E2e/E1e and Pila 3.7v LA

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried to remove the reflector from a Pila 3.7v LA.? What I'd like to do is use the LA in my E2e with a rechargeable and possibly in my E1e with a single 123.

Any info would be appreciated.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony:

The Pila 3.7 V LA comes with only an anode spring, not the larger outer cathode spring of the SF Px, Nx, and MNx LA's.

I made mine work in a 6P by using a loose, cut-off Cathode spring from a dead P61 LA, but I couldn't arrange for good contact with a 6P head on an e2C adapter and e2 body.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux,
I know that you have experience with mods. Do you think that this is a lost cause?

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
you can use the 3.7V LA on an E2E if you use an E2C adapter, the "Surefire" spring provided by Pila and a "C" bezel. It works well but its no longer as small and sexy as the E2E.

However I do not think you will be able to put the lamp inside an E2 head just by taking off the reflector. Even if you do manage to get the reflector off, I don't think you will be able to fit it inside an E2 because the metal base of the lamp is way too big to allow the bezel to be screwed down.

If you have a lathe, however, you could probably machine away the reflector and part of the metal base to get it to fit. Seems like more trouble than its worth and you would need to be careful not to damage the lamp during machining.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sproing mentions the SF spring provided by Pila. It may work with an e2c. I bought my 3.7 V lamps directly from Pila back in March and they forgot to send springs to me.

IMHO I would much prefer to use a larger head and an e2c adapter on an e body than to incur the expense of modifying an e2e bezel and every LA that goes into it.

The P61 e2e mod has run time limitations due to heat issues. It may be that the 3.7 v LA would as well.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. Yea, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Latest posts