or tint that get spread to the masses I'll be back in spending money here. Also, the new SFs are keeping me interested to some extent, especially with those bargain prices. I have a shelf full of Surefires I don't even use, and I find myself wondering which ones I might want to part with. I'm sure it'll come full circle though and if I sell any of them I'll regret it in a few months so for now, they just collect dust.

TwinBlade

Enlightened

I think the intrigue that keeps us buying is upgrades that seem to come monthly. You may not "want" it, but that little devil on your shoulder is whispering so convincingly that you "need" it.

I remember when I was heavily involved on bowhunting and archery forums. Every model year has a couple extra feet per second and everyone HAD to have it. I was no different. Quieter, faster, more energy, less hand shock... Then I sat down and figured out just what exactly 4 FPS meant in real world energy terms...not much. They would now have to make a quantum leap of a solid 30-40 FPS, everything else being equal, before it piqued my curiosity.

The problem with flashlights, is they ARE making those strides. My Inova T1 and T2 I bought 2 years ago are still bank vault solid and excellent lights. They are dwarfed, however, by today's standards. It makes a solid argument from transitioning "want" to "need" when making a purchase. :D

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened

I felt that way once I obtained a McLux PD - Alum. Thought, I really am happy, I don't need any more. Not buying any more......then I bought another McLux PD - Alum. It's for backup.....really.....and it had a Trit, so it's different.........honest....

curtispdx

Enlightened

I know exactly what you're saying. I think I have all the lights I need now. (Other than a Surefire 10X Dominator that I've got my eye on...)

I spent a lot of money getting to this point but its been fun. ;)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your condition is called maturity!

While the latest 700 lumen light is entertaining, is it really practical? I love my M6 but when I take it camping it gets used for about 5 minutes then put away. My E1e? It is the most popular hand held I have around camp.

Once you have a multimode light that satisfies your particular tastes and brightness levels what more is there? Same thing with Surefires, once you have 19 why do you need one more?

Practical, not tactical. I'm sure if you had an unlimited budget your views would change. I myself am 2 years behind the "bleeding edge" when buying LEDs. They are cheaper and after 200 lumens you're just showing off. My KX2C will throw further than I can see, so why would I need something brighter?

But if I can get a great deal on the latest 700 lumen light...

Darvis

Enlightened
I am so heavily saturated with lights at this point that my backups have backups for their backups, it's become insane. And what's happened to me? Lumen chasing has been supplanted by low and useful runtimes... Much like Kelmo above, the 700 lumen wow factor is great to have for the creatures far out of the campfire light, but the reality is that my Ra, Peak, or L1 are far more useful with their long running lows.

I, personally, have enough and the lights that I bought are ones that are easily upgraded (P60 modules, etc.) so any future expense will be minimal... I'm a happy camper right now!

Illum

Flashaholic
Ever get to the point where you don't "want" anymore flashlights???
currently there, life is good:grin2:

the end of new lights allowed me to reconnect with my old ones...I was just out in the yard with a regular minimag the other night and that was fun:cool:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...lots of great stories here and "experience"/"Lessons learned". Yes, the low out put lights are now becoming my most used...the best beams...the only thing I really "lack" is an LED Hand-Cannon...waiting for an M3LT to show up on the MP for cheap! keep them coming...great reading!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am there every month - and then I see something in the Marketplace I just gotta have.

To me credit I haven't bought more than 2 new lights in all of 2010. It's all been buying/selling used ones. And, like Darvis, I've got my 6Ps whose drop-ins will always be upgradable to the latest and greatest.

Unfortunately it is the Custom market which has grabbed my interest lately...... That and very slowly growing collection of E-series incan history.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that I've gotten to that point.

Right now there are a couple of lights that I do want, but it's only to be able to complete my set of iTP A3 EOS lights in every colour.

Beyond that there is nothing out there that really interests me at this time.

Perhaps if I was able to sell off the lights I have that sit unused, I'd find something more practical to replace them with.
But then again, the lights I have that are my "go to" lights already do what I need them to.

red02

Enlightened
After about a year since buying my first good light (not counting the Photon Freedom) I'm pretty much done wanting more lights. Thanks to the SF HS1 I want for nothing in a light. My next purchase will probably be just the Z2 incan just for the looks. Maybe an HDS after a while but all of my other lights are purely functional.

I really don't see the point in buying more LED lights until they get decent runtime of 4-5hrs at 500-600 otf lumens. But then again, I was never much of a collector...

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL Kroma "mil-spec"!

I havent been doing this as long as you, and cant say that I dont want anymore, cause it seems everytime I buy another light, I just move on to whats next.
I can say that I am much more picky than i used to be, mainly looking at surefire, HDS at the moment. theres still some zebralights im waiting for too. and of course there are those heavenly Spies, especially the Tri-V:drool::faint::sigh:. and McGizmos. which I will probably not allow myself to purchase.

hopefully after an oveready cerokote C2 and high cri clicky i can be done, for a while, at least.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am kind of at that point too. At this point, significant steps up in quality, brightness or UI will cost more than I can afford to spend.

