Quark Mini AA 14500

carl8190

Banned
I have just brought a New MINI AA but im using 14500, My 14500 is not protected as my AW protected dont fit properly. I know i need to watch the 14500 to make sure it doesnt drop too low or it will not charger correctly and be dangerous. What Volts should I stop using the battery and recharge it? Is it 3.6v?

fran82

Newly Enlightened
Yes.... 3,6

Dropping below 3,6 is not healthy to the batt.

And below 2,75 volt, is dangerous if trying to recharge

Always if possible, recharge even is at 3,9 volt. Will last more cycles of charge/discharge

PerttiK

Enlightened
The AW and every other 14500 fit fine, when you bend the spring to smaller diameter, so it fits in the recess on the bottom.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the aw protected fits all my aa minis. take out the spring and fully compress it, if it "lay on top of itself" fully compressed, just cut off the one mm or so of the base of the spring. Easy fix, done in less than one minute. i have some minis and had to cut slightly off the base of the spring in 2 of them to fit a aw 14500.

pobox1475

Enlightened
What Volts should I stop using the battery and recharge it? Is it 3.6v?
I love AW protected cells along with high quality NiMh. The Mini is my main carry Quark. I decided to forgo utilizing a Li-Ion since it basically rendered it a two mode output light. High can only be used for short periods. Not worth the added risks IMHO so it gets fed from a Eneloop and works great in this capacity. Just my 2 cents...

Hellbore

Enlightened
For what it's worth, my Ultrafire protected 900mAh 14500 fit fine in my Quark Mini AA. If you need a cheaper alternative.

Got mine on Battery Junction for cheap-ish, without the 2 to 3 week wait (like from DX, etc)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire protected batteries vary a lot in size. I have one that won't fit my miniAA/EZAA (too fat). And it won't fit in my Ultrafire WF-138 10440.14500 charger (too long).

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several Utrafire and AW Cells and have been using both for a few years . FWIW recently I've expanded my 14500 cell count to almost 10. One died recently:( . That's happened a few times

I do think that the AW cells look, and feel, like they are made with attention to quality. There is nothing wrong with the look of the UF.
I use the the 14500 cell daily. UFs alot, I would not hesitate to buy another, and probably will soon.

concerning the failures I mentioned, the cells seemed fully charged and failed to deliver enough power. When I switched cells, (freshly charged in same charger) the light worked great. I can only try to guess How /Why the cells failed.:confused: The cells were not a "cheap cheap mystery brand"