Surge Ticking Sound

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just received a like-new Surge today and am delighted with it. With all I had read on cpf I felt totally familiar with it. The switch, which I thought of as ugly and low-tech, is incredibly functional. Solid on/off detents but so smooth in the middle. You could send Morse Code with it.
I have one specific question for other Surge owners. Does yours have something loose under the PCB? I isolated a tiny yet disappointing clicking sound after disassembly. I even removed the PCB mounting plate from the battery holder. Holding the switching mechanism in under the mounting plate does not stop it. It could be a foriegn object loose under there.
The seller was kind enough to respond from work but his other Surge is at home so he can't check it out and I have to know now.
smile.gif

Thanks,
Jim
P.S. You don't have to disassemble your light to hear it.
smile.gif

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Well my Surge has a slight "tick" when I turn it on or off is that what you were referring too?
Or were you referring to a rattling sound when the light is shaken? If so that's just the catalyst pellet that I believe all PT lights have.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The catalyst pellet! I forgot all about the catalyst pellet! What's the catalyst pellet? Does it have something to do with underwater pressure, the fact that this is a dive light?

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
From what I've read batteries emit hydrogen gas and could cause an explosion so the pellet sucks up the gas and keeps your flashlight safe
smile.gif
. Only a problem with watertight flashlights since other flashlights have ventilation.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks very much! Now that I know it is supposed to make this teeny tiny little ticking sound when shaken, and that it's the catalyst pellet, I will hold this light in even higher regard.

Jim

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I was just speed reading down this thread "Surge Ticking sound" "Morse Code" "Explosion".
Should keep the guys at Echelon on their toes anyway.

Grummond.
grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is off topic but i just had to research what Grummond meant by Echelon.

I did a web research and found this site.

Echelon Watch - site is designed to encourage public discussion of this potential threat to civil liberties, and to urge the governments of the world to protect our rights. A project of the ACLU

...all in the name of national security.
grin.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Does this catalyst pellet ever wear out? I've never thought about it before but it makes sense not to mix H2 gas with batteries... It was mentioned PT's have them, do ALL dive lights have this?