I just do not have the financial reserves to go crazy.

I'll probably stick with the DX-junk for a while.:twothumbs

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the end of new lights allowed me to reconnect with my old ones...

That's part of it for me as well...I don't like "wasting" money, so I'm at a stage, where I need to start enjoying the one's I have through actual use, rather than carrying it for a week when it's new and then throwing it in the pile with the rest of them...my lights are to "fun" not too use, so i have a decent enough selection where I don't have so many, I can't pick up my old M3 once every other week and take it for a walk.

I am so heavily saturated with lights at this point that my backups have backups for their backups, it's become insane. And what's happened to me? Lumen chasing has been supplanted by low and useful runtimes... Much like Kelmo above, the 700 lumen wow factor is great to have for the creatures far out of the campfire light, but the reality is that my Ra, Peak, or L1 are far more useful with their long running lows.

Yes, that too comes with with being "saturated" by lights...you learn to see what really gets used (the long running lows), and realize that having 20 hand cannons is about useless...

I know exactly what you're saying. I think I have all the lights I need now. (Other than a Surefire 10X Dominator that I've got my eye on...)

I spent a lot of money getting to this point but its been fun. ;)

I really liked those at first, but after getting the rest of my SF's I lost my taste/urge for one...but, those were the kinda of lights I mentioned at the top of my post, where they're too expensive up front (i.e. "out of reach"), but if money were no object, you'd buy one type deals. I should be getting a decent tax return this year, so maybe I'll splurge and get an M3LT??? If my wife let's me...

I'm pretty much done. Also, the new SFs are keeping me interested to some extent, especially with those bargain prices. I have a shelf full of Surefires I don't even use, and I find myself wondering which ones I might want to part with. I'm sure it'll come full circle though and if I sell any of them I'll regret it in a few months so for now, they just collect dust.

Yep Gallon...I remember when you were psoting at least ten posts what seemed daily...as far as one's I don't use, I put them in two categories...

1) I really don't use it or need it...and it goes on the MP.
2) I really don't use it, but what is does non-replicable, that I hold onto it for SHTF scenarios...my M6/M4 fall into this scenario...

And yes, if "you like it" for what it is all around, you will regret...I traded my E2L for a 2nd U2...luckily, the guy sold it back to me a few months later...that was a close call...it was so neat and unique (100 hour runtime on low), it was hard to replace...I really missed that light for the 4-5 months subie-driver had it.

I think the intrigue that keeps us buying is upgrades that seem to come monthly. You may not "want" it, but that little devil on your shoulder is whispering so convincingly that you "need" it. The problem with flashlights, is they ARE making those strides. My Inova T1 and T2 I bought 2 years ago are still bank vault solid and excellent lights. They are dwarfed, however, by today's standards. It makes a solid argument from transitioning "want" to "need" when making a purchase. :D

Yes...I really think we are in the "Golden Era" of Flashlights right now...with LED technology the way it is, and everyone adopting it for non-flashlight uses, those technologies will lead to even MORE quantum leaps for the flashlight industry...I don't even think we reached the peak of it yet...

Thanks for all the replies! :popcorn: Keep 'em coming!

Vesper

Enlightened
Your condition is called maturity!

While the latest 700 lumen light is entertaining, is it really practical? I love my M6 but when I take it camping it gets used for about 5 minutes then put away. My E1e? It is the most popular hand held I have around camp.

Once you have a multimode light that satisfies your particular tastes and brightness levels what more is there? Same thing with Surefires, once you have 19 why do you need one more?

Practical, not tactical. I'm sure if you had an unlimited budget your views would change. I myself am 2 years behind the "bleeding edge" when buying LEDs. They are cheaper and after 200 lumens you're just showing off. My KX2C will throw further than I can see, so why would I need something brighter?

But if I can get a great deal on the latest 700 lumen light...

This about sums it up for me in several ways, but I'm always looking... :naughty: Moved more into the "practical" stage - just looking for that one "perfect" light. ;)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
This about sums it up for me in several ways, but I'm always looking... :naughty: Moved more into the "practical" stage - just looking for that one "perfect" light. ;)

It doesn't exist (in fact, it never exists) - which is what makes the hobby so much fun! :twothumbs

As an example - my wife and I have been looking for that perfect car for some time now. It would be an SUV that drives like a sports car with a convertible top. :)

Imon

Enlightened
Well....
I know this and everyone here knows that lighting and battery technology will always continue to advance so even if you are satisfied with your current stockpile, you'd come back in 2 or 3 years and think "I really need to upgrade!" :rolleyes:

I know I'll probably never reach that point where I won't buy anymore lights.

1anrm

Enlightened
Yup, reached a point where I don't need anymore. I think I reached that when I got my QuarkAA neutral tac. Set it to high and strobe and that's all I needed. I still look at the newer lights but nothing that I could use. I rarely rotate to my other lights now. Like others I've gone to knives so really I didnt change spending just focused on something else! :sick2: The new line of Fenix neutrals seems interesting though.